Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How good are you with the can opener? 4758

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,591 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: How good are you with the can opener?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Vic or Wenger can openers is better (when used as a can opener)?

I think people do have opinions about it, yes :P And mainly, I believe, it's just a matter of what preference. Both have their supporters. It also depends  a bit on what you're used to using, as they do work in quite entirely different ways.

Yes, depends on the preference of the user. Both work good but it depends on what you're used to. I get better times with the Wenger as it's what I've been using for years but others might find the Vic style better. With the Wenger you cut clockwise and with the Vic counterclockwise.

Try both and let us know which you prefer. :cheers:
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,459 Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
I'm pretty good with either, they get used a lot both in the kitchen and at work.  As a lefty though, I've found the Wenger to be a bit easier to use.  :tu:

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D
Hero Member Posts: 892 "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
I am comfortable with either opener, but I do prefer the Vic Opener for the added versatility of the Screw Driver. My Wifey howver likes the Wenger Opener better. She says she has an easier time with it.

"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"
No Life Club Posts: 1,439
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
Opened up 8 cans last night for my chili, 4 opened with my Climber and the other 4 with a conventional opener, pretty close race once you figure out the angle you need to hold the Climber at. That makes all the difference.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
I had a little better times with the Wenger/Leatherman style opener than the Vic, but the difference was only maybe 6 seconds per can.

If it matters, I'm also left-handed.

I've opened a LOT of cans with MT can openers in the past year or two, and while I prefer the Wenger style opener for opening cans, I prefer the Vic style overall. In 'reality', I don't need an MT to open cans. I have a good, dedicated can opener in my drawer, and it's easily 3 times as fast, almost four times, as any MT can opener, AND it's much less effort. I only use the MT can openers for testing purposes.

As for how good I am... well, I opened cans in around 22 to 28 seconds, compared to my friend who was taking over a minute with either kind, so... 'pretty good' I guess? Not a world record holder, that's for sure.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,555

Zed gb

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I impressed the girls at work this morning with the tin opener on my Swisschamp, the kitchen tin opener disappeared so swisschamp to the rescue  :salute:
No Life Club Posts: 2,791
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »

I'm much faster with more of a Leatherman or Wenger can opener. I'm trying to practice with the vic can opener right now.
Since I have said this my skills with the vic opener have improved dramatically. It is now my favorite because of the included screwdriver. When I carry a Wenger I feel like I'm missing a vital component by having only one opener driver.
No Life Club Posts: 1,439
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
I have never tried a Wenger can opener, it will give me something to do tonight
No Life Club Posts: 3,572
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »
It's the only one I have , or use , so I would say ; pretty good .

Chris
Newbie Posts: 13
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I suspect the can opener is used quite a bit around here due to all the cans of cat food everyone's forced to eat because all the money is spent on SAKs. :)
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,618 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
I impressed the girls at work this morning with the tin opener on my Swisschamp, the kitchen tin opener disappeared so swisschamp to the rescue  :salute:

Huh-huh... I see...

>:D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $138.70
PayPal Fees: $8.07
Net Balance: $130.63
Below Goal: $169.37
Site Currency: USD