Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use their limited edition SAKs?

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Anyone use their limited edition SAKs?
on: December 04, 2013, 02:25:36 AM
I've got SeaPioneers, First Mates, Midshipmans, Electrician Duos, and hopefully soon another Midshipman. Sure, the marlin spike isn't the most useful tool for everyday use, but the charm of using the tool is still there.

Do any of you folks use your limited edition pieces, or are they just collectibles? This isn't a profoundly new question, but I'm curious about your justification for using some of these SAKs.

Cheers!
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Anyone use their limited edition SAKs?
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:05 AM
I personally don't but if I had doubles I probably would.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:04 AM
Never, even my doubles don't get used.  :cheers:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:56 AM
Absolutely!  No shelf queens!  :viking:  Everything gets carried at least once.  My MT.O Anniversary Wenger was taken out of its box and put right into my pocket the second it arrived.  They're tools.  They were built to be used.  Now, do I make a rare or limited knife my EDC.  No.  Does some fancy engraving proclaming it "1 of 50" protect it from getting carried a few times, and God forbid maybe cut a thing or two?  smurf no!  >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

sg Offline adobo

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:13 AM
I use my Damascus 2012, +B limited SAKs and RT Spirit. Though i don't abuse them as much as I do all my Climbers.
"The more it stays the same the less it changes"
-Spinal Tap

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:29:15 AM
Limited edition?  I don't understand!   :rofl:

the closest I have is a Hoffritz Special Edition 2.  they made 2000.  I have a troubleshooter, so I do not carry my SE2.

after this I have a McKinley.  I do not carry it, though I did when I first got it.

If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:05:58 AM
Absolutely!  No shelf queens!  :viking:  Everything gets carried at least once.  My MT.O Anniversary Wenger was taken out of its box and put right into my pocket the second it arrived.  They're tools.  They were built to be used.  Now, do I make a rare or limited knife my EDC.  No.  Does some fancy engraving proclaming it "1 of 50" protect it from getting carried a few times, and God forbid maybe cut a thing or two?  smurf no!  >:D
This...
I don't find value in tools being idle.

es Offline Metaleer

• Up the irons! \m/
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:59:19 AM
For me, my SAK hobby is both for collection purposes and for use, so I tend to use my regular SAKs (not so many at the moment, but that will change soon enough  >:D), and my special edition SAK, so far just a Spartan LE 2012, is at home relaxing.  :)
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:38 AM
If I could find any SeaPioneers, First Mates etc , I'd definitely use them! As it is, all those lovely coloured alox Saks with marlin spikes are like dogs that speak Danish -- exceedingly rare (to misquote Blackadder.)

There are no regular Alox models with a maritime theme... so if you want a marlin spike you have to go limited. I would take great pleasure in EDCing a 1/50 alox.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 11:31:00 AM
my special edition SAK, so far just a Spartan LE 2012, is at home relaxing.  :)

Haah! The first thing I did with my LE 2012 Spartan was cut several meters of carpet with it. It only cost 13 euros... it was made to get destroyed as far as I am concerned  >:D

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 02:29:13 PM
I also use my RT Spirit. Well, I did until I had to send it in. But I'll use it when it gets back though. I understand what you guys are saying, and I feel fortunate to have the SAKs that I do. But I guess I can't shake the desire to not get them all worn and dirty. I still get a lot of joy in fondling a perfect rare specimen.

The marlin spike ones are a bit harder for me to entertain using, since I could just get a Helmsman in the unlikely event that I go sailing. In fairness, I'd have to learn how to sail first...
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:13 PM
This...
I don't find value in tools being idle.
+1
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 02:33:00 PM
If I could find any SeaPioneers, First Mates etc , I'd definitely use them! As it is, all those lovely coloured alox Saks with marlin spikes are like dogs that speak Danish -- exceedingly rare (to misquote Blackadder.)

There are no regular Alox models with a maritime theme... so if you want a marlin spike you have to go limited. I would take great pleasure in EDCing a 1/50 alox.

