Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirks slip joint field test

kirk13 · 127 · 12613

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Kirks slip joint field test
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:10 PM
I've had a couple of RR's and I'm baffled how they can make such a good knife, ship it across half the planet and still make a profit ??? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I guess it just shows how much profit Case (and other knife makers) is raking in, even with their higher operating cost.

Very true sadly :(

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:16 PM
So here's the pawn for tonight  :D

Peanut at lunchtime

The Deuce,with a 58mm SAK for scale

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:23 PM
So here's the pawn for tonight  :D

Peanut at lunchtime

The Deuce,with a 58mm SAK for scale

Dang that Deuce is small. I bet you loose it before the week is over  :D
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:16 PM
Yeah,that is a bit of a concern :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:31 AM
Couple of questions. What's the BO MT you just posted? It looks like the Wave/Fuse plier head but that looks more like a PST body?

What do these slipjoints give you over a SAK? Or is that the purpose of the exercise?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:52 AM
It's the mk2 version of my KST,a bladeless PST . That's the late model plier head :tu:

The slippies,in real terms,offer nothing over a SAK,but I'm interested if one is a viable alternative to the Boxer. Also,I really want to see if a Case is better than a China cheapie. It's gone a wee bit further in that while the test is running,each of victo...I mean test subjects will see kitchen duties as well as work and club duties.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:25:20 AM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:02 PM
Very little more to report...being in the post Christmas lull,there's not a great amount of box bashing to do at work. Deliveries will probably start again in a week or two,so the Peanut is  having an easy time.

Last night,it saw dinner duty,chopping my pizza into bite sized bits(chicken,onions,peppers,mushrooms and black olives,thanks for asking). It ate the pizza up without breaking its stride,not even being troubled by stretchy cheese!

We're half way through the Peanuts rotation in the test,and I've gotta say,it's punching well over its weight !

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:07 PM
So, you have not slayed any zombies yet or had to survive in the amazon rainforest using it, chopping wood, killing snakes etc ?

Come on, show as some batoning pictures!

(also check which knife is better for "pulling"  :D  )

:o    :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:09 AM
So, you have not slayed any zombies yet or had to survive in the amazon rainforest using it, chopping wood, killing snakes etc ?

There's a few things at work I'd like to baton,but my union rep says its inappropriate  :whistle:

Again,nothing much to report,except to say that the Peanut excelled chopping up an apple( and before you scoff,this little test was flunked big time by the Fit),chopped a few more boxes without breaking sweat,and generally has been a very pleasing EDC

Tomorrow is its last day of testing,and while I'm looking forward to putting the Gunstock through its paces,I rather think I'll miss the Peanut! Oh,and Detron,if your reading this, :twak:

That's for showing off the Stoneworx Peanut :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh yeah,I'm STILL waiting for the smurfing Case to show up :rant: :rant: :rant:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:16 AM

There's a few things at work I'd like to baton,but my union rep says its inappropriate  :whistle:

Again,nothing much to report,except to say that the Peanut excelled chopping up an apple( and before you scoff,this little test was flunked big time by the Fit),chopped a few more boxes without breaking sweat,and generally has been a very pleasing EDC

Tomorrow is its last day of testing,and while I'm looking forward to putting the Gunstock through its paces,I rather think I'll miss the Peanut! Oh,and Detron,if your reading this, :twak:

That's for showing off the Stoneworx Peanut :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh yeah,I'm STILL waiting for the smurfing Case to show up :rant: :rant: :rant:

Good deal, someone else is taking the blame for slipjoint envy.  ;)  Glad you got along well with the Peanut Kirky, looking forward to your thoughts on the Gunstock.  I've got a RR ready to go to work tomorrow, my smooth bone Barlow.  :)  If you like the Gunstock as well, you've gotta get yourself a Barlow, sized right in between the two RR's you have.....  :pok:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 07:03:57 AM
TBH Tom,if they were available here in the UK,I'd probably have one already! The other one I'm liking the look of,but can't get locally is this one
http://www.opticsplanet.com/rough-rider-half-hawk-fold-knife.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:50 PM
So the Peanut has had its week,and the Gunstock has already taken over the duties.

Before talking any further about the Gunstock,let's summarise my feelings about the Peanut...

The peanut cost £7.95,and weights in at a featherweight 32.5 grams. Fit and finish are good. They could improve the fit slightly on the scales,but I've paid more for worse before today. Snap is good,but say 25% softer than a Vic SAK. Its easy to sharpen,even for a klutz like me. Grind angle is similar to a SAK . It simply just disappears in your trouser pocket. It caused no discomfort in a weeks worth of carry.

Best of all,it sliced and diced its way through dinner preparation, pizza,fruit,and every cardboard box that got in its road.

And criticisms? Well,if it were a half inch longer,and ten grams heavier I reckon it would have been slightly better handling,but I guess then it wouldn't be a Peanut! The tiny Rough Rider has set a hard target for the Case a Mini Trapper,if it ever arrives!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 06:25:27 PM
I've got to admit that I've not carried a traditional folder in a while, but your experience with the peanut has got me thinking it's time to go dig one out. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:38 PM
I have to be honest,I've enjoyed it! Having said that,my KST has a perfect tool load for my work,and only lacks a blade,so any slippie makes a good complement. If I weren't carrying a MT, then the slippie cannot be a substitute for a SAK.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:06 PM
 :popcorn:
Looking forward to reading about the riflemans performance.  :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:34 PM
The big question - which is going to arrive first, the Case or your new RR Barlow?  :think:  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:25 AM
The big question - which is going to arrive first, the Case or your new RR Barlow?  :think:  ;)

I'm betting on the Barlow  :rant: Smurfing Case! I'm half hoping it doesn't turn up now!

:popcorn:
Looking forward to reading about the riflemans performance.  :)

Well the Gunstock had already been in action,appropriately enough,on a shooting range yesterday,but I'll post the details in the correct place in a bit

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 10:55:28 PM
 :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Case arrived!
The Case arrived!!
The Case arrived!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:58 PM
Awesome!  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 11:49:59 PM
ITS SO NICE! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:16 AM
So now that I've calmed down a bit,and stopped running around the corridors of Blamington Hall,let's get back to task...

The first thing about the Gunstock that is of note is that both blades have a half stop. I'm not sure if I like this or not,but as the week goes on I'll probably get used to it. Fit and finish are generally good,better than the Peanut. This is most noticeable where the scales meet the bolsters. The scales are a joy,as the checking is deep,giving the knife a reassuring grip in the hand. There is one noticeable flaw on one of the brass liners

Not a big thing at the price,and TBH only really noticeable if you go looking for faults. To me,it adds a bit of character

My Gunstock has two bugbears,one May end up being serious,one trivial. The serious one is with the smaller blade. Both blades have a very positive snap to them,and the first stage of opening to the half stop is rather stiff. On the smaller blade it might end up being a nail breaker. I ended up having to use the large blade for dirty cutting today,as my thumb was still wrapped in a plaster after getting a love bite from from my Alox Electrician yesterday,and as such,I didn't have enough nail showing to get into the nick :facepalm:

The trivial issue is the little Winchester(or Henry,or Marlin or whatever) inlay. It's not as nicely executed as the the Rough Rider badge on the Peanut,or as nice as the Long Rifle inlay on my Rifleman Muskrat. Trivial I know,but there you go!

The Gunstock took up its duties on Sunday morning in time for a trip to Sheprith for a HFT competition. It's only call to arms was to help remove the Sellotape I'd been using to hold the crono on the silencer of the Ultra. Not a big task,but undertaken in temperatures close to 0 centigrade,while wearing a bulky thinsulate glove,albeit with my digits exposed. The Gunstock was nice and easy to handle,not too conspicuous,although,given all the guns around,knives don't tend to be an issue.

Today seen some light boxing,before a clean,and use in the kitchen for chopping veg for tonight's dinner. The longer blade and handle makes for greater ease of handling compared to the Peanut,and despite its quirks,it may well be another winner.

Watch this space!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 03:29:07 AM

The Case arrived!
The Case arrived!!
The Case arrived!!!

4900 posts and we have to explain this to you?  :think:  PICTURES, MAN, PICTURES!!!!!!  ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:37 AM

The Case arrived!
The Case arrived!!
The Case arrived!!!

4900 posts and we have to explain this to you?  :think:  PICTURES, MAN, PICTURES!!!!!!  ;)

:facepalm:  the shame......

:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:16 AM
What is it cLMf always says at this point :think:

Oh yeah!

:twak:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:58 AM
Good news about the Case. :D  It is, by the way, TOTALLY your fault that I find myself carrying a Vic Pocket Pal today. ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:19 AM
Only a Pocket Pal? I'll have to send you a Rough Rider :pok:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:42 PM
Never let it be said I don't listen to people :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:23 PM
Very nice.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 06:44:05 PM
Nice!  I like the blonde bone, my CV small Texas Jack has it.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:39 PM
Only a Pocket Pal? I'll have to send you a Rough Rider :pok:

I have a Rough Rider Canoe in white. 8) 

Seen here next to my only Case (a stockman).

I also had a RR Whittler that I gave away a while ago.

However that's no reason not to send me another.  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%