Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

about the new surge 2013

YIVAN · 80 · 21581

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: about the new surge 2013
Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 01:22:25 PM
considering it's the 19th, I really hope that mr. Leatherman shows the door to the responsible project manager. we can put that in my professional deformations

glad to see the upgraded surge finally hitting the market though
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 03:09:47 PM
Yeah...Canada is usually last in line when it comes to Leatherman products...and it pains me to say this as I am a big Leatherman fan.

Nothing on eBay.ca yet.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 04:17:17 PM
Ok so whoever have the new one can they do even a mini review/comparison?
Does the thumb pad on the scissors cheaper? Do locking springs stil miss the holes on blades?
Did they fixed the problem with plier head jamming on a flat screwdrivr when closed?

Huh? Huh?

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 06:33:29 PM
Ok so whoever have the new one can they do even a mini review/comparison?
Does the thumb pad on the scissors cheaper? Do locking springs stil miss the holes on blades?
Did they fixed the problem with plier head jamming on a flat screwdrivr when closed?

Huh? Huh?

I don't know that I'll be the first, but my package is allegedly due to arrive on Wednesday.  Seemingly since murphy's law has left something of a pallor over this whole LM project...I'll wait and see if it's even the right package.  The people at Moontrail, however, seemed to know what they were talking about - also very, very nice -- and even called me back when it was up on their website.  Now - actually, in terms of customer service, that's what I'm talking about.  More of that please [and thank you].  I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a dime for every time someone in 'customer service' told me they were going to do something for me over the phone...

Eh, more to the point - I'd be glad to do a review once I get it.  I'm still excited, though my excitement being tempered by the paranoid idea that my rush to get it super-hyper ASAP may net me one of the models they didn't catch before their 'problem'.  Just hold me; I'm so frightened!   :cry:

Surely, though - all will be well, right?   :D  :cheers:
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

hr Offline markonvs

Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:59 AM
New Surge finally on LM site   :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 04:11:52 PM
New Surge finally on LM site   :tu:

Jeez, took them long enough, didn't it? :wait:
3-surge.jpg
* 3-surge.jpg (Filesize: 38.59 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:35 PM
Well, Moontrail sent me the old Surge!   :rofl:  WTF?!  Frankly, with all that's happened, I kept my expectations low all the way around.  Still - they're good about it.  They are going to email a label [for shipping old Surge] and are sending the new one out today at n/c.

I need a drink... ::) :cheers:

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:58 PM
I am sooo dissapointed with the scissors thumb pad...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 09:32:03 PM
I am sooo dissapointed with the scissors thumb pad...

Why is that a problem? The Victorinox scissors which are considered one of the best of any multitool don't have one either and I never heard anyone complaining about the lack thereof. I never cared it too much. It might be better this way.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:13 PM
Not in the UK store yet though
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:34 PM
Maybe not a tragedy but definitelly a downgrade from a nice rubbery pad. And remember that Surge scissors are big and beefy and designated for heavy cuting. This will hurt...

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 01:02:44 AM
Maybe not a tragedy but definitelly a downgrade from a nice rubbery pad. And remember that Surge scissors are big and beefy and designated for heavy cuting. This will hurt...

If it's that big a problem, why not take some plasti-dip to the handle?  Then - done, no?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 01:06:39 AM

If it's that big a problem, why not take some plasti-dip to the handle?  Then - done, no?

Or a small amount of thin rubber tube
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline angusW

Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:00 AM

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Got some blue plasti-dip waiting for the new Surge scissors.

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 01:33:54 AM

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Got some blue plasti-dip waiting for the new Surge scissors.

Hey!  Great minds think alike.  I'll have to get the new Surge first before I can even assess.  Now this is supposed to happen on Friday.  We'll see... :P

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 07:23:06 PM
The problem is that you shouldn't have to "improve" the tool straight from the factory. It was better, now it's worce. Downgrade to save money which by definition is bad.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 07:27:54 PM
The problem is that you shouldn't have to "improve" the tool straight from the factory. It was better, now it's worce. Downgrade to save money which by definition is bad.

agreed, however,  I will probably use heat shrink to add a little relief.

but I do agree that I should have to
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline angusW

Reply #77 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:10 AM
There are some people here who can't help themselves and do some sort of improvement to most of their mt's.

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 01:55:58 AM
Leatherman has updated the product page, and posted about it on facebook.

Does anyone know where I can get a non-black-oxide new Surge? I really really really want to get my hands on one  :ahhh

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 08:59:01 AM
There is another thread with a yt video that compares old and new. I think the guy got it from REI. I back ordered mine from REI as well as they are the only company I could find so far that will ship overseas. They say that back orders normally take 2-3 weeks. Probably months before they turn up in UK anyway. :)

PS. I think I have to eat my words on the scissors thumb pad. Not a bad solution.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%