Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NEW Leatherman SURGE owners club.

BigMatt · 1558 · 134237

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: NEW Leatherman SURGE owners club.
Reply #210 on: August 26, 2014, 06:54:08 PM

@Etherealicer: I really liked the heavy\durable size of the Surge but I will take a look on them in my hand. But I'm not sure about that do I need this big tool or I'm okay with the Wave\Charge size....  ::)
 The bit extender will be a standard and first of all thing what I will buy to my LM  ;)
Mini-Surge  :multi:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #211 on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:28 PM
Mini-Surge  :multi:

It´s a little bit hard to buy 2 tools to make 1 from it - at european prices. It´s close as effective as burning money.   ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #212 on: August 26, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
The Mini-Surge contains parts from four different LM MTs, it is to show far MTO members can push on mods.
Bottomline is a Wave can get the job done.

hu Offline Josy

Reply #213 on: August 26, 2014, 08:38:15 PM
Hello Guys,

I'm new on this forum but i would like to get a Leatherman for first time.

A college of mine uses an LM Surge, the old one, i'm considering the newer one, but I don't really know is the plier way bigger on the newer one or not.

I've seen pictures from both MT's, but i'm still bushed do I need the new Surge coz it's size, or the Wave\Charge would be better.

BTW We're Aircraft mechanic\electricans in our work if somebody has better advice please say it for me.

Thx a lot!
Welcome Josy,

I had the same tough decision of which LM to get between the Surge and the Wave.  It's wasn't easy so I went with the Wave and have never regretted it. That being said I did finally get a Old Surge and WOW, this tool is everything you can imagine and more.  I ended up getting the New Surge and yet again WOW. 

Ok so if I have made things more complicated then sorry but I do have a point here somewhere  :think:.

The plier heads on the Old vs New Surge;
The new head has the 154CM replaceable cutters.  The cutters can get in the way when griping bolts but I haven't had much of an issue.  There are also a few more serrations on the regular plier part vs the Old Surge. The needle nose part is shorter as a result and I may be wrong but the serrations appear finer vs Old Surge.  The regular plier serration are also shallower, not a raised.

There are other differences but I tried to highlight what I feel makes a difference.

The Wave is a very competent tool and cannot IMO be compared to its larger brother.  In its own class its IMO the best multitool LM offers. 

It really comes down to how large of a tool are you looking for and are 154CM replaceable cutters that important to you.  Keep in mind the Surge is a beast and is best worn of the belt.

I hope I didnt make your choice harder and if you want to play it safe GET BOTH.
I tried to put the tools by some items that I hope you are familiar with.  The ST300 was thrown in just because. 

Thanks a lot for this comparsion it helped a lot.

My biggest problem is the LM prices are horrible in my country and it's hard to have a look on the selected one.

e.g. : surge 250 $ wave 200 $ charge 300$

My college of mine who had the old surge he was statisfied with the tool the other college said the wave is more than better for everything...
If I would go with wave size, the charge al is more symphatetic for me.

My first idea was to buy a big tool like surge and a smaller one micra or squirt ps4 but from time to time i read more and more and im getting more confused about the choosing... :ahhh

In the beggining i watched victorinox spirit and swiss tool also but after a while i just wanted LM for me...  :o

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #214 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:23 PM
My biggest problem is the LM prices are horrible in my country and it's hard to have a look on the selected one.

Welcome to the club, brother...pretty much all non-US coutries have the same issue when it comes with overblown multi tool pricing, and that's not just for Leatherman MTs.

I own close to 20 multi tools purchased over the last 16 or so years, and only the very first one my wife bought me on our honeymoon in Italy was the SAK Swiss Champ purchased in brick and mortar shop. All others were bought online mainly thru Amazon and eBay, usually at 1/3 of the price I would pay in NZ and previously in Cro for a particular model.

So my only suggestion to you would be - when it comes to sourcing of MTs, stick to online sources, most of those will have "for USA sale only" designation on their boxes but who cares really, these aren't life-or-death instruments, they're cool gizmos and contraptions most of us could live without anyway ;)

Cheers!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

hu Offline Josy

Reply #215 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:56 AM

Welcome to the club, brother...pretty much all non-US coutries have the same issue when it comes with overblown multi tool pricing, and that's not just for Leatherman MTs.

I own close to 20 multi tools purchased over the last 16 or so years, and only the very first one my wife bought me on our honeymoon in Italy was the SAK Swiss Champ purchased in brick and mortar shop. All others were bought online mainly thru Amazon and eBay, usually at 1/3 of the price I would pay in NZ and previously in Cro for a particular model.

So my only suggestion to you would be - when it comes to sourcing of MTs, stick to online sources, most of those will have "for USA sale only" designation on their boxes but who cares really, these aren't life-or-death instruments, they're cool gizmos and contraptions most of us could live without anyway ;)

Cheers!

Hey babola

My biggest problem with ebay\amazon if i buy them with the shipping cost and if i order something abroad from the EU with the taxes it will cost around a same amount of money maybe 20 $ less or something.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #216 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:14 AM
Mine is currently in the mail. It's going to be a long wait

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #217 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:52 PM
Where's the cheapest place to buy from in the US? I'm assuming posting to a US address for my friend to pick up when over there will be the cheapest option....

