Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Identifying old multitool/knife

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Identifying old multitool/knife
on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:43 PM
I just found this knife in my house. I do remember snatching it from my uncle when I was little and hiding it so they wouldn't know I'm playing with knives (glad that changed so much  ;) ).
I completely forgot about it and just found it 20 years later, hidden in an old pot with some rags.

It's some sort of hunting knife with removable tools: a knife, a file/screwdriver/ bottle opener, a corkscrew, an awe with hole, a can opener, an arrow-thingie with a peg on the back and a square key thingie. It has a hard leather sheath with a belt hanger and a belt for the handle. There are no markings anywhere, except for a stamped 4 on each tool.

I think it's East-European made, maybe Russian, sometime in the 1960s.

PS: I don't think it's stainless as a silver foil seems to be peeling from the file.

Does anyone know:
  • What is this kind of thing called? It's not a SAK or similar as the blades are detacheable, but it reminds me of that
  • Where and by whom it was made?
  • What do the last two tools do?
  • Do you think it is worth anything?
  • What is the best way to treat it for the bits of rust inside and the yellowing of the file?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Identifying old multitool/knife
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:44:23 PM
I've never seen a fixed blade variation of this tool, just the folding variations. :think:

Does the tang, baser of the knife blade have any markings on it? That might be a clue.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:27:18 PM
Glad it's something interesting  :D

But no, no markings, only the number 4, as it says on all the tools. I'm thinking it's the model.. or size...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:04 AM
Nice! I've seen numerous exchange-blade-knives, but never one like that. Usually they are based on a smaller pocketknife size handle, often about 3 inches (75mm) long or so, and have tools like those six on the right in your first photo. Here is a typical pocket knife kit made in Solingen Germany. Some of the tools are very similar to yours.

Less common are the large handled knives with interchangeable blades. They usually come with a large hunting knife blade, and a hatchet. Here is one made by Kabar:

And another made by Case. It also includes a horse hoof trimmer blade.

But, yours is unusual in that it has a large handle, a large knife blade, and a set of tools normally seen with the smaller size handles. :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ru Offline livan

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
knife Kalashnikov

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:53:59 PM
I like that one a lot Livan! :tu:

Is it yours? What keeps the big knife blade locked in place?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:02:06 PM
Very unusual to see a fixed blade knife with replaceable blades.I think the tool on the furthest right may be to remove choke tubes from a shotgun;the end looks to be some type of pin spanner.The arrow shaped tool remains a mystery but it looks like some sort of reaming tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%