Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Wood Working Thread

derekmac · 144 · 12300

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The Wood Working Thread
on: January 04, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
Since there are a few of us here that enjoy wood working, I figured I'd start a thread for it (there isn't one already, is there?).  You can talk about different tools, projects, or whatever you like.  Just remember, we all love pics here!!  :D

I've just recently started to get back into wood working myself.  My father use to be a cabinet/furniture maker, and when I was younger I always enjoyed being out in the shop with him helping him make things.  It's been quite a few years since he's made anything though, and I've started to get the interest to make a few things for the house, and possibly to start selling.

Most of what I will be making will be made with reclaimed wood from work.  Some crates and pallets we get have really nice wood, and to me, it's a sin to let it go to waste.

Here are a couple of things I've made so far, and right now I'm working on making two small end tables to go beside the couch in our entertainment room.

Here's a little stand I made for my iPhone cases.  I had some off-cuts, and through this together.

Here's a small table I made for my wife for beside her chair.

Here's a shelf for over the washer and dryer.  All cuts on this were done with my circular saw as I didn't have my table saw yet.

Here's a washer toss set I made.

pt Offline RamoN

Re: The Wood Working Thread
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:10:30 PM
Nice work there.

My grandfather was a carpenter, perhaps i could use this as an excuse to get back to that. Ive done many things with metal but almost nothing with wood yet.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:43:19 PM
Wow, great idea.

As soon as all my wenger stuff has come in  :D I intend to begin building a case or cases. Considering this was my former trade and I've got more joinery tools than you could shake a stick at...I can't wait to get stuck in!!

All I need is................to find the time  :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:45:45 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:50:17 PM
Thanks!  I'm starting off with simpler projects to get my mind back into it, and to try and remember some of the stuff I have forgotten. 

Here's what I'm working on now, the two side tables.

Here's the wood how it was after I broke the crate down.

After being planed and glued together.

Trimmed to final dimensions.

After a pass through the router.

Playing with transferring an image printed from our laser printer.  The logo I made wasn't that dark, so it didn't transfer that well.  I also don't think my modelling iron really gets hot enough.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:51:21 PM
Wow, great idea.

As soon as all my wenger stuff has come in  :D I intend to begin building a case or cases. Considering this was my former trade and I've got more joinery tools than you could shake a stick at...I can't wait to get stuck in!!

Ah yes, the ever elusive time.  It is very hard to find sometimes, isn't it.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:14 PM
Wow, great idea.

Ah yes, the ever elusive time.  It is very hard to find sometimes, isn't it.

Very!!  Especially when there's a 6yr old wanting to help dad.
I'm not too keen to bring out the big boys toys when little man is wandering by - if you get my drift 

I can't decide which is worse a honed chisel or a table saw  :facepalm: scary thought, is it not??

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
It really is scary! My kids are 6&4, but they find the power tools too loud so they don't really want to be in the garage while I'm working.

I try and keep the tools in safe mode too. Blades down/covered, chisels in the tool box, ect. They also know not to touch or go near anything, but in your mind you know there's always the chance.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:16:25 AM
It really is scary! My kids are 6&4, but they find the power tools too loud so they don't really want to be in the garage while I'm working.

I try and keep the tools in safe mode too. Blades down/covered, chisels in the tool box, ect. They also know not to touch or go near anything, but in your mind you know there's always the chance.

I only got out of the building trade not 10 months ago. Upto that point, my son had grown used to me in my work gear, constantly sorting tools out in the van for the next days job - but in all that time I rarely if ever did work at home.its just too risky..... There's no second chance.

I heard a story....

Fella's in his garage beavering away with the circular saw. Dust mask, goggles, ear defenders the works!! Finishes the cut a pulls the saw up and back behind himself when he realises the saw has banged against something....... Turns and see's his young granddaughter rubbing her head.......the blade was still spinning inside the guard!!

Easy as that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:32:01 AM by tosh »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:02 AM
This is just to get me subscribed.  I will be posting pictures in the next day or so.  The Bosslady (and I) really enjoy woodworking.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:02:29 AM
I have been doing a few things in recent months and some are detailed in these threads.

http://forum.multitool.org/the-break-room/building-something-a-little-bigger-than-pocket-knives

http://forum.multitool.org/the-break-room/display-case-coffee-table-build-pix

my latest.. particularly suitable for this thread mixing MT's and woodwork.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:08:35 AM
A bar for when the working is done

A "Table for Two"

and the best Pic I have of a full size 6 seater Dining table.. Sold before I could get a photo with its legs on.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:28 PM
Your tables look great Peter!  :tu:

I've made some progress on my side tables today.

I have the edges all routed now.

Here's a rough idea of how the  bottoms of the tops will look.

Getting these glued up are ready to mount to the table tops.

I'm still trying to decide on what I want to do for legs.  I don't want plain straight legs, so I was thinking of a slight taper at the bottom, and maybe a bit of router work on the edges, but nothing too noticeable, just enough to break the hard lines.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:06 PM
I've done a little bit of work, but they are mostly functional related like edge for new floor, wall shelf for basement, and the the footboard you've all seen. Nothing as fancy as those posted here.  :-[

I think I've finally found a proper lumberyard though, but it's kinda far, and it's too cold to work outside anyway so I haven't checked it out.

Also would like a circular saw and a bandsaw, but no more storage space...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:03:51 PM by jzmtl »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:09 PM
Well the top is assembled now, and I've got the basic design of the legs cut out.  It's not perfect, but I think that can be expected when the wood is from crates and pallets that I had to pull staples and nails out of.  I'm actually really happy with how it's coming along, as I had no plans, and was just going from ideas in my head.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:07:21 AM
And here's one finished table.  Now for a quick final sanding, then stain.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:00 AM
Nice job derekmac! Looks good. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:37 AM
I enjoyed woodworking growing up too, unfortunately I have no space for a workshop here :(

Guess that limits me to smaller projects...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:52 PM
Nice job derekmac! Looks good. JR
Thanks JR.  I had a really hard time trying to figure out what to do with the legs.  I ended up just doing a double taper on the bottoms, and a round over on the edges.  It's not as fancy as I wanted, but routing a fancier edge proved hard with the double taper. 

I enjoyed woodworking growing up too, unfortunately I have no space for a workshop here :(

You really do need quite a bit of room to have a half decent setup going.  We have a two car attached garage, and even that's really not big enough for what I have, and I still need to get my bandsaw and lathe.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 01:35:45 PM

You really do need quite a bit of room to have a half decent setup going.  We have a two car attached garage, and even that's really not big enough for what I have, and I still need to get my bandsaw and lathe.
Unfortunately I'm in an apartment building, my garage is communal. The bigger issue is constant cleanup in between stages, sometimes you need to put things down for a bit to do something else, and here that requires cleaning everything up which usually takes more time than you can dedicate to a project, that and the setup time required as well.

I'd love to have a true workshop/private garage off a house... or even a small warehouse in an industrial estate or similar.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline SupraFreak13

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 03:47:55 PM
I'll join in...this summer I was house sitting for 3 weeks, a friend and long time wood workers house.  He has a large wood shop, so I was able to go to town for a few weeks.

Cedar Coat hanger, with tiny hand painted people

Wood Letter Opener with scroll saw work.

Then I went to town on about 8 band saw boxes...here are highlights...

Cedar log with custom shelf/storage

Square box

I also do a little chip carving and wood burning.....jewelry box for the lady

Burned from this picture at Rock state park MD
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:03:50 PM by SupraFreak13 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 04:01:01 PM
Wow. Awesome work. :hatsoff:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:45 PM
Wow!  Fantastic work guys!  I'll get some pictures once the temps go up a bit.   :(

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 05:04:37 PM
Holy crap SupraFreak, that is some really beautiful work! :hatsoff:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 05:23:56 PM
Beautiful work guys!  I'm not much of a woodworker myself, have no place for tools at the place I'm renting.  :(  I sell finishing products for a living though, a lot of my customers are cabinet and furniture shops.  If anyone has any wood finishing questions, I'm more than happy to answer them the best I can.  :tu:  Looks like you guys have that well in hand though.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:33 PM
I have been thinking about making my own table base for my table saw, and I want to take the extension wing off of the right side, and use a laminate (or something) top and mount my router in it.  In theory, I should be able to use my table saw fence with a piece of sacrificial wood attached to it as a fence for the router too.

I was thinking about trying to use SketchUp to design it, but I haven't really played around with it too much yet.  Does anyone here use it?

Beautiful work guys!  I'm not much of a woodworker myself, have no place for tools at the place I'm renting.  :(  I sell finishing products for a living though, a lot of my customers are cabinet and furniture shops.  If anyone has any wood finishing questions, I'm more than happy to answer them the best I can.  :tu:  Looks like you guys have that well in hand though.....
Thanks for the offer Tom!  I do happen to have a question for ya.  I'm going to be applying a Minwax Red Mahogany stain to the tables, but I'd like to add some sort of protection to the top to stop liquids from soaking into the wood.  I was going to use a semi-gloss Polyurethane over it, but was wondering if there's something else you'd recommend?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 06:07:56 PM

Unfortunately I'm in an apartment building, my garage is communal. The bigger issue is constant cleanup in between stages, sometimes you need to put things down for a bit to do something else, and here that requires cleaning everything up which usually takes more time than you can dedicate to a project, that and the setup time required as well.

I'd love to have a true workshop/private garage off a house... or even a small warehouse in an industrial estate or similar.
I'm with you on the apartment problem, I used to have a small workshop back at our house, nothing big but I made things work, I turned a circular saw into a table saw, router into a full size table, also jig saw and drill  to full size. I had to get rid of most tables and full size stuff but kept the must haves, so there sitting in the basement. Only thing that I think went bad is the batteries for the cordless drill, after not chagrin nor using it for so long,,
Here's a few of my projects, JR

My latest, it's a double sided workstation for both my paracord and leather work,

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 06:45:19 PM
Polyurethane is exactly what I'd recommend Derek.  If you're doing an oil-based one, give it two coats.  If water-based, three coats.  The oil will be more durable, but will yellow over time.  The water-based won't yellow, and will dry faster as well.  After applying the final coat, wait at least 48-72 hours for the poly to cure to full hardness.  And always remember - DO NOT SHAKE polyurethane!  Stir it!  Shaking will put a ton of tiny air bubbles in the finish, and will make it a nightmare.  Hope this helps.  :tu:

That'll be $10, Paypal please.....  :P
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:40 PM
Perfect, thanks Tom! :cheers:

Do not shake, yep, did that once. :facepalm: Wow, what a hell of a nightmare that created. Made me want to take my 12lb sledge hammer and smash the piece and the can of poly to bits!! I won't make that mistake again. :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:47 PM
$10???  :ahhh:

:rofl:  Add it to the tab that will be sure to increase! :D :rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
$10???  :ahhh:

:rofl:  Add it to the tab that will be sure to increase! :D :rofl:

>:D   :P  I'll let it slide this time, especially since I'm actually at the store and getting paid while I type this.  :D  One problem with working in a store that's been in town for over 40 years - people recognize you outside of work and ask you questions.  When I'm doing my food shopping, I really don't feel like helping you fix the stain on your deck.......

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%