Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LG Smart TV EULA.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
LG Smart TV EULA.
on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:17 AM
I have a 3D LG smart TV. Recently, someone noticed that LG smart TVs reported back to LG on all sorts of things, like watched channels, viewing habits, services used, etc. Heck, they even send file names from USB drives and HD plugged into the unit. Basically, LG got caught with their pants down spying on their customers.

I wasn't all that happy about reading this. However, things just went from bad to worse. 3 Days ago, LG stated they would fix the issue. Well I got an upload to my TV yesterday. I now know how LG fixed the problem. I tried to change the HDMI settings to get my Wii U set up to play a game I bought today only to find out that I was blocked unless I agreed to a new EULA. After reading all 26 pages of it, I was rather disgusted. If I agree, I basically give up all my privacy to LG and their partners. Way to go to fix this issue. Caught with your hands in the cookie jar...lets force everyone to accept a EULA that tosses and tramples all your privacy rights into the ground.

Well I was so pissed off I called LG Canada and complained to their support folks. I figure if enough LG customers do this...something will change. As it stands, I cannot change my output setting unless I agree. I am majorly pissed right now because I do not want to agree to this draconian EULA...and I so much want to play this new game. Right now, I have an LG Smart TV paper weight that will only allow me to watch channels but not access Netflix, change my HDMI output source, or anything else.  :poh:

Word to the wise, I cannot recommend an LG Smart TV to anyone right now.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: LG Smart TV EULA.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:10 AM
being a huge techie, I just ran across this story recently myself.

I think it is absolutely crazy that a EULA can be forced when it contains permissions that allows others access to information that has no bearing on the use of the device, just the spying rights of the device creator.

If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:00 AM
Wow, that's crazy!  I'd like to know how they can lock down your tv like that.  We have an LG tv, but we've never used any of the "smart" things on it. I run everything through our receiver, so there's only one HDMI cable going to the tv.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:59:56 AM
I guess the best you can do it find out which IP/address the TV is trying to connect to and block it in your router.

Kinda the same problem with phones, so I blocked all the known google tracking site on mine.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:20 AM
That might be the only way to go jzmtl.

Here is the guy who discovered the spying. He has a few findings posted on his blog.

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44