Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Charge ALX Question.

AdmSlc · 12 · 1552

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Leatherman Charge ALX Question.
on: November 24, 2013, 06:32:02 PM
I recently found a Leatherman Charge ALX brand new for around $20. It came complete with the sheath and Bit kit. When I saw that deal I just had to buy it!! I own many Leathermans and I have yet to see another one with two large bit drivers.   I am wondering why they would put two large bit drivers on there and sacrifice the scissors? Am I missing some secret advantage to having two separate large bit drivers? Seems a bit redundant (pun intended).

gb Offline BigMatt

Re: Leatherman Charge ALX Question.
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:38:26 PM
Charge is just the right size/weight for dropping in your pocket, and without the sheath you don't have storage for the bit kit. So the tool on it's own comes with 4 screwdrivers of your choice.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:50:27 PM
I had the ALX for a while and it was one of my favorite MT's. I never missed the scissors, yet loved the fact it had 2 bit large bit holders to hold a total of 4 bits. It is very convenient for everyday use.  :tu:
SAW

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
The 2 large bit drivers are very useful for people who work regularly with 2 different screw types, eg. philips and torx. Saves having to constantly change.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:15:48 PM
The 2 large bit drivers are very useful for people who work regularly with 2 different screw types, eg. philips and torx. Saves having to constantly change.
+1
SAW

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:20:17 PM

Exactly. On days when I know I'll be spending time in the lab at work, I carry a modded ALX for this very reason. I have the standard Phillips/flat bit in one of the drivers, and a 3/32" hex bit in the other one because I use that size on a regular basis. it's much easier than searching all over the lab for a hex driver because no one ever puts them away. ;)

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:21:28 PM
I guess that makes sense. I'll have to reconfigure the bit layout to maximize the capability. It came with 2 bits in the MT, one was a double sided Philips and a double sided flat head. I'll have to switch out the bits.
Thanks!

-AdmSlc

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:23:25 PM
one more thing, going back to the OP:

I own many Leathermans and I have yet to see another one with two large bit drivers. 

just FYI, the Charge XTi was the first Leatherman to have two large bit drivers. The ALX came out a few years later when they updated the Charge line. :)

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:32 AM
Being Canadian, Robertson heads are more common than Phillips, so having two bits is crucial to get anything done.

There is always a way, hack on!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:59:31 AM

I own many Leathermans and I have yet to see another one with two large bit drivers. 

just FYI, the Charge XTi was the first Leatherman to have two large bit drivers. The ALX came out a few years later when they updated the Charge line. :)
That's interesting I'm in a have to check out that early model of the Charge. Thanks for the info!!

-AdmSlc

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 09:20:57 AM

That's interesting I'm in a have to check out that early model of the Charge. Thanks for the info!!

-AdmSlc

no problem! :cheers:

I'm a big fan of the original Charge models... the Ti is still my favorite LM MT. :)

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:04 PM

-AdmSlc

no problem! :cheers:

I'm a big fan of the original Charge models... the Ti is still my favorite LM MT. :)

I too can't get enough of the charge series. Leatherman is also my favorite MT manufacturer.

-AdmSlc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD