Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trip to NZ help

Ross · 26 · 1817

gb Offline Ross

Trip to NZ help
on: December 02, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
OK so I less than 2 weeks I am taking a little trip from the UK to NZ for Christmas (spending with the in laws). I was debating to take one of my SAK's as I heard some conflicting info about traveling with a pen knife but as long as I pack it in the check luggage and declare it at both ends, I am sure I will be fine.

But here is the main issue - WHAT DO I TAKE?

I only want to take one and was thinking about the Explorer as my first choice - great tool set and not to big but there is always room for a few more tools  ;) - below is the tools up for concideration so I would love to get your input, I am sure there is some views knocking about somewhere  :whistle:

The activities I will be doing (that I know about) camping and fishing and a lot of meat eating  :rofl: 

Huntsman
Climber
Compact
Deluxe Tinker
Tinker
Explorer
Fieldmaster
Mountaineer
Spartan
Weekender
SwissChamp
Pioneer
Cadet
Tourist

The other option is not to take one and then buy a new one while I am out there - perhaps a silver fern one (although Ill be getting this anyway) :tu:

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Re: Trip to NZ help
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:07:37 PM
Swisschamp

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:13:40 PM
My vote is for the Climber. I have found it to be the best compromise of size and utility for me.
photo Climber.jpg
* photo Climber.jpg (Filesize: 173.94 KB)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:23:10 PM by DEMartin »
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:01:32 PM
The Rebar :whistle:
Leatherman

us Offline Timboslice

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:25 PM
I'd say one that u can live with if it dose get taken or lost.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:23:21 PM
Swisschamp
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:31:13 PM
I'd say one that u can live with if it dose get taken or lost.

+1 ^

If the NZ airport security people are anything like their Oz counterparts you could have anything taken away from you, regardless of whether it is supposed to be "legal" or not.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:34:40 PM
Alternatively, buy one when you get there
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:45 PM
Agree with taking something you wouldn't miss if you lost it.

Sounds like a great trip!  :tu:

P.S. What is a silver fern?

gb Offline Ross

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 12:37:06 AM

Alternatively, buy one when you get there
I think ill end up buying one over there, especially if the one I take gets confiscated lol

gb Offline Ross

Trip to NZ help
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 12:40:33 AM

so this is the climber (although the description says saw as well so Huntsman) with NZ silver fern scales http://www.qualityknives.co.nz/shop/Victorinox/Swiss+Army+KnivesPocket+KnivesMulti+tools/New+Zealand+Silver+Fern+1.3703.3M.html

Can't wait to get on the plan and out there. The only worry I have is the little one who just turned two on a 28 hour flight, it's going to be interesting hahahha.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:43:32 AM by Ross »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 12:53:21 AM
The only worry I have is the little one who just turned two on a 28 hour flight, it's going to be interesting hahahha.

Blimey, you're going to be popular! I took our kid to America no problems, but that's half the distance and she was only 6 months old, so she could nuzzle on mummy's hooters most of the way.

But onto more pressing matters  :whistle: :

I bought a lovely "New Zealand All Blacks" Climber in some gift shop in .....town.(forgotten the place.) (Yes, it too had the fern thingy.)

After owning it for about 5 seconds I realised it was a Chinese pseudo-SAK with blades hand crafted by the oriental equivalent of Fred Flintstone. After 2 days of zero use the side that said "New Zealand All Blacks" fell off so I was left with a chunk of cheap rusty crap in my pocket. That put me off SAKS in general for about 6 years when it occured to me that the Swiss stuff might not be so craptastic.

But you are familiar with the real thing and probably won't repeat my mistake...

Good luck on that flight!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:32 AM

so this is the climber (although the description says saw as well so Huntsman) with NZ silver fern scales http://www.qualityknives.co.nz/shop/Victorinox/Swiss+Army+KnivesPocket+KnivesMulti+tools/New+Zealand+Silver+Fern+1.3703.3M.html

Can't wait to get on the plan and out there. The only worry I have is the little one who just turned two on a 28 hour flight, it's going to be interesting hahahha.

