Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use their limited edition SAKs?

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone use their limited edition SAKs?
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 04:47:07 AM
There really are two types of people in regargs to SAKs.  Collecters and Users.  I am a user.  When I ever find a knife for cheap at the flea market that might be collectable, I sell it.

I cant stand having a knife and not using it.  But I totally understand why people buy collectable knives and put them on a shelf.  They are collectors. :tool: 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 06:13:34 AM
I have too many MTs for ANY of them to get much hard duty. My day-to-day life also doesn't require a lot of tool use.

IF I had limited edition SAKs, they'd get less use than my regular ones, which already get almost none. I mean, unless you could listening to them 'snick' as i open and close various implements.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:44 PM
Yes! You should use them and use them hard! Each used one increases the value of my shelf queens  :drink:  :D

Money isn't everything

You're right. It's the little things that count: the little Rolls Royce, the little ranch in Arizona, the little yacht, the little Harley...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 03:15:51 PM
Yes! You should use them and use them hard! Each used one increases the value of my shelf queens  :drink: :D

Money isn't everything

You're right. It's the little things that count: the little Rolls Royce, the little ranch in Arizona, the little yacht, the little Harley...

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 04:52:04 PM
I´m a collector, and due to currency rates I don't pay cheap for my limited edition SAKs, I would never use them...I still can get my money back selling them if my life turns upside down...

You cant blame the users for using and collectors for not, are just different purposes, hobbies, etc.... the important is that we are all here showing our beauties to the whole world, brand new or all messed up due to heavy usage! Just love SAKs  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 05:20:11 PM
It is not a money thing really.
Realistically anybody that has more than a couple of mutlitools can be classed as a collector or better yet as an accumulator.

Do you carry and use all your multitools, most of the time?
99% of the time I just have a Victorinox manager. I also have generally good access to tools in most places and some knives so in theory/practice I do not need a multitool. Yes, I may have to walk an extra 2 metres to get the right tool but it will be a proper tool not a compromise as found on a multitool (and will sometimes be more expensive than a multitool).
I therefore do not really need multitools and all my multitools are just for the fun of buying, playing, collecting and saving me from a 2m walk. (Do you REALLY need to use the fork on a LM Flair?)

Some people may cut something with an expensive knife, whilst avoiding to use a 20 euro limited opinel. As said before a limited SAK and a standard one, same model, will cut/screw.pry the same so it is not like using the limited edition one will make your task easier (maybe more enjoyable, or less if you damage it)

I have 2 euro knives I do not want to use as I am just happy looking at them all nice and shiny.

I did post a thread a while back on whether there was any point to the avalanche of limited editions (think of the limited perrier thread too..)
Here it is: http://forum.multitool.org/general-tool-discussion/'special-editions'-(are-we-idiots-or-)/msg647278/#msg647278

Strangely I realised that I did later buy the Wenger I was discussing in my last post there  :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:44 PM
Yes! You should use them and use them hard! Each used one increases the value of my shelf queens  :drink: :D

Money isn't everything

(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry to be the buzz kill but here is a sad sight and they are on a jet ski. :pok: :pok: :pok:

Comes from a story on Hurricane Sandy

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:52 AM
Ah, wealth!
wealthdemotivator.jpg
* wealthdemotivator.jpg (Filesize: 76.97 KB)
lovedemotivator.jpg
* lovedemotivator.jpg (Filesize: 67.36 KB)

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:29 AM
Absolutely!  No shelf queens!  :viking:  Everything gets carried at least once.  My MT.O Anniversary Wenger was taken out of its box and put right into my pocket the second it arrived.  They're tools.  They were built to be used.  Now, do I make a rare or limited knife my EDC.  No.  Does some fancy engraving proclaming it "1 of 50" protect it from getting carried a few times, and God forbid maybe cut a thing or two?  smurf no!  >:D

+1 tools are to be used!!! of course collectors have more complex feelings about limited runs and I respect that. If a rare tool comes my way, i'll use to to it's full capacity and when the time comes for it to retire, that's when I'll put it in a shelf for nostalgia
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD