Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cable cutter 600

Offline SoDak

Cable cutter 600
on: May 23, 2008, 05:11:46 AM
In the search to find a suitable replacement for my dad's broken 600, I stumbled on the gerber 600 with a cable cutter head(I wouldn't get my dad one, but I might like it ;)). I've always been interested in having a multitool that had a real good cutting head for dealing for things like barbed wire, but the idea of a stainless steel cutting head doesn't strike me as a good idea. Does anyone have one and actually use it?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Cable cutter 600
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:29:26 AM
I've got one, but I don't use it. As you noted, the stainless steel cutting surface is limited to soft material only. (plastics, wood, copper, aluminum) The jaws are bypass style, with a sharp angle. Try cutting barbed wire and I'm thinking it would leave a notch.

MTorg member Damota has one too. Maybe he will stop by and tell us about it. 

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:37:11 PM
I have one but have always been afraid to use it. it looks like it would fail at what I like to cut.

Offline SoDak

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 06:48:49 PM
Yeha it probably wouldn't work very well on barbed wire. It would be nice to have a tool that was good at it since my core can cut the wire with the hard wire notch, but it doesn't work to well since the two strand on barbed wire are wrapped together. The only other thing that might work would be the sog powercut, which would be better in my view since it uses a sidecutter head and has compound leverage.

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:55:40 PM
I am of the same opinion as the others, for cutting domestic electrical multi strand cable even single core copper mains it is ok but even a single strand of steel wire as used in barbed wire I would be looking elsewhere for a suitable tool. Ideally with anvil cutters and compound leverage as in the pic. I would not use any multi tool (except those cheap fencing tools) for cutting barbed wire even the SOG geared head - too much to lose if things go wrong.

Dave

* phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg (Filesize: 3.74 KB)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:31:03 PM by J-sews »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 03:15:07 PM
I always thought that if I absolutely had to cut some barbed wire or fencing, the metal file found on a lot of multis would do the trick...file a nice notch then either finish it off with the wire cutters or keep bending it until it snapped.

That Gerber pictured above seems kind of delicate...sharp but delicate.  Most dedicated wire cutters I use are the anvil type and are nicked, pitted, and otherwise not sharp at all, but still snap the hard stuff!
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:26:40 PM
I always thought that if I absolutely had to cut some barbed wire or fencing, the metal file found on a lot of multis would do the trick...file a nice notch then either finish it off with the wire cutters or keep bending it until it snapped.

That Gerber pictured above seems kind of delicate...sharp but delicate.  Most dedicated wire cutters I use are the anvil type and are nicked, pitted, and otherwise not sharp at all, but still snap the hard stuff!

I agree, anvil type cutters certainly do seem better suited to the hard stuff.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SoDak

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:20:46 PM

I have never tired using the file to cut the wire. If I can get the strands separated enough to get one strand with the hard wire cutter on my core I can make short work of the wire and the hard cutter notch doesn't seem to be affected. I to start carrying my visegrip again, that has a great wire cutter. Just on an interesting side note, I have to say that the core really has no business working on a fence. It gets the job done, but between a hard to use wire cutter and how the plier tips flex side to side when I want to bend something(I'm surprised nothing has been broken), it just doesn't work well.

Offline nezza33

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:46:13 PM
I've got one i keep it in the boot of the car.
J

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD