Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A foot of snow (30cm) = heavy!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: A foot of snow (30cm) = heavy!
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 04:28:05 PM
We rarely get a dusting of snow here, if anything traffic gets worse as people seem to drive faster when there's rain or snow falling.

a few CM of snow pretty much grinds the whole city to a halt... and it's great to not hear the heavy traffic for a while!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
Oh and I meant to mention my disdain for many drivers during stormy weather as well.  Like others have said, some will drive too slowly during rain, which happened to me last night actually.  Others will move right along on snowy roads when they should be driving slow (the jacked up trucks and SUVs).  Some people seem to think that because they have 4wd that snow/ice mean nothing and they cannot slip/slide at all :rant:  Heck, I have an SUV and don't drive like that.  It also bugs me how there seem to be so many accidents early on in the season, as if it's totally new to many.  Although I'm sure there could be some new, less experienced drivers involved in some of them...
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 05:20:33 PM
The funny thing is winter reminds me how sucky my car is in winter.  My car (honda civic) with brand new snow tires on, is 100x worse than my wifes CRV with bald all seaons on.  So... AWD and weight are more important than winter tires it seems.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:06 PM
The funny thing is winter reminds me how sucky my car is in winter.  My car (honda civic) with brand new snow tires on, is 100x worse than my wifes CRV with bald all seaons on.  So... AWD and weight are more important than winter tires it seems.
Our new Elantra is no where near as good as any of the Jetta's we've owned.  My favourite car in the snow was one of my first cars, an 88 Jetta diesel.  That thing was a tank!  The best part was, if I did get stuck, I'd just put it in first, let the clutch out, and get out an push! :D  With the torque of the diesel, it would never stall, and a snail moved faster than it did at idle, so it wasn't too un-safe! :D  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 06:46:21 PM
We have a 01' Santa Fe, with AWD, and JUST replaced the tires. I suspect we're good to go, although I haven't gone out since the snow.

About sweating... If I had to stay out, I would never have pushed as hard as I did. Sweating in cold weather is a good way to get hypothermia as you cool down, but I knew that I was 30 feet from warm inside and coffee.

Also... my back is really letting me know what I did yesterday. Gettin' old.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:41 PM
I just have all seasons on my Jeep and they have run fine in the worst weather we've had with no issues.  The only way I could be any better off is if I'd had studded tires on it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 07:19:28 PM
I just have all seasons on my Jeep and they have run fine in the worst weather we've had with no issues.  The only way I could be any better off is if I'd had studded tires on it.

Def

Makes sense, I suspected people with 4WD would just invest in good all seasons. 

I really have no urge to ever buy a 2WD again, but my car is paid for so I feel compelled to drive it into the ground then start again.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 07:52:17 PM
yesterday I headed to work the wind chill was -30. 

This morning, the car would not start (Wind chill was -40)

the battery was 5 years old, but never had any symptoms at all of dying.

it really sucked to change it in this crazy cold.
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:57 PM
If your in the UK,it takes about a quarter of an inch to make things grind to a halt :facepalm:

as much as that?
I

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:16 PM
leaves on the rails from what I recall is all it took to grind everything to a halt...  :facepalm:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:50 PM
leaves on the rails from what I recall is all it took to grind everything to a halt...  :facepalm:
If there's leaves on the rails, wouldn't they be ground to mulch?  :think:  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:36 PM
I had an image of a single perfect snowflake falling, landing with the sound of a tiny chiming bell, then the sounds of car crashes and panic following.  :rofl:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:52 PM

Def

Makes sense, I suspected people with 4WD would just invest in good all seasons. 

I really have no urge to ever buy a 2WD again, but my car is paid for so I feel compelled to drive it into the ground then start again.
The thing with all seasons is, the rubber doesn't stay as soft in the cold temps, so you won't get as good as grip compared to winters.  I have all terrains on my Jeep, and they work great in the snow, but not as good on ice as winters.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:29 PM
If your in the UK,it takes about a quarter of an inch to make things grind to a halt :facepalm:

as much as that?

I didn't want our friends on the other side of the Pond to think we were complete wosses :facepalm:

Yeah,but that's in the autumn,early winter...mid winter if there's no snow....