I LOVE watching Blackadder.  Baldrick was a Trip
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 03:03:02 PM
I use them. None are safe but for one knife. And that one of my grandfather's old pocket knivies. Everything else gets used. If some gave me a goldplated and silver inlayed leatherman wave, I would use it cut barb wire and it would good doing it.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Ross

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:59 PM
I've one limited and thus far blue alox cadet and a red with silver cross farmer and not used either one. I am just not sure as the red farmer is sooooooo pretty lol.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 05:26:34 PM
Depends on the tool.  I haven't used my Damascus Wave and haven't used most of my colored Farmers (but then again, they're the same function as my EDC Blue Farmer). 

For me, I use my tools a little harshly and so special editions tend to get "soft" duty (ie going to a social event or out for the evening).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 05:37:31 PM
No
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 05:44:46 PM
Well I don't use any of mine - the balance being the exception. But I'm glad to hear all you lot are using yours :pok: !!  he he  :climber:  :D
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 06:15:26 PM
ARE YOU CRAZY?! AND RISK SCRATCHING/SPOILING THEM?! HELL NO!!!
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I don't even use some of my garden-variety run-o'the-mill ones...
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 07:39:20 PM
I don't have any limited editions, but I would likely use one if I did.  I normally have tried to carry each MT/SAK I own in some form or another.  However, there are some that have fallen by the wayside over time (not out of fear of damaging them though, just loss of interest in them or not exactly what I want to carry at work after newness wears off), or just get carried evenings after work at home.  I'm of the mindset that there are no shelf queens for me, but then again, I don't use mine excessively or even often enough (sometimes not once in a day) to worry about any real harm coming to them.
K-Tibbs

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 08:14:27 PM
I used my first limited color Pioneer until I noticed the anodizing was getting damaged by my keys. I then bought a standard grey one, from which I did not like the grey color. So I started looking for a sheath, and now I found a sheath, (I had a Fallkniven DC3 stone sheath that fits perfect.) I rotate all of my black Alox knives - including my Midshipman - regularly. I like to show them off from time to time.  :D

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:33 PM
Yes! You should use them and use them hard! Each used one increases the value of my shelf queens  :drink:  :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
I have queens and soldiers in my army.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:19 PM
Yes! You should use them and use them hard! Each used one increases the value of my shelf queens  :drink:  :D

Money isn't everything
@blackdiamonds_42

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 09:34:04 PM

Money isn't everything

... but with money you can buy everything  :pok:   ;)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 09:55:42 PM

The ones you don't use hard you should lose.  :D

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:26 PM

The ones you don't use hard you should lose.  :D

:rofl:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 10:04:49 PM

Money isn't everything

... but with money you can buy everything  :pok:   ;)

ok then, how much for your black alox limited editions?  :D
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 10:43:23 PM
I don't own any limited editions, but if I would, I'd use them (or at least, I'd buy them to use them). I don't have any use for limited editions, no nice place to display them, or anything, so they'd be hidden in a drawer somewhere. I usually just think there are people who'd be far happier with it. (though I would really like a marlinspike SAK...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline sticktodrum

Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
There are some knives and multis that I do enjoy just having them sit pretty in a drawer. While I don't have a display, and no one else really to show them off to, I find that I am showing them off to myself and enjoying the history of certain pieces.

My marlin spike SAKs are sitting right next to my Kershaw Tilt and ZT 0600, serial #0002. Those things never cut a thing, and likely never will. They'll only be available at my estate sale when I buy the farm.

I'm currently carrying my Wenger Soldat '07 though, and it looks pretty pocket worn at this point. I like that, but I wouldn't be using it so indiscriminately if I didn't have a whole pile of them in the drawer for me to wipe down with a microfiber. Same goes for my Vic Soldier, which I know isn't the rarest thing yet but I enjoy having a pristine specimen.

I guess I've always had this habit of acquiring multiples of something I'm even remotely interested in using. Often times if I really love a company, the limited stuff is a mark of product history for me and deserves to be preserved so I can always see what it looked like when it came out of the factory as opposed to being worn out, dented up, scratched and covered in lint.

So...I guess what I'm saying is I like to buy many multis and SAKs.   :mail:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:55:28 PM by sticktodrum »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%