Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Making a SAK "Paracord-er"

Offline LogicBob

on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:17 AM
So, I want to make a SAK that will be a good companion tool for when I'm working on paracord projects on the go. Currently, I carry a little Maxpedition pocket organizer with a few tools in it (some/most of which are pictured below) but I had the thought that I may be able to get as much utility (possibly even more) from a Swiss Army Knife, provided I can compile it with specific tools. What I'm asking you all is what is the best model for me to start with? And where do I get the individual tools? Are most just traded (bought/sold) amongst members here?

Here are the tools I would like to incorporate:
-Scissors - the bigger, the better.
-Knife blade - half length is fine if need be
-Marlin spike
-Awl
-Hook
-Something flat and blunt - flat screwdriver blade, file, etc

Any other suggestions on useful tools would be appreciated. Does the marlin spike limit the form factor or can it be fitted to the more traditional configurations? Though my tools are limited, I'm pretty handy in terms of metal fabrication.

http://i.imgur.com/LcK3PdL.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:26:31 AM
You could go with a helmsman.

I go with a wood awl and a compact.

Swiss Army knives .
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:35:33 AM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

de Offline HankSolon

Re: Making a SAK "Paracord-er"
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:12 AM
I could imagine a knife mod, based on a 111mm Vic Frame:

option 1:

1st layer: shackle opener with marlin spike
2nd layer: 111mm scissors with grinded phillips screw driver to make it flat screwdriver
3rd layer: Lockable OHO blade (front) hook (back)
4th layer: opener layer with reamer on the back side

option 2:

1st layer: Lockable OHO blade (front) hook (back)
2nd layer: shackle opener with marlin spike
3rd layer: 111mm scissors with grinded phillips screw driver to make it flat screwdriver

option 3:

1st layer: Lockable OHO blade (front) phillips (back)
2nd layer: shackle opener with marlin spike, hook back <--- needs to be testified if it really works
3rd layer: 111mm scissors with grinded phillips screw driver to make it flat screwdriver

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:58:34 AM
I'm a paracorder...well I use to be. One hobby at a time I guess.
Use to have a little paracord go pouch (will dig it up to take a pic) and all it was was an earbuds case with threading needle, Zippo, hemostats, and Classic.
Didn't need anything else, and the hemostats and needle were used for generally the same purpose and I'd take the hemostats over the needle.

So Classic, hemostats, and lighter is all you really need...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:18:53 AM by Fattsgalore »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:59:51 AM
I've done a little paracord work, nothing too fancy, but I'm just looking at my 111mm Hercules and I think that would make a good paracording SAK.
The fine philips screwdriver could be reshaped into a decent marlinespike and the pliers would be plenty handy. Decent scissors and the corkscrew would also be useful.

Just my 2c.

Offline LogicBob

Re: Making a SAK &quot;Paracord-er&quot;
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:24:43 PM
I'm a paracorder...well I use to be. One hobby at a time I guess.
Use to have a little paracord go pouch (will dig it up to take a pic) and all it was was an earbuds case with threading needle, Zippo, hemostats, and Classic.
Didn't need anything else, and the hemostats and needle were used for generally the same purpose and I'd take the hemostats over the needle.

So Classic, hemostats, and lighter is all you really need...

I know what you mean but when you're used to using certain tools and techniques, its hard to give up those things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
when you're use to using certain tools and techniques, its hard to give up those things.

By switching over to a SAK you'll be doing just that.

I don't believe it'll be drastic in the transitional department... SAKs are like they've always been there TBH.

Offline LogicBob

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:06:38 PM
when you're use to using certain tools and techniques, its hard to give up those things.

By switching over to a SAK you'll be doing just that.

I don't believe it'll be drastic in the transitional department... SAKs are like they've always been there TBH.

Not sure what TBH is and, not trying to be argumentative; I do appreciate your reply, but clearly there are levels of change. If I swapped the hemostats out for needle nose pliers, that obviously wouldn't be the same difference as using a bent paperclip in their place.

The important thing, to me, is being able to continue some of the techniques I'm accustomed to. You may notice in the picture in the first post, I use a sort of o-ring/dental pick thing with a bend at the end. I use this like a marlin spike, but also to get under a loop that's too small for my finger and pull to tighten a knot. I'm hoping that, since the marlin spike on the SAK is straight, I'll be able to use it to create some space and then switch to the hook on the back of the SAK in order to pull those loops tight. Yes, its different- two tools in place of one, but I can accomplish the same thing.

And besides... Where's the fun in just buying a classic?? ;D Haha!

Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:31:30 PM by LogicBob »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:35:27 PM
What about starting with a Super Tinker (or Deluxe Tinker, if you decide you want pliers too) and just grinding down the tip of the back spring Phillips driver to convert that tool into a spike?

TBH = To Be Honest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:44:53 AM
Sometimes the right tool isn't a multitool. Making a blunt awl out of a medium sized nail and a simple scabbard would work, maybe if you used smaller cordage and did a weave or turksheads around the body, then a monkey fist about the head of the nail? Partnered with a Compact.

And maybe make a sharper one just like it. "This is my shank. There are many like it, but this one is mine."   :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:18:06 AM
Outrider, it has pretty much all you need.  The hook on the phillips/spike may or may not be good enough though:

I just ordered one and am looking forward to picking it up!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 03:44:01 PM

The important thing, to me, is being able to continue some of the techniques I'm accustomed to. You may notice in the picture in the first post, I use a sort of o-ring/dental pick thing with a bend at the end. I use this like a marlin spike, but also to get under a loop that's too small for my finger and pull to tighten a knot. I'm hoping that, since the marlin spike on the SAK is straight, I'll be able to use it to create some space and then switch to the hook on the back of the SAK in order to pull those loops tight. Yes, its different- two tools in place of one, but I can accomplish the same thing.

Try the corkscrew.  I think you might find it is able to perform this function fairly well.  If you go with Colt's suggestion of the Compact you will have a corkscrew.  Another good option might be a Climber.   :)

Offline TSabatine

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:44 PM
I've found that the hook remover/fish scaler is useful for pushing cordage through tight loops and such. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD