Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some suggestions please :)

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Need some suggestions please :)
on: January 04, 2014, 05:07:06 AM
Hey everyone. Been a little while since I've last posted.

I recently bought a Swisstool, in my opinion an upgrade from any of the many LM or SOG's I've been carrying for years.

I'd like to find a nice companion SAK to compliment it well. I work in the telecom field for a large cable provider and do line work on the poles as well as in-house tech work. (Recently left the automotive industry for those who may remember my older posts.)

I'd like it to have, but not 100% necessary, an inline phillips, but if something really nice sticks out, the back-spring phillips will work considering the swisstool has an awesome phillips bit already.

I've been thinking of an Explorer, Champion, or (the more expensive) Cybertool 34.

I don't have many requirements other than a decent pair of scissors, considering my Swisstool covers plenty of ground, and I carry my Spyderco everyday at work. This is really more for the 'completion feeling' of having my EDC covered.

In addition, I've been looking at Skinths for quite some time and may pull the trigger soon. I would like to be able to fit the Swisstool; a LM Croc tool; a small, 'homemade' prybar (can be seen in my avatar photo, the blue one); a Streamlight Microstream AAA light; as well as the SAK talked about above. Preferably I'd like to have the SAK in one side sleeve, the light in the other, and the MT and prytools in the main compartments. I'm thinking OG+, but I'm not completely sold on it as of yet. I like the side tube flaps, but I'm not sure it wont be too big for what I'm carrying.

So, in conclusion, I'd like to ask the experts: Which SAK and which Skinth?

--anthony
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:24:55 AM by Romanoat »

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Re: Need some suggestions please :)
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:51:49 AM
Yeoman or explorer I'd say. This way you get the mag glass for reading electrical diagrams and such.

There is a custom yeoman on fleabay right now for a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:54:00 AM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:21 AM
With regard to the SAK, I second (third?) the Explorer if you decide you want the inline Phillips, but you might also consider the Super Tinker if you decide the back spring Phillips is acceptable and you want to save a layer.  Other options would include the Yeoman (as previously mentioned, but you will probably end up paying a premium since they are discontinued) or a Compact with the corkscrew swapped out for the back spring Phillips (but again, you will probably pay a premium since this would be a mod).

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:25:19 AM
Explorer would be good, but I'd say the CT34. It's practically made for a job like yours. The bit-driver is WAY more versatile than the inline Philips and as you say, you  have that covered in the SwissTool.

As far as missing out on the Mag Glass, if you carry a smartphone (and who doesn't these days) there are some excellent magnifier app's available. I use the one I have on my phone all the time.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:36 AM

Explorer would be good, but I'd say the CT34. It's practically made for a job like yours. The bit-driver is WAY more versatile than the inline Philips and as you say, you  have that covered in the SwissTool.

As far as missing out on the Mag Glass, if you carry a smartphone (and who doesn't these days) there are some excellent magnifier app's available. I use the one I have on my phone all the time.
if you go with the CT34 and need the mag glass there is also the cybertool lite... But that gets even more expensive...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:32 PM
Swisschamp? The inline phillips is great and there just so versatile, but I would agree that the CT's driver is probably the best one out there :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Romanoat

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:25:24 PM

So I think I will end up going with the CT34, it just seems too perfect. And yes, the Phillips on the swisstool is far superior to any of my other multi's, even my wave and surge with the bit holder. It's practically a regular Phillips screwdriver. In fact, since I've gotten my Swisstool I haven't touched a full size screwdriver at all.  I just wish the wire cutters were deeper, it takes 2 cuts to get through regular rg6 coax (and I haven't attempted rg11 yet...).

In addition, I'll more than likely still order an explorer along with the CT34, as a backup and day-off carry to compliment my wave that gets weekend and house use :)

Thanks for helping me spend more money than I intended, but then again, that's what this forum is all about  :rofl:

Now, about that skinth....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:41:19 PM by Romanoat »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:50 PM
CT 34 for sure.  Its excellent.  :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:10 PM
Maybe you don't need a SAK, considering the Swisstool has such a large number of implements already.

Or, the classic MTO answer is: Buy every SAK in existence and then choose one! ;)
Leatherman

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:36:33 PM
CT 34 for sure.  Its excellent.  :tu:

So excellent that I have two for some reason.  :think:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:57 PM
I think you've made the right choice in the Cybertool 34.  The inline phillips is great, but it's really no different than the phillips driver you will already have on the Swisstool.  The CT34's bit driver will give you more options, and more reach.  It will also provide another set of smaller pliers that may come in handy in more delicate situations, especially since the Swisstool's plier head is rather blunt.  The CT34 fits perfectly in a large Zermatt pouch.
- Terry

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:31 AM
I would go with either the Explorer or Champ Plus (if you think you would need/use saw and file) and if you need a small set of pliers, I would go with the Swisschamp.  If you dont need those two tools, I would go with the Explorer as it is a great SAK!  :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:34:49 AM

I use this app on my phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digital_and_dreams.android.swiss_army_knife
It is hard to beat that app on name alone!

And yes, get a Cybertool 34 - it is a really useful SAK to have on-hand.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:08:08 AM
will definitely download that one. :)

ca Offline ianbalgobin

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:52 PM
I can vouch for the versatility of the CT34, but it is a bit thick for EDC.  I keep it on my desk at work. (I.T. Work).
The CT29 is really a great choice too.  You'll only be missing out on the small pliers and scissors. 

I would recommend the Cyber-Yeoman from SwissBianco.  I have one coming in the mail tomorrow, and it looks like a perfect mix between the CT's, Yeoman, and Explorer.  You won't get the pliers, but you'll get the bit driver, mag glass, and inline philips driver.  In my opinion that is the PERFECT SAK to compliment my Leatherman Skeletool.  Some redundancy, and some complimentary action.

Cheers!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:21 PM
The CT34 does have a great tool set, so I too think it's a wise choice.  Of course. like CLMf said, you could just buy a bunch and choose that way!  :D

us Offline Papa Rich

• What's This ?
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 08:29:41 PM
In my opinion, the best sak made is the cybertool 41. My EDC. Still Available in many colors.
Victorinox Rich

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35:38 PM
Astronaut!

us Offline Romanoat

Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:07 AM
ok quick update. I ordered a ct34 and a super tinker. should be arriving tomorrow. the tinker was impulse. im also considering a ct29. im thinking the ct29 may actually be great for work in addition to my swisstool. the ct34 for when im not carrying my swisstool or wave, and the tinker for when im carrying my wave but not working. I also ordered a maxpedition pocket organizer along with a lm bit kit and extender. im pretty sure I have everything covered.

now, to figure out how to mod my ST or wave to have a cable prep tool and a compression tool....... :rofl: :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%