Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Caused a Stir at the Steakhouse

Offline Travis Autry

Caused a Stir at the Steakhouse
on: December 07, 2013, 03:05:11 AM
We went to Outback last Tuesday for my son's 10th birthday.  On the rare occasion that I go out for steak, I carry my Vic Adventurer as my steak knife.  Outback has great steaks, but their knives are complete failures.

I didn't notice, but my wife told me that three fellows sitting in the corner spent an inordinate amount of time discussing my choice of cutlery.  I may not have had the best eating experience in the room, but I'm certain I had the best cutting experience.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Caused a Stir at the Steakhouse
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:00:19 AM
Great choice. It's usually an OHT for me as the serrated tip is perfect for cutting into a steak!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:40 AM
Maybe their steaks are so tender you do not need a knife

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:09 AM
I used an ALOX Solo a couple of times as a steak knife but it's smaller, has silver scales so no one noticed it, not even the waiter. And the SRM 718 got used as a steak knife quite a few times also.

I really have to wonder why so many restaurants have such crappy knives. I realise their knives get used a lot. But knives are supposed to be used for cutting, not for tearing. :doh: Can't they just get those sharpened when they're sharpening the chefs knives or something. :-\

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:31:56 PM
Most restaurants (and houses etc) and here use these, mainly Italian, cheap thin bladed (less than a mm) knives that usually come with plain white handles, serrated or plain.

They are a few euros for 12, cut really well and because of their thin blade they will cut even if they are blunt.

I am very happy when I see these knives.  They are also used by 99% of the people as utility knives too (farmers etc.) They are like the local Mora.
Fancier restaurants try to give better looking cutlery, but it just does not cut as well and as consistently as
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
most places I've been too have pretty thin, wibbly wobbly serrated knifes. They're OK but you do have saw through things even if the steak is tender. I often end up with the steak equivalent of sawdust.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:37:19 PM
Yeah, I know those and have a few sets as well. :tu:

But mostly you end up with something similar to this though.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:01 PM
My wife would kill me, pulling out a Vic at a restaurant, so kudos to you Sir.. :hatsoff:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:54:31 PM
I cant remember that I have had a problem with a dull steak knife at a restaurant, but it might become an issue now that Ill be thinking about it the next time Im out.  :facepalm:

A Opinel would make a nice folding steak knife would it not? I dont think anyone would notice you using that.  :think:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:59:04 PM
Yeah, I know those and have a few sets as well. :tu:

But mostly you end up with something similar to this though.

(Image removed from quote.)

Which is an excellent tool if your intention is to butter the steak...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:54 PM
If you tried using an OHT in a UK diner you'd end up sharing desert with a police firearms team :(
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 06:15:58 PM
slightly off topic, but my wife got mad at me for using, and I quote "Why are you using that dirty knife to open the cans?"

(I always use the SAK to open cans)  so I took out her "clean" electric can opener and showed her how Clean it was!    :rofl:

I think she is ok with the SAK can opener now
If I can help, let me know 

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:10 PM
My wife would kill me, pulling out a Vic at a restaurant, so kudos to you Sir.. :hatsoff:

We've been married 23 years, so she's used to it.

I can't abide the "steak sawdust".  It's so much more pleasant to slice off thin strips of beef that are just perfect for chewing!

On the can opener- I agree.  My SAK can opener is probably much cleaner or can be made so than any electric or hand turn opener.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 12:02:07 AM
i used a 29cm balisong once at a pizza place. people just ignored me ...i guess it was because the pizza was really good.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:20 AM
i used a 29cm balisong once at a pizza place. people just ignored me ...i guess it was because the pizza was really good.

Oh man, I think it's illegal here in NJ to even read a sentence containing the phrase, "29cm balisong", forget using it in a pizza place!  :ahhh  That being said, the calzone at a local place gives Case CV steel a lovely patina, as one of my Trappers found out....  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:56 AM
A Opinel would make a nice folding steak knife would it not? I dont think anyone would notice you using that.  :think:

I've done that!
But not in a restaurant.  It was at my mother's place during Xmas, too many people and we ran out of steak knives, I pulled my Opinel #6 out of my pocket and opened it up - razor sharp and so easy to slice steak with it.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 03:22:01 AM

I've done that!
But not in a restaurant.  It was at my mother's place during Xmas, too many people and we ran out of steak knives, I pulled my Opinel #6 out of my pocket and opened it up - razor sharp and so easy to slice steak with it.

At Easter, my grandmother was looking for a sharper knife at the table than what was at her plate to cut some meat, and I offered her my Sage 1.  My mother's response was, "Don't trust your grandmother with a knife like that, she's half Sicilian!"   ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:58 AM
Great choice. It's usually an OHT for me as the serrated tip is perfect for cutting into a steak!

Def

This would be my choice too (well, my OHMasterRT) as that blade would slice through steak with ease.  Mmm....now I want a good steak :drool:
K-Tibbs

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 07:06:30 AM
This thread is giving me ideas...
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
I just had a nice pork chop at a local joint. The supplied knife was junk, so I whipped out ye olde farmer and went to work. So much more pleasant.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 01:22:44 AM

Def

Reminds me of my old"Pub Saga" from our old SOSAK days :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 02:09:52 AM

Def

This would be my choice too (well, my OHMasterRT) as that blade would slice through steak with ease.  Mmm....now I want a good steak :drool:
Mmmmm, steak.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 03:44:08 AM
On many occasions I've used either a SAK or Spyderco Endura to cut steaks when the provided knife was not up to the task. tom.  8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 04:03:17 AM
Used to use a Charge TTI to cut steaks at a local Sizzler. Since getting the Victotinox Climber have been using that for both steak and dicing up kiwi fruit for a desert dish.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 06:37:42 PM
This is making me feel nostalgic.
Does any of the "old guard" have the link to the PUB SAGA? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 07:39:28 PM
I use my own knives regularly in restaurants. You can slice up a pizza easy with a Cadet instead of pushing them of the plate with the usually restaurant knives. When I go to more fancy places, I actually take a nicer knife on purpose. Had various comments from waiters on it  :D
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 02:16:22 PM
This is making me feel nostalgic.
Does any of the "old guard" have the link to the PUB SAGA? :think:
Its been a long time since I logged into Sosak on KF.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Offline Max Archer

Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 05:50:25 PM
I use my pocket knives for too many things that would make me afraid to eat with them.

For some reason, we never had steak knives growing up and used pairing knives instead. It definitely wasn't a cost thing, as my dad is a serious hobbyist chef and our pairing knives probably each cost as much as a set of decent steak knives. Sometime recently my parents got a set of Laguiole steak knives, which are really funny because they look just like their folders except the blades are fixed full tang and finely serrated, but they even have a little non functional metal piece that looks just like the lock release on the folding versions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 06:08:35 PM
I use my pocket knives for too many things that would make me afraid to eat with them.

For some reason, we never had steak knives growing up and used pairing knives instead. It definitely wasn't a cost thing, as my dad is a serious hobbyist chef and our pairing knives probably each cost as much as a set of decent steak knives. Sometime recently my parents got a set of Laguiole steak knives, which are really funny because they look just like their folders except the blades are fixed full tang and finely serrated, but they even have a little non functional metal piece that looks just like the lock release on the folding versions.

Classic Laguioles are non locking slipjoint?
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 06:25:44 PM

Classic Laguioles are non locking slipjoint?

There's a fixed blade version of them. Like this:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD