Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Tactile(s); Wenger Soft Touch. SAKWIKI

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Wenger Tactile(s); Wenger Soft Touch. SAKWIKI
on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:56 AM
I agree that a dedicated page would be great.
My sugestion would be to keep separated the Tactile series from the Soft Touch, as they were completely different.
Was it confirmed that the Tactile was referred as the Soft Touch, as written here?
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Traveler
Sorry for the small off-topic

I have the recollection of the two terms being used interchangeably, possibly in an early ad, but can't document it. Since they are not currently being used that way, I have no strong opposition to separating them. As mentioned to Nicola, what I was thinks was listing the Tactiles and Soft Touches, either together or separately, and then linking them to the variations under the base model, rather than have two entries for them.

I started doing just that but stopped until we come to an agreement.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Tactile+-+Soft-Touch+Series

I'll go on with the discussion here, as original the topic was related to other knives.
first of all, in my opinion, it would be important not to create confusion with the words used.
With the word "Soft Touch" scale, I mean Evo scales (eorgonomics) covered with neoprene.
The scales used for the three models of the Tactile series are completely different, as they used standard classic cellidor scales, covered by neoprene. They are no Evo scales.

Tactile
I have three documents.
The first is the old picture from an EDCSource auction.
The link is broken now, but luckily I saved the picture on my work pc.
I will post it on this topic Tomorrow.
The two others are scans from a 2005 and a 2006 european catalog.
I uploaded them on the wiki, but here they are

I made a visit  to a local shop today, and the 2005 dealer's catalog (which I sadly don't own) shows all the three Tactiles.
The shop owner is going to make a copy of this page for me.
Will post when available.

I uploaded on the wiki two single catalog pages.
The first one is from a 2005 European dealers catalog

(Image removed from quote.)
It shows the all three Tacticle models along with some other interesting stuff like the "Camo" line, which were basically the precursors of the Hardwood series (will update later the wiki with them).

The second page is from a 2006 European dealers catalog

(Image removed from quote.)
Only the Tacticle 811 is displayed (along with its catalog number).
Since they are not showing up, I think the Tacticles 813 and 812 were probably discontinued from this year.

Edit: Now just when I thought the research on the Tacticles was complete, I realized the Tacticle 812 shown above has the corckscrew instead of the phillips driver..... :ahhh

So the Tactile series has only three models:
Tactile 813 (small red)---Esquire (but with different scales)
Tactile 811 (blue/grey)---- Traveler (but with different scales and main blade)
Tactile 812 (black)-----Handyman (but with different scales and main blade);  Forester (but with different scales and main blade), only according to the 2005 european catalog
We have catalog number for the first two:
Tactile 813
Wenger Tactile 813 (with standard red Esquire). The Tactile has a matte red neoprene handle. Tried to take an indoor shot, but the color didn't really show properly.

Catalog number is: 1.81.11.813. Sold by Swissknife (Heidi Shop) for 19.80 SF / $15.84. Don't have a date.
I also think the old EDCSource picture confirmed this
Tactile 811 is 1.114.09.811
Tactile 812 [is 1.177.09.812 (?) (according to the message by Karl, but with corkscrew, see below)
I don't remember of the EDCSource image showed a catalog number for the model 812.
Now to create more confusion, the model I have of the 812 has a phillips driver.
The EDCSource image shows also a phillips driver (as far as I remember)
However, as you can see the 2005 european catalog shows a corkscrew.
I never saw one myself and I think it was probably a catalog error, but I'm not sure.
Also see here

Edit: Now just when I thought the research on the Tacticles was complete, I realized the Tacticle 812 shown above has the corckscrew instead of the phillips driver..... :ahhh

I have a picture of the Tactile 812 with a corkscrew and the number 1.177.09.812. Also have a picture of the phillips version, but no number. The one I have has the phillips. Wonder if it was a difference between Europe and North America?
-----------
Soft Touch
The only interesing thing I found was this
While searching for the Cascade (see above) through the various Wenger catalogs I have saved on my pc, I came across this page from the 2008 North America catalog.

Soft Touch 14 with locking blade???????
Was this model ever produced?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:54:00 AM by basilio »

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger Tactile(s); Wenger Soft Touch. SAKWIKI
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:56 AM
As for the wiki, here are my suggestion.
I would keep the Tactile series separated from the Soft touch for the above reasons.
I would not describe the Tactile's scales using the word "Soft Touch" (as for example in the Handyman page), as these ones were completely dfferent.
I would list the Tactiles only using the official three names, 813, 811, 812.
For the model 812 I would mention that a single catalog page showed the knife with corkscrew instead of the phillips driver.
Just please consider that these are only my toughts.
I would love to hear what other collectors think.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:29:14 AM by basilio »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:51:46 PM
I updated the Tactile - SoftTouch series thread and separated the two versions.

http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...ctile+-+Soft-Touch+Series ... still a work in progress...

I think it would be good to have them all listed within the same series page for SAKs with neoprene covered scales, but separated within the page to Tactile and SoftTouch with the difference explained in the thread title. It's not much of a series if it only has 3/4 knives. :D

As for the Tactile 812 corkscrew vrs phillips, we could add a reference to the Forester version, call it Forester Tactile 812 and say it was announced in the 2005 European dealers catalog but not confirmed that it ever went into production (with the addition of the catalog page - link or cropped picture). And add the phillips version as the Handyman Tactile 812 with the pictures of the actual knife.

Any thoughts?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:52:57 PM
Here are a couple of shots of the three Tactiles I have, without the Soft Touch. If someone could provide a separate shot of most or all of the four Soft Touches, that would be nice.

I like combining all the neoprene scaled versions under one heading, but separated into two different groups.

A dual listing for the Tactile 812 is probably the way to go. Maybe:

Tactile 812 (Forester/corkscrew)
Tactile 812 (Handyman/phillips)

The links and the info on the Forester version sound good.

The Soft Touches I'm aware of:

Soft Touch 10
Soft Touch 14
Soft Touch 17
Soft Touch Nail Clip

Most of these aren't imported into the US.

http://www.wenger.ch/special-design-soft-touch

IMG_3961.JPG
* IMG_3961.JPG (Filesize: 115.88 KB)
IMG_3965.JPG
* IMG_3965.JPG (Filesize: 113.04 KB)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:50:57 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:46 AM
With regard to the Evo ST 14 locking version; the number shown, 16831, is the same as used for the non-locking version.

http://www.wengerna.com/evolution-softtouch-14-16831

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:30:03 AM
Here is the image from the old EDCSource auction I was talking about

You can see that the 812 in the background has the phillips.
Also, I just noticed reading that catalog page (2nd line) that the scales were referred as "soft touch", so you Karl were very correct!
In my opinion, unless the existance of 812 with corkscrew is confirmed, it would be better to list only the "standard" 812, and perhaps mention in the description that the 2005 catalog showed the model with the corkscrew instead of the phillips.
I will think about a way to use the word "soft touch" to refer to both the Evo scales and the "classic" ones.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:51:04 AM by basilio »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:06:37 AM
On the Junior S10 Scout Nikola and I listed it separately with the note that it probably wasn't made. However that had a unique number. If you decide on one listing for the 812, with the note that some early catalog photos showed a corkscrew version that may not have been made, that works for me.  Might hold up a bit, though, and see if someone here comes up with one. Will also need to modify the writeup under Forester.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:38 AM
For what its worth, here's an Amazon UK ad that refers to the ST 17 as the EVO Tactile. Also saw several ads for Soft Touches that used the word 'tactile' in the description.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenger-Tactile-Black-Swiss-Knife/dp/B0017H9UUQ

"The "ST" stands for Soft Touch - a softer more tactile handle."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:32 PM
I'll wait till we come to an agreement and then continue. Other wiki and forum stuff is keeping me busy anyways. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:03:32 PM
OK, I've added the pictures for the SoftTouch ones, linked them to the models under variations, added the identifiers for those that were missing and added the pictures Karl provided for the Tactile ones closed and fanned. It would be nice if anyone has all of the SoftTouch ones to add to the listing also.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Tactile+-+Soft-Touch+Series

About the identifier for the Handyman variation.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Handyman#Variations

What is it in the end, 111809, 1.117.09.812 or 1.177.09.812? I got all three numbers for it posted here or per email so I don't know which is correct as I can't find any of them in the google listings.

And a better description of the whole series would be nice. Any suggestions. :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:59 AM
I think the Tactile-Soft Touch page looks good. However the Handyman page needs work. The Soft Touch under variations, and in the photo caption, need to be changed to Tactile.

As for the numbers: 111809 is not in my notebooks, but is in my spread sheet, which means it may have come off a box. The spread sheet number for the 811 is 111409811, which makes me think the other number may not be complete.

1.117.09.812 is the number I have for the 812 /Forester version. For the 812/Handyman version maybe leave the number off, with a note that there are several possibilities but we're not certain which is correct.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:11:42 PM
I think the Tactile-Soft Touch page looks good. However the Handyman page needs work. The Soft Touch under variations, and in the photo caption, need to be changed to Tactile.

As for the numbers: 111809 is not in my notebooks, but is in my spread sheet, which means it may have come off a box. The spread sheet number for the 811 is 111409811, which makes me think the other number may not be complete.

1.117.09.812 is the number I have for the 812 /Forester version. For the 812/Handyman version maybe leave the number off, with a note that there are several possibilities but we're not certain which is correct.

OK this was simple. :facepalm:

I just changed 17->18 and googled for 1.118.09.812 and now we have a model number for the 812/Handyman. 

http://www.dostavka-podarkov.ru/smoking/lighters/right_dop/2657/1/

All the hits I get are Russian or Ukrainian though.

So it looks like:
1.117.09.812 --> 812/Forester
1.118.09.812 --> 812/Handyman

Are we OK with those numbers, should I edit them in? :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:13:54 PM by enki_ck »

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:45:17 PM
I did try to check and found a japanese website listing the 812
http://homepage1.nifty.com/enman/wenger/2005-p7/111809812.htm
So the number 1.118.09.812 has an additional reference.
However, I couldn't find any reference for the 812 with corkscrew (1.117.09.812)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:42:52 PM
However, I couldn't find any reference for the 812 with corkscrew (1.117.09.812)

Neither could I. :-\

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:05:09 AM

Great work on the Handyman!

I got the number for the Forester/corkscrew version (1.117.09.812) along with a small downloaded photo. Looks like it might be a stock photo from a catalog, but not certain. Did we ever come up which any other reference to the Forester 812? If not, maybe list the knife as shown in an old catalog, but uncertain whether it was ever actually released.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:07:04 AM

I got the number for the Forester/corkscrew version (1.117.09.812) along with a small downloaded photo. Looks like it might be a stock photo from a catalog, but not certain. Did we ever come up which any other reference to the Forester 812? If not, maybe list the knife as shown in an old catalog, but uncertain whether it was ever actually released.

I honestly think that the 812 with corkscrew never existed, and it was just a catalog error.
If you look very closely to the picture, you can see that they just used the same knife for both the 811 and 812, only the scales  and the woodsaw are different.
Take a look at the shadow of the caplifter on the nail file. It is the same on both knives!
Also notice that one scissor tip is missing on the 812.
My idea is that when creating the catalog they forgot about the phillips.
Could you post the picture you have so we can compare?
812.jpg
* 812.jpg (Filesize: 311.92 KB)
811.jpg
* 811.jpg (Filesize: 293.27 KB)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:09:00 AM by basilio »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

I honestly think that the 812 with corkscrew never existed, and it was just a catalog error.
If you look very closely to the picture, you can see that they just used the same knife for both the 811 and 812, only the scales  and the woodsaw are different.
Take a look at the shadow of the caplifter on the nail file. It is the same on both knives!
Also notice that one scissor tip is missing on the 812.
My idea is that when creating the catalog they forgot about the phillips.
Could you post the picture you have so we can compare?

Finally learned how to scan images (I hope), but the files are too big to post here. Will email the info to you and Nikola.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 11:20:38 PM

Finally learned how to scan images (I hope), but the files are too big to post here. Will email the info to you and Nikola.

No problem, I'll reduce the size and send you a small tutorial on how to do it too. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 11:24:31 PM

No problem, I'll reduce the size and send you a small tutorial on how to do it too. :D

And here's the important part of it. ;)

tactile.jpg
* tactile.jpg (Filesize: 43.59 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:11 PM

Thanks, appreciate that.  :cheers:

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:00 AM
Thanks for the picture!
The image of the 812 with corkscrew is quite small, so I can't tell for sure if it is the same of the one from the 2005 catalog.
This knife is still a mystery  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:18 PM
Anyone come up with a proper description for these? Not so easy for me, not being a native speaker and all. :whistle:

;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD