Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Classic/Rambler in pocket- Pioneer or Rancher best combo?

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
I have a NIB Rancher that needs some loving attention.  Currently I have an SI filling the 2 layer 93mm in my EDC rotation.  After using mostly Vics in the other slots, I have come to be more and more averse to Wenger knives.  That leaves me with using one of my white cross Pioneers or a Rancher if I was to drop the SI. 

This got me thinking, would a Rancher be a better EDC than a Pioneer given that I also carry an alox classic/rambler at all times?  This would provide me the sheepsfoot blade as an added tool which can function as scissors to some capacity and only cost me the can opener.  The SD on the classic makes for a fine low torque SD and I have no need of the can opener.   In addition, the Rancher does not have the painful keyring (I am not lanyard user in general), but the soft jingle is somewhat comforting actually.

What do you guys think-Rancher or Pioneer?
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Classic/Rambler in pocket- Pioneer or Rancher best combo?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:48 AM
I don´t really understand why you don´t like the SI, though? Anything wrong with it in relation to the Pioneer?

Personally, I prefer the SI, because of the bail...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:38:59 AM
Its something about the snap and and steel used in the blade.  It is hard to describe, but after using a couple farmers regularly the difference between the two is noticeable.  Maybe I am being too picky, lol.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:41:06 AM
I personally never had any problems with the snap on my SI, but well, to each their own, as they say ;)

Personally, I prefer the screwdriving capabilities of the can opener, so the Pioneer would be my choice out of the two.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%