Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ebay treasure

Pacu · 36 · 3564

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ebay treasure
on: May 24, 2008, 09:29:54 PM
Yea! I won a Leatherman Pulse on Ebay last night for 22 bucks. I should get it next week sometime. If it is half as good as my old supertool i will be very happy. I will most likely put it though its field trials when i start traveling with work again here in a couple of weeks. :gimme:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Ebay treasure
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:33:25 PM
ENJOY!!!!! ;)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:06:31 PM

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:13 PM
Great catch! Let us know how you get on with when you've had a chance :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:42 PM
Great score that mate.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:07:47 AM
I think you'll like it  :D Love mine  :climber:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:52:39 AM
I'm slowly building my collection. Gotta fly under the radar being married ya know. :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 12:55:53 AM
I'm slowly building my collection. Gotta fly under the radar being married ya know. :D

I know that feeling my friend!  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Airman

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:07:38 AM
HA HA  :cheers:been there too, enjoy tool :climber:

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:37:34 AM
I prefer the locks on the Super Tool,but I also prefer the tools on the Pulse,and the lighter weight,congtrat's on a good find,I think you will enjoy it!!!

Offline winaje

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 05:34:12 AM
Mate, I know what you mean, I'm going to start collecting some various LM's, but no idea how I'll fly under the radar around here, haha.  Might have to have a "bike tool" and a "4WD tool" etc etc...

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 05:53:22 AM
what a price, congrats

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 04:14:54 PM
Yeah, eBay is great. A brand new Juice S2 cost me 26 USD + 10 USD int. shipping. There were others bidding, too. What were they thinking?
W

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 04:21:19 PM
Yeah, eBay is great. A brand new Juice S2 cost me 26 USD + 10 USD int. shipping. There were others bidding, too. What were they thinking?
You are making me  :cry: :cry:, I can only dream of those prices :( :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 04:50:34 PM
Great price- I hope it's in better shape than mine was when I got it in eBay!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 04:54:05 PM
You are making me  :cry: :cry:, I can only dream of those prices :( :(

Same here mate.  :(

Good job the banner advertisers post worldwide ey.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 10:38:52 PM
Great price- I hope it's in better shape than mine was when I got it in eBay!   :ahhh

Def

If I remember the "slightly used" ::) phrase was used and it was totally wrecked :ahhh

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 10:42:40 PM
I keep hearing these horror stories about eBay, yet my own experience has always been a thoroughly positive one. All it takes is some research into your seller and readiness to use Paypal's buyer protection.

P.S. I don't go for "used" items. For one thing, you can almost always get a new one for the same price...
W

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:28 AM
I keep hearing these horror stories about eBay, yet my own experience has always been a thoroughly positive one. All it takes is some research into your seller and readiness to use Paypal's buyer protection.

P.S. I don't go for "used" items. For one thing, you can almost always get a new one for the same price...

Yea, it's weird how the used items fetch prices within 10% of the price of a new one from Amazon.

Similarly, it's weird how the new items fetch prices on eBay about 10% more than the prices from Amazon!

"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:01 PM
Don't get me wrong I have never to date had a bad experience on Ebay even with used items Def on the other hand got gipped on a Pulse that was said to have barely been used and was totally ragged out  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:16 PM

Def

If I remember the "slightly used" ::) phrase was used and it was totally wrecked :ahhh

Yup- it was one of the few times I've ever had an issue with eBay.  It's not eBay's fault, and it doesn't stop me from buying on eBay.  Most of the items I've gotten were exactly what they were supposed to be, and I do feel safe in buying there in the future.  The reason I don't buy on eBay much has more to do with lack of funds than any concerns over the quality of sellers.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 10:32:40 AM
I buy all my tools from ebay, new and used. On average, even the new tools are about half the UK RRP. E.g. I can get a Leatherman Wave for £45 - 50 if I'm patient on ebay, it would cost £90+ in a shop.

I think with time you get to know all the reputable sellers, and what their definition of "slightly used" means. There are definitely some bandits out there, but most of the sellers are genuine people.

