Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favourite utility knife

es Offline Sparkydave

Favourite utility knife
on: January 14, 2014, 03:20:29 AM
Hi all was wondering if anyone carries a utility knife? I have a Irwin one that lives in my bag but finds it's way into my pocket quite a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Favourite utility knife
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:26 AM
I carry a little Gerber eab in my gear every day I go to work.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Industrial/Knives/EAB-Lite-Knife_31-000345

I've owned both styles. I don't care for Gerber but the eab 1\2 they did right.
Defend the Hive!!!

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:21 PM
A guy at work uses one of those I think? He has a sog power lock I think it is too. I like the Irwin's cause they have a pocket clip and quick release blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:38 PM
I do not carry it but use a LIDLs utility, folding/locking knife a lot as my hard use cutter.

It came with 10 spare blades and  so far I have only used 1. It still outcuts everything else.

I also have the 2 blade version:

and a thread that may be of interest:
http://forum.multitool.org/edged-tools/a-few-more-utility-knives/msg556107/#msg556107
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:53:59 PM
I do not carry it but use a LIDLs utility, folding/locking knife a lot as my hard use cutter.

It came with 10 spare blades and  so far I have only used 1. It still outcuts everything else.
(Image removed from quote.)

Got one like that, too. Pocket clip, quick release, makes for quite a good package for really cheap. Mine was "home brand" of the big box store I got it from.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:38:16 PM

I have numerous utility knives stashed around the garage, home and car. I carry a small Craftsman utility knife in my jacket pocket. The one I tend to use the most in the garage is a cheapo fixed blade utility knife I bought from Lowes a few years ago. Its the perfect cut anything knife.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:53 PM
I like the Gerber EAB. Very slim and doesn't weigh much but reliable and has a solid pocketclip (can be taken off too). The Lite version of it I never liked that much for some reason. :shrug:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

Got one like that, too. Pocket clip, quick release, makes for quite a good package for really cheap. Mine was "home brand" of the big box store I got it from.

I have this too. Good lock on the blade. Bought from Lidl also.
I have one called Superknife, rumour tells that it could be Gerbers. Blades lock sucks on that. Nearly lost my fingers many times.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:21:23 PM
I must have had this for at least a decade.  When I worked in retail it was in constant use.  It must have opened thousands of boxes.  It doesn't get so much use nowadays, but there are still definitely times when you need to use a disposable blade.  I don't know whether  you can tell from the photo but the blade is made up of many segments that you can snap off as it becomes blunt, thus revealing a new sharp portion of the blade.  It's a clever design, but of course you can't use standard blades in it.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
Ive used a few of the same type Husky utility folder since the early 2000's. A lot like the black Husky in the pictures. Except instead of the push button release there used to be a tiny tab you could lift up on the side of the spine to access the utility blade.  A better safer option with the tab. The push button is a pain. always had to be gentle with it. A tough task would unlock the blade and stay in what you were cutting. Always cleaning the mystery innards of the blade lock with WD40 and blasts from the air hose. If not it wouldn't  lock the utility blade in at all. Quick release on the Husky sucks. So bad the company put a picture diagram on there.

I had all the colors in the line up for that knife. It was a true favorite. All that's left in the black Husky with the dumb blade release. Jobsite theft, NYANG deployment, running in the woods with the dog and the bad pocket clip accounts for them all being gone. :cry:  Sheffield put out the same utility knife with the flip up tab on the spine. Both brands were easy on the wallet as well.

Ever since I bought the ST300 the use of utility blades tapered off to pretty much nothing now. A few exceptions have come into play. There is the cool little Gerber EAB lite that has seen some pocket time. Slim and lite with a big clip and liner lock in a small package. Its a neat little folder. A small thumb stud or even an oversized nail nick would have been nice on there for OHO.

That big red Husky is just plain dumb. Its retractable, open or closed its locks are very weak. The pocket clip is set tip down. :o So be careful cause it will slide open in pocket. Its quick release is a roller type lock, release. Never used it enough to gunk in up and have troubles with it. I don't trust that knife. It was a gift. Before it was gifted I looked it over at Home Depot and chuckled at it. My brother saw me looking it over and figured it would be a nice gift. None the less grateful for the gesture. For its size and weight there should be a full size blade in there.

The new Favorite is the no name plain Jane hardware store checkout counter knife. Next to the grenade lighters and key chain pistol laser pointers. Cheapo to the max with great functionality. Liner locks, good clip, lite, good ergo's, thumb pad for deployment and blade extraction. It's best feature for me are the torx screws. Surprising to see on a el cheapo utility folder. There is even a torx at the pivot for the utility blade lock, release. Good to know its there for deep cleaning it will never see. Its never used. All the other SAK's, LM's and so on see all the dirty stuff. 

I pictured some pretty good utility blades. Irwin titanium coated and I think Kolbalt titanium coated utility blades. They are 5 or 6 years old now and worked great at the time. They spent a lot of time stripping copper cable setting up for pulls. They held up well for the task.
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 158.68 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 200.62 KB)
5.jpg
* 5.jpg (Filesize: 230.08 KB)
4.jpg
* 4.jpg (Filesize: 230.7 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:07 AM
I have a soft spot for utility knives.

Here are two of my favorites.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:16 PM

I also have the 2 blade version:

I have this rude knife and many cheap plastic ones but I rarely use them now that I try to exploit contingencies for using one of the many blades MTO pressed me to buy! I mainly use my Opinel but also whatever I have at hand.
I keep the Lidl one for possible hard work that would destroy the other blades.

and a thread that may be of interest:
http://forum.multitool.org/edged-tools/a-few-more-utility-knives/msg556107/#msg556107

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:43 PM
Ive been carrying my iriwin at work when i have my crunch with me. Makes it a lot easier for cutting tasks, plus i can't sharpen a serrated blade yet

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:35:39 PM
I have a folding craftsman utility knife the I keep a hook blade in. Great for ripping zip ties. Id take pics, but its in my work truck and I'm off today. Love that little thing.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 03:13:26 AM

I really like that Milwaukee!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 04:09:03 AM
I carry the newer version of the Milwaukee , with an on board spare blade . I also uses Olfa's of various sizes . On general utility knives , I use either Lee Valley serrated blades , or Lennox bimetal blades .

Chris

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 02:46:46 PM
Love my Kobalt.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:51:22 AM
Neither of them are true utility knives, but I use my Byrd Wings, and the blade on my Skele-CX every day in the bike shop.  Sometimes, the boxes the new bikes come in can be stubborn to open, and the sales system requires the serial code for the bike which is printed on the end of the box, so I do a fair amount of cardboard cutting, and the serrated blade of the Wings just eats cardboard.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:59:53 AM

I'm going to try a Milwaukee.

I've seen them for sale locally.

thanks Chako

nice pics.

Defend the Hive!!!

Offline Philthy

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:23 PM
The push button lock Milwaukee are really good.  My favorite.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%