Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Boker Plus Squail

Offline Travis Autry

Boker Plus Squail
on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:12 AM
I just read the review of the Boker Plus Squail in the newest Tactical Knives.  It's a good looking knife and the review was very positive.  I'm not currently in the market, but were I looking far a large-ish one hand opening folder, I'd have to check it out.

Is anyone familiar?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: Boker Plus Squail
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:12:00 AM
I've seen it, it looks quite good with the Ti bolsters and the micarta handle.  Bigger than I'd consider carrying, though, as I have quite small hands.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:21:11 AM
Yeah, I looked back at the review and the Squail does look a bit like a pocket sword.  It is probably bigger than I'd choose for EDC, but I bet it would make a nifty woods folder.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:32 AM
The joy of "tactical" folders I guess.  If it was 2/3rds the size I'd be interested because it looks like it could pass for a gentleman's knife.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 04:50:03 AM
I like larger folders (I have a Spyderco Police in my pocket as I type this), though not exclusively.  I haven't handled a Squail, and while I might pick one up if I could get it for about $35, it will be a cold day in hell before I pay $100 for a Chinese or Taiwanese made knife.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 08:45:12 AM
I like larger folders (I have a Spyderco Police in my pocket as I type this), though not exclusively.  I haven't handled a Squail, and while I might pick one up if I could get it for about $35, it will be a cold day in hell before I pay $100 for a Chinese or Taiwanese made knife.

Spyderco's top-end knives are made in Taiwan.  Just sayin'

Offline Philthy

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:05:15 PM
Spyderco's top-end knives are made in Taiwan.  Just sayin'

Most of my Spyderco's are Seki Japan.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 07:45:28 PM

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?origin=Taiwan

I understand if people don't want to buy foreign made knives and wish to purchase American, but claiming that Chinese or Taiwanese makers can't produce a high quality knife is akin to saying Japanese makers can't make good knives because they put out some truly awful garbage in the 60s and 70s.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 07:58:38 PM

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?origin=Taiwan

I understand if people don't want to buy foreign made knives and wish to purchase American, but claiming that Chinese or Taiwanese makers can't produce a high quality knife is akin to saying Japanese makers can't make good knives because they put out some truly awful garbage in the 60s and 70s.

+1 My Gayle Bradley is an absolutely beautiful knife, made in Taiwan.  It's one of the most solid-feeling, well built folders I've ever had the pleasure to carry.  It's going to be on me tonight actually......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:26:45 AM
All of my Spyderco knives were made in Japan, though I understand Spyderco produces some knives elsewhere.

It's not that I'm hung up on buying American-made products.  I own a Honda and a Hyundai, and I have a mix of American, European, Japanese, and yes, some Chinese/Taiwanese-made knives.  The fact is that I've seen and heard about enough issues with Chinese/Taiwanese made stuff (and not just knives) that I always consider it a gamble, and not one worth taking once the price begins to approach apparently comparable products made by reputable firms in some of the other aforementioned places.

Frankly, I've had extended dialogues about this subject in other threads, no one has managed to change anyone else's mind about it, and I'm not particularly interested in rehashing it at length.  I stand by what I've said regarding this knife, i.e. I might snag one if they were going for about $35, but at $100 I have no interest.  If you feel differently, as an old acquaintance of mine was fond of saying, "You pays your money, and you takes your choice."   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%