Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Solingen Fishing Multi

Yadda · 24 · 3099

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Solingen Fishing Multi
on: January 07, 2014, 08:41:06 PM
I'm sure Bob has posted this one before, but I couldn't find it.  The gaff is just too special.  Lynn can't fault this one for having a scaler since the entire tool is designed for fishing.  I snagged a pic and includled a link.  Usual disclosure don't know them, not recommeding them, just thought it was interesting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261367182405?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_139wt_1124
Solingen.jpg
* Solingen.jpg (Filesize: 42.18 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Solingen Fishing Multi
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:04 AM
So you won't be bidding on it ? 

In that case I might (it fits my usual criteria: "pliery" MT that is also unusual/odd/weird/amusing  :D )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:21 AM
Great find again Yadda. I really like tools specifically designed for fishing.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:26:45 AM
That's cool!  I wish it were still being produced, I'd hate to muck that beauty up, going fishing with it... :oops:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:19 PM
Looks similar to Bob's fishing tool from "Before There Was Leatherman" series, Chapter 8. back on BF before he joined MTO.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:25:49 PM

In that case I might (it fits my usual criteria: "pliery" MT that is also unusual/odd/weird/amusing  :D )

No, I'm not bidding on this one.  go for it!  I have multiple reasons for letting this one go, mostly budgetary.  I have far exceeded my allowance this past year.  In addition,  I don't get to wet hooks much hese days and don't need a gaff for the fishing I do. 
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:16 PM
Looks similar to Bob's fishing tool from "Before There Was Leatherman" series, Chapter 8. back on BF before he joined MTO.

(Image removed from quote.)

Definite DNA from older one Bob posted in the one I posted.  I do like the gaff and the way the designer chose to curve the handle  to allow a better grip when using the gaff (or at least my interpretation of why the handle is curved).

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:58 PM

No, I'm not bidding on this one.  go for it!  I have multiple reasons for letting this one go, mostly budgetary.  I have far exceeded my allowance this past year.  In addition,  I don't get to wet hooks much hese days and don't need a gaff for the fishing I do.
I'm out of the race too (already been outbid - no surprise, I didn't want it badly enough to bid very high).  Oh well, those $$$ can be spent on some other MT now.  But thanks for letting us know about this one.  I like to see the unusual MTs that are around.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 04:41:39 AM
Argh, I missed it too! :bnghd:

Not that I really needed another one I suppose. :P But that one had checkered red handles, whereas mine has smooth red handles. :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:39:43 AM

Not that I really needed another one I suppose. :P But that one had checkered red handles, whereas mine has smooth red handles. :D

That's what I like about MTo, you can often find someone even crazier more obsessive than yourself who makes you look less bad by comparison   ;)   :whistle:  :rofl:  (well, as long as they don't ask me about my legion of Schrades, anyway  :-[  )

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:01:04 AM

That's what I like about MTo, you can often find someone even crazier more obsessive than yourself who makes you look less bad by comparison   ;)   :whistle:  :rofl:  (well, as long as they don't ask me about my legion of Schrades, anyway  :-[  )

Yep, making you guys look less bad by comparison, that's my job around here. :salute: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:08 AM
Very interesting design, especially having a pocket hook.

-AdmSlc

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:32:39 PM
I have to agree with Bob.  The checkered handles were/are very nice!

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:19 PM
Ok dumb question time, what is the middle part of the pliers with the notch-tip for?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
Ok dumb question time, what is the middle part of the pliers with the notch-tip for?

Crushing lead weights on a line.  (Can you believe we used our teeth when I was young? :ahhh)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:01 PM

Crushing lead weights on a line.  (Can you believe we used our teeth when I was young? :ahhh)

Then at some point someone saw a better way and created this whole new "need" that included a way to help save our teeth crushing lead weights and biting line.... Have we really moved forward?  :D

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:37 PM
Interesting;first one I've seen with pliers built in. Here are a couple that I have.
Two Fred MacOverland plier multi-tools.
A combination pliers/fish scaler/knife.
And a few unusual fishing knives:
Both of these knives feature wide cork handles allowing them to float if dropped overboard.The first one opens as a normal knife and has a spear point blade with fish scaler on top and a folding gaff.
The second is unusual in that in order to open it you must pull the handles slightly apart allowing them to rotate around and eventually exposing the blade and locking into position. I have quite a few examples of floating knives;both folding and fixed blade.
FM7.jpg
* FM7.jpg (Filesize: 88.17 KB)
Tool6A.jpg
* Tool6A.jpg (Filesize: 70.69 KB)
Floater1.jpg
* Floater1.jpg (Filesize: 42.89 KB)
Funny04.jpg
* Funny04.jpg (Filesize: 62.57 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:04 PM
Nice ones Ray! I've got a few variations of thos MacOverland plier tools myself. Actually, I think there were at least seven or eight distinct versions of those fishing pliers. All made in Germany I believe. I'll put up some pictures of mine.

The gaff hook on your floating knife looks much like the one on the red-handled fishing knife at the start of this thread. Wonder if they came from the same factory? :think:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:24 AM

The gaff hook on your floating knife looks much like the one on the red-handled fishing knife at the start of this thread. Wonder if they came from the same factory? :think:

It's a possibility;that one was made by a company called Lunawerks from Italy;possibly made by Latama.I also have this one that is similar to the original poster's knife sans the pliers.This one is Italian also.
JohnsonGaffKnife.jpg
* JohnsonGaffKnife.jpg (Filesize: 100.06 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:24 AM
Wow, that one looks exactly like mine, minus the pliers. The shape of the handle, the blades, everything looks the same. But mine is stamped Solingen Germany in a couple of places. And yours is from Italy? :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:22 AM
Wow, that one looks exactly like mine, minus the pliers. The shape of the handle, the blades, everything looks the same. But mine is stamped Solingen Germany in a couple of places. And yours is from Italy?

I am pretty sure that it is;let me dig it out and I'll get back to you shortly.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 03:24:13 AM
Just re-checked it and the stamping is almost obliterated but it does say,D------Solingen Germany;it is not Italian as I first thought.The design on the scale is of a fish with the words Fishsaver  superimposed over it.Part of the lettering is missing.
Fishsaver 001.jpg
* Fishsaver 001.jpg (Filesize: 57.81 KB)
Fishsaver 002.jpg
* Fishsaver 002.jpg (Filesize: 46.81 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 03:36:59 AM
Okay great, thanks for the extra info and photos! So it seems likely that both of these came from the same place.

Oh, and in your previous picture is that the word MAGNET on the hook disgorger blade?

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 03:54:15 AM
Okay great, thanks for the extra info and photos! So it seems likely that both of these came from the same place.

Oh, and in your previous picture is that the word MAGNET on the hook disgorger blade?
Yes it is.The end of the blade is slightly magnetized;probably to pick up a fish hook.I doubt it could pick up anything much heavier.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%