Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coloured alox Why??

tosh · 42 · 4467

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Coloured alox Why??
Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 05:56:53 PM
Wenger vs. Victorinox
First I don't think that the 111mm has anything to do with Wenger. Its the result of Switzerland being in bed with the European Union. This meant that the Soldier 08 Knife competition would have been open to companies from all over the world. Fearing that some Chinese manufacturer would outbid Vic, simply for the bragging rights, a decision was made to upscale the knife. Larger + OHO equals weapon and therefore was not subjected to international competition.

I think one huge difference between the two brands is where they originate from. While Wenger is from the canton (state) of Jura (French speaking) Victorinox is from the heart of Switzerland, canton Schwyz (German speaking).
So Wenger is by nature the more playful company. Bringing out more different products, probably even being more innovative. But ultimately if you have too many products when compared to the sales numbers profit diminishes and that is why Wenger failed.
Victorinox is almost completely resistant to change. They evolve very slowly but I dare say most of their products are winners. Also I find their products much more refined, e.g. the 111mm are much more comfortable to hold than the RangerGrip.

By default Alox scales cost the same for the same product. For example red/black/silver MiniChamp all cost the same. However, more exotic = rare lines differ with the simple mathematics, lower production number = higher price. And herein lies the contradiction. If you are unwilling to pay more for smaller production lines you ultimately doom them to fail, be it colored Alox or "exotic" Wenger Knifes. As a matter of fact, to me it appears to be the other way round. Wenger had to produce SAK at Victorinox price level without the same sales volume. No need for a degree in economics to see the problem there.

And yes, I think Victorinox could use a kick in the but to bring out some more innovation (like the sak with a measuring tape, seen in the museum). On the other hand I believe their main profit comes from Perfume / Cloth / Watches and Kitchen Knifes, so while the SAK's are important to their reputation they certainly are not their money cow.
I have purchased limited edition Alox SAKs before but as a normal practice, I just cannot justify the price. I'm happy with plain silver Alox and when offered a coloured equivalent piece for 4 times the price, tend to just buy 4 plain Alox versions instead. It's simple economics...
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 06:50:01 PM
[...]It's simple economics...
It is.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:46 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 05:29:14 AM
I have two colored Aloxes, both TSA sezuires. I paid a lot less than market.

But if I was to find a red Farmer next to a silver one, both NIB, and the red one was only like five or six dollars more, absolutely I'd pay it. Why? Becuase if it isn't red, people don't think it's a SAK. If it isn't a SAK, it is an oh-my-god-he-has-a-knife. Besides, a red knife with a red lanyard is easier to find in the snow than a silver knife with a silver lanyard. 
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:58 AM
Why colored alox? For the same reason I prefer Monet to Whistler. I'm a visual animal.

Regatta At Argenteuil.jpg
* Regatta At Argenteuil.jpg (Filesize: 162.95 KB)
300px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg
* 300px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg (Filesize: 16.44 KB)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 06:00:28 AM
Because the white cross aloxes are goona put the smackdown on some evil!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 06:11:55 AM
Thank for the heads up!  I just ordered three.  Orange is rather keen.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:57 PM
Crap three more, wtf is wrong me with.

:p

Offline NG VI

Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 08:57:20 PM
I had to get one, I like the colored ones very much and the Cadet has got to be my favorite for a day off or if I'm unsure what I might need, and suspect nothing at all. 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 10:53:21 PM
Mmmm, orange Cadet is  :drool: 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 12:28:28 AM
More like this one. :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31