Thanks for the info. Turns out I have one (a bit rough). Mine's a Climber.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 02:04:16 AM
Compact or Swiss Champ, either just enough or more than you need.
It's kind of my philosophy to a bunch of things...

Good luck.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:48 PM
I went for a trip to NZ im May this year, I took a Climber AND  a Swiss Champ... AND a Gerber Dime.

The Climber probably would have done everything I needed, but I wanted to have the extras on the SwissChamp for days when we went bushwalking etc.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:31:58 PM by PTRSAK »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 12:18:02 PM
Where are you going to?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:54:56 PM
From my trip to NZ (2004):

I had little problems with customs, however they want to see/clean your outdoor gear (make sure your camping / fishing gear is extra clean). So you probably should worry more about your outdoor gear than your SAK. On my way back I forgot a soldier in my pockets, they sent it by mail free of charge :salute:.

P.S.: On X-mas they don't sell alcoholic beverages  :ahhh and everything is closed (even KFC / McDonalds).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:27 PM
I would do SwissChamp and Explorer, better safe than sorry.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 08:01:17 PM
P.S.: On X-mas they don't sell alcoholic beverages  :ahhh and everything is closed (even KFC / McDonalds).

Not everything is closed - some 24 hour service stations are open and I think that some McDonalds would be open too.  I'm not too sure if you'd be able to find an open liquor outlet though.

It's not a problem to me, I've already bought my Xmas supply of alcoholic beverages and I'm not going anywhere on that day (family is coming to me).  I wont be short of food or drink on that day!
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 09:13:29 PM

Not everything is closed - some 24 hour service stations are open and I think that some McDonalds would be open too.  I'm not too sure if you'd be able to find an open liquor outlet though.

It's not a problem to me, I've already bought my Xmas supply of alcoholic beverages and I'm not going anywhere on that day (family is coming to me).  I wont be short of food or drink on that day!
Well, my special lady and I had to search for quite a while to find an open restaurant. It was a Chinese restaurant and probably the kids of the owner were serving because everybody else had his day off. Ordering was not without some obstacles but the food turned out excellent.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Ross

Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:30 PM

I went for a trip to NZ im May this year, I took a Climber AND  a Swiss Champ... AND a Gerber Dime.

The Climber probably would have done everything I needed, but I wanted to have the extras on the SwissChamp for days when we went bushwalking etc.

so no issues at customs with any of you knifes then - great photo by the way :)

gb Offline Ross

Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:51 PM

Where are you going to?
staying Totra vale just north of Auckland - we're the other half's family live so that's base. Not sure where we are camping as it's a surprise but can not wait.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 10:14:10 AM
My vote is a farmer plus a classic.  You may need the saw and the scissors on the classic are very capable. 

Failing having a farmer + a classic, the huntsman is very good solution, about a perfect size with a nice load of tools. 

My vote!

Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline getahl

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:40 AM
Except for a few models, most of my SAKs are fairly cheap to replace. I would recommend something with scissors, in your size of choice. If you want something just to open various sundries, Classics are cheap. Full sized, Climber. I've yet to actually use the saw on any of my SAKs whilst hiking or camping, but I usually just pack a Climber when traveling. But, your mileage may vary.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:43 AM
My vote is a farmer plus a classic.  You may need the saw and the scissors on the classic are very capable. 

Failing having a farmer + a classic, the huntsman is very good solution, about a perfect size with a nice load of tools. 

My vote!

Or a Farmer + scissors...

gb Offline Ross

Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:18 PM
OK so I have three days to go and I have finally decided the Explorer is the tool for me - great tool set and good weight not too big and not too small. I will probably change my mind again though hahaha.

I also just bought a Wenger Wenger Cobalt backpack for my travels and the bag has a pocket at the front for a SAK  :tu: - I love this bag

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%