Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody notice a wide variation in plier stiffness?

Offline ultimaonliner

A while ago, I got a Juice S2 but returned it because the pliers were extremely stiff.  I was a little irked by this and so I didn't get a replacement immediately.

I then got some more Squirts and the Wave.  These were awesome with squirts being immediately frictionless and the Wave pliers losing their stiffness within the first 10 minutes of exercising (i.e. repeatedly opening and closing).

So I decided to get a Juice S2 again.  This time, the Juice S2 was awesome and the pliers opened with only moderate resistance which quickly disappeared again within 2 minutes of exercising.

I then got the Skeletool CX, which was awesome.  The pliers opened effortlessly and would snap open.  Although the pliers were frictionless, there was no lateral play.  The only problem was that there was this deep 1cm scratch/crease in the handle.  I thought I'd be okay with it, but the scratch bothered me, being that I paid for a new tool.

So I returned the CX, got another replacement sent to me.  This time, out of the clamshell, it looked great, but took an effort of God to open and close the pliers.

So, thinking that I could exercise or break this in, I repeatedly opened and close this for about 5 hours.  Yes, 5 hours.  My hands and arms are tired.  My wife thinks I'm nuts.  I think my baby thinks I'm nuts.

The result?  It's a heck of a lot better, but it still sticks towards the extremes of opening and closing.  It also requires significant effort to deploy the pliers from the closed position, presumably because the rivets are also very tight.  This is very different from the first CX I received.

Is this typical of Leatherman that there is a wide variation in what's considered acceptable plier stiffness?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:40:49 AM by ultimaonliner »
"

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Anybody notice a wide variation in plier stiffness?
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:31:30 PM
I've noticed the same thing, but not as extreme as your case.

My 2004 Wave has been the stiffest of the dozen or so new tools I've owned. It took a few hours of break in but got noticeably better after a good soak in degreaser and subsequent scrubbing with soap and hot water. Most of the other Leatherman tools I have owned have been easy on the pivot. If I opened the pliers and held one handle the other handle would drop just by gravity but they weren't "loose".

What are you using for lubrication?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:33:14 PM
To be honest, I don't mind scratches at all. I think they are only cosmetic!
B

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:41 PM
Stiff pliers and LM go together like pepperoni and pizza.

You just have to play with the pliers to loosen them up ;) :multi:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:49:03 PM
Don't just open/close 'em to try and work out the tightness.  I'd put 'em to work on some nuts/bolts and some wire clipping.  I would think a little moderate usage especially with some torque/twisting of the plier heads will loosen them up.   ;)

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:21:27 PM
To be honest, I don't mind scratches at all. I think they are only cosmetic!

Yea, I know... But this was a weird one, it was more of a crease in the sheet metal used to make the handles.  The Tungsten coating was intact, but it was this sharp bend in the handle.

BTW, that's a great idea, I shouldn't just exercise the movement.  A little torque will probably go a long way.

(To whoever asked, I use mineral oil, since that's what I usually use on my SAKs.)

I think since I come from owning a bunch of Victorinox SAKs and Spirit, I got used to the frictionless movements.  I was just curious on everybody else's experiences with LM.

Anyway, the Skeletool CX has loosened up enough for me to really enjoy EDC'ing it.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I'll even EDC anything else anymore.  I might actually STOP buying multitools for a while!
"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:36:26 PM
My wave is very loose, but skeletool is very tough. It has loosen a bit now but still not as easy to use as wave.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:18:14 PM
I have seen variation but with work and wd 40 have never had a problem.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:35:00 PM
I have seen variation but with work and wd 40 have never had a problem.
Scrappy is right. WD40 is your friend!! :D
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:58:56 PM
IMO, WD sucks! It only lubricates for a short time and it attracts all kinds of crap into the pivots etc. I have found a product that works well for me- Tuf Glide. I like it because it is a dry film that does not attract dirt or anything into all the nooks and crannies! Another thing that I really like about it is that it's waterproof. And, it even cleans, displaces water, rust protection, and of course it lubricates. I also use a Marine Tuf Cloth on all of my expensive fishing equipment. It really is a phenomenal product! Here's a link- http://www.sentrysolutions.com/AllProductskew.shtml
B

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:34 PM
BTW, if you guys watch the video I am pretty sure you guys will be hooked- http://www.myoutdoortv.com:8080/showroom/product.do?productId=1208880738685
B

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:48 PM
I've had very different experiences too. I'd come to expect this from "regular" tools, even higher end ones like Klien, before I ever got into MT's, so it never bothered me at all.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:33 PM
my Leatherman MT's are the stiffest ones I have. my Kick never loosened up much
and I tried several lubes, and "working it" for hours but it only got a little better.
I can't flick them open like I can the other brands.

"sometimes" stiffness is not a bad thing, once in awhile I prefer them to be that way,
it's why I never sent them back. when I'm working on certain things, I'd rather
have "a little" stiffness for better control.

but usually I like the smoother play and to be able to open them easily but I have others for that.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 11:21:50 PM
Yep my Charge's are both like that, stiff as anything and can only be partially butterfly'd :(

My ole Sideclip that I gave my bro is pretty lose though :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:12 PM
IMO, WD sucks! It only lubricates for a short time and it attracts all kinds of crap into the pivots etc.

Maybe your just not using enough  :D I usually have no problem with whatever I put WD40 to.  I use it on quite a bit of things :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 11:47:14 PM
Yeah, but it can wash away.. And, it causes all crap to build up wherever you sprayed it!
B

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:34 AM
Yeah, but it can wash away.. And, it causes all crap to build up wherever you sprayed it!
That's when you use a toothbrush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not the one YOU use, of course.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 12:32:40 AM
A good new LM reminds my of when I was young,but the more you use it,and a little lubrication go's a long way!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%