Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox to end alox special runs

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox to end alox special runs
Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 05:40:42 AM
well he doesn't do limited editions of 50, he does limited editions of more like 300 as he spreads the color across different models. but then again, Vics definition of limited seems to be growing, their limited models seem to be increasing in numbers every year. so 50 is infact quite small. there is alot of administrative costs that need to be factored which is probably more than the fabrication cost.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 08:13:44 PM
I prefer to view it the glass half full kind of way.

If they make new models and bring back the old ones I view it as them deciding to take that profit for themselves instead of leaving it to the dealers to collect all the profit. Them doing all the work and others collecting the money and praise never made sense to me.

Interesting thought. If they were to start making alox runs in larger numbers it would certainly give them the collector market to go after, but the pricing would be a key factor. And they would have to invest in making large numbers to get the cost down. Time will tell.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:19 AM
 :(  :(   :(

I want to thank everyone involved in the conception, design, making, and distribution of these super fine Swiss Army Knives.  I believe Victorinox owes a lot to these people who have helped grow the marketplace for all Victorinox knives and other products by increasing the awareness of the brand, its history and its values.  I want to especially thank those fine people that are members and our friends on this fine forum and other SAK hangouts.

:salute:   :salute:   :salute:

:climber:

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 12:12:22 PM
Really sad news, I didn't even manage to get each of the limited run Cadets so far. Hopefully they end up doing them in larger runs.
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 12:13:33 PM
:(  :(   :(

I want to thank everyone involved in the conception, design, making, and distribution of these super fine Swiss Army Knives.  I believe Victorinox owes a lot to these people who have helped grow the marketplace for all Victorinox knives and other products by increasing the awareness of the brand, its history and its values.  I want to especially thank those fine people that are members and our friends on this fine forum and other SAK hangouts.

:salute:   :salute:   :salute:

:climber:

+1    :salute:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 06:58:35 AM
Vic listen up: Crank up that machine and produce enough for everyone and quit jerking people around with only 50 copies of a given colour.

+1

I hate the micro runs just for collectors. Dangit, I want to be able to buy a Farmer without having to fight the nitwits who think everything is a super special run and blow the prices into the stratosphere on eBay. My advice for Vic is stop screwing around, pump out the models the users want and keep the prices right. Silver, red, blue and maybe black Alox. Red and black for the cellidors. Then just take my money.

Or in terms that the bean counters understand. Profit on a special run knife is say, $40. $40 x 50 knives is $2000. Profit on a normal run knife is $15; $15 x 2000 knives is $30000. THe math is easy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:01:24 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Gioia99

Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:35 PM
Dear collectors

I want to thank all the collectors in this forum, for the faithful and exciting conversations. I appreciate the very positive or netaiv  :mail:. THANKS  :tu:

Jan

Offline derv

Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
I got an email yesterday with the news.  If that juat means those numbered ones of 50 each im ok with that I never liked the numbered runs.  If they killed off all alox though id be sad!

It seems like the standard ALOX line is really popular, though I haven't been following SAK stuff until very recently. I wonder if ALOX sales warrant ending production completely?

On an unrelated note, I've been drooling over the OD green ALOX with red ano liners that you've done. I'll be ordering the same one when I get back to the states!

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 06:05:13 PM
There is a list of Alox Special Run from 2009 till 2013, without +B editions.

http://swissknives.info/alox-special-run-overview/

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 06:11:22 PM

Wow, :o  85 in total. Didn't think there were that many. Thank you very much for this list. :salute:

It's been commented that the wiki lacks quite a few of them and this will help fill the gaps in the variations of a model. :cheers:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:20 PM

:drool:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 06:43:56 PM

Super!  Thanks for this!   :salute:

I added a link to the Alphabetical 93mm listing on SAKwiki.

I hope SwissBianco will put a list together for their orders.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
Wow... Love the full chronology of the SAKs. Beautiful!  :drool:
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 07:22:13 PM
I too would like to see alox scales on more knives and with more colours. In fact I would like to see Victorinox replace most of the 91s with 93mm models and make that their "standard" size. While they`re at it they should replace the 84s with Cadets entirely. As I see it there is too much overlap of 91s and they should reduce the amount of different models, do we need an Angler and a Fisherman for example?
 I would streamline the catalogue and only offer 58s (or replace entirely with the Wenger 65s), 84s, 93s and the bigger 111mm models. But I`m not Carl Elsener so it`s not going to happen.

Think about it, a Cybertool, Explorer or Swisschamp with red or black alox scales, much like what customisers such as Syph007 have been doing. Are you watching, Mr Elsener?
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 12:09:58 AM
This Thread has inspired me to post up a picture of all my Farmer variations.The top row are all Farmers with no Swissbianco variants.

The 2 84 mm "mini-Farmers are horizontal in the second row.

The third row has the Swissbianco versions, an old Swiss cross in red, my EDC Blue Farmer and an old style "Proto-Farmer"

NOW:  If anyone wants to sell or trade me a VSAKS Copper Farmer (from 2005), I would be VERY interested!   :whistle:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:17 AM

Martin,

That's a great looking site, and a superb collection!   :salute:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 12:23:12 AM
This Thread has inspired me to post up a picture of all my Farmer variations.The top row are all Farmers with no Swissbianco variants.

The 2 84 mm "mini-Farmers are horizontal in the second row.

The third row has the Swissbianco versions, an old Swiss cross in red, my EDC Blue Farmer and an old style "Proto-Farmer"

NOW:  If anyone wants to sell or trade me a VSAKS Copper Farmer (from 2005), I would be VERY interested!   :whistle:

Great looking set.  :tu:

Here's most of my Farmers.

IMG_2559.JPG
* IMG_2559.JPG (Filesize: 134.16 KB)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 12:26:47 AM
Yeah, I'm missing the Ted Nugent Farmer.  Coloswiss, how many of those are +B versions?  I seem to recall the old cross monochromatics were coming from him a couple years ago.

Nice set!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:29 AM
Yeah, I'm missing the Ted Nugent Farmer.  Coloswiss, how many of those are +B versions?  I seem to recall the old cross monochromatics were coming from him a couple years ago.

Nice set!

The mono-color orange, brown and olive green are SwissBiancos. Also have a couple of Custom Splash multicolored Farmers from him. The black knife next to the red is a custom Scibeer with hard anodized handles. The dark colored knife on the upper right is a very dark olive green.

IMG_1919.JPG
* IMG_1919.JPG (Filesize: 125.3 KB)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:21 AM
And if you see FAcebook pages like INDONESIAN SWISS POCKET TOOLS LOVERS https://www.facebook.com/groups/473641982691610/ Lockblades seem to be making lots of sales.  Especially for those made under contract for a growing number of national militaries, and pimped upcustom models :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 01:20:51 AM

Nice set!

The mono-color orange, brown and olive green are SwissBiancos. Also have a couple of Custom Splash multicolored Farmers from him. The black knife next to the red is a custom Scibeer with hard anodized handles. The dark colored knife on the upper right is a very dark olive green.

I have one splash Farmer and a couple splash Lumberjacks.  I sort of stopped at that point because there were so many variations. :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:22:37 AM by Mr. Whippy »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 02:45:26 PM
And if you see FAcebook pages like INDONESIAN SWISS POCKET TOOLS LOVERS https://www.facebook.com/groups/473641982691610/ Lockblades seem to be making lots of sales.  Especially for those made under contract for a growing number of national militaries, and pimped upcustom models :think:

That page is run by one of our members. And I recognize some other names too.

Offline Espen

Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 03:06:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:05 AM

Very nice as always.

us Offline burnside

Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 05:44:00 AM
If they really do stop all of their Alox production, then all Swiss Alox knives will eventually become collectible. The limited and more rare Alox will probably sky rocket in value. It sucks if you wanted to try and build a collection of Alox rarities at this point. I'm glad that I've been able to pick up what I have, but it's a bummer that I will probably never get a real chance to build an Alox collection like some of the ones I've seen here and elsewhere.  :ahhh

My advice regarding Alox at this point is to hang onto the Alox that you've got unless you found some other Alox worth trading it for.

It would be nice if we could get a definitive 'Yes' or 'No' straight from Victorinox about whether or not they are going to discontinue the Alox line. If it become official that production was coming to end, I bet traffic on ebay will get crazy for a little bit, and then die down once everything has been hoarded.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:45:47 AM by burnside »

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

Excellent, thank you very much!
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

do Offline Blade runner

Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:06 PM
+B on their Facebook page says that more limitted color alox in February, and a 84mm Sak with scissor. :climber:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
+B on their Facebook page says that more limitted color alox in February, and a 84mm Sak with scissor. :climber:

The end of his note sounds like he's unsure he will be able to get any more after the February delivery.

most of the collaborations will be put down and all force is concentrated to the +B brand and its products that will be avaliable for more dealers to are more common to see in regular stores, a step that was long needed.

Time will tell... :-\

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
The end of his note sounds like he's unsure he will be able to get any more after the February delivery.

Not a problem. I know of several suppliers in China who can provide the parts he needs at competitive prices. They can even do the little cross and shield thing, as long as it doesn't have to be 100% symmetrical. Or straight.

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 03:55:03 PM

Not a problem. I know of several suppliers in China who can provide the parts he needs at competitive prices. They can even do the little cross and shield thing, as long as it doesn't have to be 100% symmetrical. Or straight.

That's if he starts building his own SAKS.  His builds are Vic made. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%