I had an image of a single perfect snowflake falling, landing with the sound of a tiny chiming bell, then the sounds of car crashes and panic following.  :rofl:

You've been here before then?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:26 PM
Wow people all this snow talk is making me cold.  I haven't a clue as to what any of you all are dealing with.  In my neck of the woods it barely rains so stay warm out there y'all.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:23 PM
Just cleaned the driveway. I sure hope we don't get 30 inches of snow!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 01:14:57 AM
I thought you all might enjoy this...

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:45 AM
I thought you all might enjoy this...

:rofl:

"The leaves are blowing around a little bit"

:rofl:

they wore better coats than I do!   :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:53 AM
I know people that wear shorts year round... here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:57 AM
Wow people all this snow talk is making me cold.  I haven't a clue as to what any of you all are dealing with.  In my neck of the woods it barely rains so stay warm out there y'all.

Aloha buddy, just out of curiosity....what is the average daily temp in your area?
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 03:59:20 AM

Aloha buddy, just out of curiosity....what is the average daily temp in your area?

I don't want to know the answer, it'll probably just make me depressed.....  We're at 2o heading to -1 right now.  Tomorrow's gonna be a positively tropical 19.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 04:05:21 AM

I don't want to know the answer, it'll probably just make me depressed.....  We're at 2o heading to -1 right now.  Tomorrow's gonna be a positively tropical 19.  :tu:

Yeah, I thought I may not want to know either ;)  It's 11o here right now, and supposed to be low 20's tomorrow, so I'll probably be out with no coat on ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 05:20:29 AM
The average winter temps are seldom below 40F and summer temps seldom above 85F with August temps being the hottest where we may hit the mid 90'sF on a few days.  Today was 70F and clear blue skies.  People are in shorts and tees year around with the occasional hoodie or umbrella when it decides to rain.  We have less than 10 inches per year of rain with some years significantly less.  Keep in mind I live in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US and the cost of living is generally among the highest in US.  WE PAY FOR OUR WEATHER  :facepalm:.  I love my city but there are times where I wonder how well off I'd be in another city. 

1500 sq ft home $350,000       
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
Got up this morning...first thing I did was to look outside. No snow fell.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 12:29:47 PM
The average winter temps are seldom below 40F and summer temps seldom above 85F with August temps being the hottest where we may hit the mid 90'sF on a few days.  Today was 70F and clear blue skies.  People are in shorts and tees year around with the occasional hoodie or umbrella when it decides to rain.  We have less than 10 inches per year of rain with some years significantly less.  Keep in mind I live in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US and the cost of living is generally among the highest in US.  WE PAY FOR OUR WEATHER  :facepalm:.  I love my city but there are times where I wonder how well off I'd be in another city. 

1500 sq ft home $350,000     

Funny you should say that, I was actually looking at real estate in your neck of the woods last week!  It did seem a bit pricier than I was comfortable with, that's for sure!

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:23 PM

1500 sq ft home $350,000     

Oh man, 70F and clear blue skies :dd:  That's about my ideal temp right there 70-75F.  And not much rain either.  If it wasn't so expensive, I'd want to move there ASAP ;) 
K-Tibbs

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 04:05:21 PM

1500 sq ft home $350,000     

Oh man, 70F and clear blue skies :dd:  That's about my ideal temp right there 70-75F.  And not much rain either.  If it wasn't so expensive, I'd want to move there ASAP ;) 
I'd suggest Canary Islands... although you'd probably need to learn Spanish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands#Climate

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 04:50:59 PM

1500 sq ft home $350,000     

Funny you should say that, I was actually looking at real estate in your neck of the woods last week!  It did seem a bit pricier than I was comfortable with, that's for sure!

Def

Its not something most are comfortable with either.  When the housing market surged it was scary to see homes in the worst part of the city going for 1/2 million bucks.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 04:56:24 PM

1500 sq ft home $350,000     

I'd suggest Canary Islands... although you'd probably need to learn Spanish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands#Climate

Canary Islands sounds wonderful.  I should have ventured in that direction when I was cooking in hotels.  Tourism and cooking always go hand in hand it would have been interesting. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD