Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Getting an old knife restored

gb Offline Eggman

Getting an old knife restored
on: November 11, 2013, 08:39:46 PM
First off I'd like to say this forum is a bad influence  :ahhh I find myself craving more knives every time I look on here  :drool:

I've got an old Luxury Automobile knife that I talked about in This ThreadI would like to get it fixed and then give it back to my uncle who gave it to me over 20 years ago.
Sadly the technicians screwdriver is damaged and the toothpick and tweezers are missing  :-[  :-[ I know the screwdriver has long been discontinued but do Victorinox stock old parts like that? Or does anybody know anywhere or someone that could restore it? Or is it likely to cost so much that it's not worth it.

Many thanks for any advice, Jon  :cheers:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Getting an old knife restored
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:58 PM
Victorinox is willing to do some very impressive stuff to restore a knife if it has sentimental value, so I would simply drop them a mail and ask them if that knife was something they could restore. Simply asking is often the easiest route...  ;)

gb Offline Ross

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:30 PM
I thought I would share my experience - I am lucky as I was able to drop this knife into the the Vic Store in London (my girlfriend world 7 doors away and going there for me tomorrow but that another story)

I managed to buy a Grand Prix of Ebay from a UK seller selling via ebay.com

any way the knife had a massive chink in the blade

I asked them if they could so something with the blade like sharpen and make it look as good as it can look with the chink, they sent it off for me and 3 months later I get a call to say its ready for collection  :mail:

This is what I got back  :drool:

As you can see the whole blade has been replaced and it has the same original tang stamps.

gb Offline Eggman

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:00:35 PM
Thanks for the replies  :mail:  :ahhh

Yes it's more a sentimental thing. When I spoke to my uncle about the knife recently he kind of hinted he wished he still had it so I'd like to get it fixed up and returned to its original owner (hopefully it'll come back to me again when I'm older  :gimme:)

Ross that's great! Thanks for taking the time to post that  :cheers:
It's not something I can afford to get done at the right now but it's heartening to hear that there is a chance that it's possible

Thanks again, Jon

gb Offline Ross

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:17 PM
Hi Jon,

I should have mentioned that they did not charge me fir this even though I offered to pay for the repair .

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:11:47 PM by Ross »

gb Offline Eggman

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:45 PM
Really?  :o :o
Thanks for that Ross will have to get in touch and see what they can do

Meant to say nice knife mate  :drool: Looks like it's fairly early, got the same Phillips as mine

gb Offline Eggman

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:15:06 PM
Had an email back from Victorinox  :mail: :)
Got to send it to the Uk service centre for inspection, apparently they only do minor repairs in house so it's most likely my knife is going back to the motherland  :salute:
Hope they can do something with the damaged technicians screwdriver, I can live without the nail cleaner on the end of the long nail file but the broken screwdriver really bugs me  :(

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:48:31 PM
Nice post Eggman and good luck with your Uncles SAK  :salute:

Its great to see yours restored Ross   :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Eggman

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 02:21:50 PM
Thought i'd add few pictures as it seems people like lots of pics on here  :whistle:

Have given the whole knife a clean up and the last two pics show the damaged screwdriver and nail file, not sure what they will say but will update this thread once it's been inspected

Jon
SAK1.jpg
* SAK1.jpg (Filesize: 451.83 KB)
SAK2.jpg
* SAK2.jpg (Filesize: 464.88 KB)
SAK3.jpg
* SAK3.jpg (Filesize: 403.13 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00