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #218 on: August 27, 2014, 02:04:48 PM
Watch on Ebay. You will see some good deals on there from time to time.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #219 on: August 27, 2014, 08:35:37 PM
Where's the cheapest place to buy from in the US? I'm assuming posting to a US address for my friend to pick up when over there will be the cheapest option....

I use YouShop service by NZ Post when the seller doesn't ship internationally. Intra-US shipping is usually free, then from US to NZ is about US$14 for something like multi tool or similar.

cheers.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #220 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:21 PM

My biggest problem with ebay\amazon if i buy them with the shipping cost and if i order something abroad from the EU with the taxes it will cost around a same amount of money maybe 20 $ less or something.

Uh oh...that's pretty bad my friend.... :(

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #221 on: August 31, 2014, 01:16:03 AM

I use YouShop service by NZ Post when the seller doesn't ship internationally. Intra-US shipping is usually free, then from US to NZ is about US$14 for something like multi tool or similar.

cheers.
Thanks for the tip mate.  :tu:

(seems to be a surge of kiwis around here lately...)

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #222 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:40 AM
The wait is over. My BO Surge arrived in the mail today.

WOW! What a beast. This is one awesome MT. I may do a review and give my own take on this but for now here is a few pictures. I've also done small mod if you will to allow a a hack saw blade to fit in the tool. Enjoy.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #223 on: September 09, 2014, 10:13:01 AM
Go Rossko!  Nice pics mate!  :cheers:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #224 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:56 AM
The wait is over. My BO Surge arrived in the mail today.

WOW! What a beast. This is one awesome MT. I may do a review and give my own take on this but for now here is a few pictures. I've also done small mod if you will to allow a a hack saw blade to fit in the tool. Enjoy.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh yes!  Welcome to the big boys club! :tu:

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #225 on: September 09, 2014, 10:43:40 AM
Welcome - the game is running until the heavy toys are done with playing.  :D

What mod was needed on yours? Mine took the other t-shank blades without any modifications.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #226 on: September 09, 2014, 10:45:21 AM
He cut the saw blade so it can be fold in

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #227 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:29 AM

:facepalm: I looked all around the holder, but not to the other end of the saw blade.  :facepalm:

Only added 2 sawblades myself, until now - a metal one which is short enough in it´s original shape, and a second metal one that is larger than the surge itself. Probably will add a long woodblade, too.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #228 on: September 09, 2014, 11:14:40 AM
Congrats Rossok!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #229 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:11 AM

Thanks for the assist lol.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #230 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:48 AM
Should I get BO or SS? I think I prefer the look of SS, any other factors to consider?

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #231 on: September 10, 2014, 12:19:07 PM
It depends.

While it looks better in black, on the stainless you would be able to see much better it it´s dirtied up with oil and grease after working on your cars engine or any machines - before you put it in your pocket or lay it down on your car seat.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #232 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:38 PM
Should I get BO or SS? I think I prefer the look of SS, any other factors to consider?

Go BO mate, nothing else compares  8)

Cheers.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #233 on: September 10, 2014, 01:05:01 PM
Pretty much depends on what you like. I like BO myself. But the SS looks sharp too. One thing about BO, you can do this......

....to it.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #234 on: September 10, 2014, 01:18:16 PM
Nice pics Babola.

I did manage to get my hands on a SS surge before I got my BO and it was very very nice, but, the black is just so bloody awesome lol. My advice, get down to your local store and have a look for yourself. Otherwise, when in doubt buy it in black haha.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #235 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:01 AM
But BO costs more , also any mods would have to be in BO also.
Decisions decisions...

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #236 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:30 AM
Decisions decisions...

It does...few extra $$ if any. It's worth it, believe me.

Just out of interest, what would you like to mod on a Surge? Some of the smaller tools?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #237 on: September 11, 2014, 12:51:28 PM
Hacks do not have to colour match. Well mine don't.
If you are going bluntnose then stainless could be better.
If you haven't seen them already I can point you to some pics.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #238 on: September 11, 2014, 12:56:56 PM
Decisions decisions...

It does...few extra $$ if any. It's worth it, believe me.

Just out of interest, what would you like to mod on a Surge? Some of the smaller tools?
About $20NZD more. Is it worth it if I prefer the look of the stainless? No. But who knows, I may change my mind.
I don't have anything particular in mind, also I'm not very familiar with them, but a fixed phillips would be nice. It's a shame that to mod something in you usually need to take something out.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #239 on: September 11, 2014, 04:03:42 PM
Tough call between the BO and SS  :think:.  I dropped a BO CnC  ( Cheap n Cheerful ) MT in the grass and had a heck of a time finding it.  While the BO tools are lookers it would depend on what you do with yours. 

I like my SS tools and have polished both my Wave and old Surge to a high gloss.  Good luck on your decision.

While they are two different versions here are a couple Surges SS and BO 
IMG_3928.jpg
* IMG_3928.jpg (Filesize: 224.15 KB)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:04:37 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99