I think in the UK, the RRP is ridiculously high (about double the cost in the US), so I can understand completely why people will pay good money for 2nd hand tools - after all they are Leatherman and used is usually fine.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:09 AM

Not if you're lucky.  ;)

The used items I buy rarely come within 50% of the street price of whatever multi I'm bidding on. They key is to bid a lot and expect to lose 4-5 auctions before you win one.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 08:36:33 PM
I always lurk on auctions that end in the middle of the night. I set my maximum bid and let er ride. I'm real cheap so i never allow myself to go nuts......unless it is titanium bicycle parts...that's a whole other hobby.  Back in 99-2000 i built a kick ass road bicycle for cheap using ebay....mmmm campagnolo record with spinergy, carbon fiber, and gore cables.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 04:10:16 AM

Not if you're lucky.  ;)

The used items I buy rarely come within 50% of the street price of whatever multi I'm bidding on. They key is to bid a lot and expect to lose 4-5 auctions before you win one.

That's usually the way I try and Ebay but it takes me a lot more than 4 or 5 times most of the time  :( . Of course I am pretty cheap  :D when it comes to just about anything  ::)

us Offline Pacu

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:36 AM
I buy all my tools from ebay, new and used. On average, even the new tools are about half the UK RRP. E.g. I can get a Leatherman Wave for £45 - 50 if I'm patient on ebay, it would cost £90+ in a shop.

I think with time you get to know all the reputable sellers, and what their definition of "slightly used" means. There are definitely some bandits out there, but most of the sellers are genuine people.

I think in the UK, the RRP is ridiculously high (about double the cost in the US), so I can understand completely why people will pay good money for 2nd hand tools - after all they are Leatherman and used is usually fine.

Wow..i didn't think Leathermans would be that high overseas. Wonder what one costs in Oz or Russia? Let's say a Wave or Surge.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:22 PM

Wow..i didn't think Leathermans would be that high overseas. Wonder what one costs in Oz or Russia? Let's say a Wave or Surge.

The problem in the UK is that LTG have a sole import agreement with one company in the UK - i.e. noone else is allowed to import them from the US to resell. That UK company fix the prices, and indeed make their retailers fix the prices that high. I've had a number of discussions with them, and they are very protective of their policy. They take action against UK sellers if they are selling below their RRP - I have experience of that.

It means that anybody that can legitimately sell Leatherman tools in the UK cannot sell them below a certain price.

I have often wondered if LTG are aware how many more tools they could sell in the UK if the prices were closer to the US.

The result is that people like me import them. I have NEVER found a Leatherman in a shop in the UK at a price I'm prepared to pay.

Having said that, look on ebay.de - the prices on there seem to be 50% on top of what we pay!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 05:34:08 PM
Let's see     1 Euro=1.55400 USD   Germany

1.00 GBP = 1.97920 USD    UK
                 1.00 CAD = 1.00634 USD   Canada
                 1.00 AUD = 0.955064 USD  Oz

That's todays currency rate exchange 6/1/08.

Yikes! Leathermans are a bit pricey across the pond. Wonder if Swiss Army knives are cheaper over there? Are SOG, Gerber, and Vic being price fixed over there too?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:39 AM
Let's see     1 Euro=1.55400 USD   Germany

1.00 GBP = 1.97920 USD    UK
                 1.00 CAD = 1.00634 USD   Canada
                 1.00 AUD = 0.955064 USD  Oz

That's todays currency rate exchange 6/1/08.

Yikes! Leathermans are a bit pricey across the pond. Wonder if Swiss Army knives are cheaper over there? Are SOG, Gerber, and Vic being price fixed over there too?

Nothing is cheaper over here.  :(
I'm back!!

Offline winaje

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 03:28:23 AM

Well I just bought a Charge TTI on eBay, for $122US delivered including the 42 piece bit kit.  That's about $130AUD.  Cost here in a shop is a bit over $300AUD for what I got.  And a Surge is about $270AUD.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:53:54 AM by winaje »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD