Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What could Victorinox add as a new SAK tool?

Syph007 · 134 · 15633

hr Offline splico

• Explorer

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: What could Victorinox add as a new SAK tool?
Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 11:33:28 AM
A kiridashi or straight scalpel style blade. Would be tricky to incorporate in a folder with the right angles and make it look good, but it would be quite useful.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
@1/4" BIT DRIVER
First off, Victorinox cannot have an adapter for LM-bits unless they buy LM (cooperate with LM, buy the licence) :P
And yes at first I was also compelled by that idea.
A full sized Bit-Holder would make up a very fat layer. I also think what makes the 4mm CyberTool great is the capability to store 3 more bits. with the larger 1/4" bits there would be little to no room and therefore diminish the value of a bit holder. I think the 4mm CyberTool Bit-Driver is actually the right size for a SAK. Considering that you can buy the SwissTool Bit-Kits separately I think SAKs don't need a 1/4" bit holder.
However, if you have a SAK as a companion to a LM tool, it would of course be great to have the LM bit-holder just so the tools complement each other.

Ferro rod
This is rather a consumable and would IMO make more sense to be incorporated into the sheath.

Blade Exchanger (Metal Saw / File)
Love the idea though size probably would dictate that this is more for the 111mm not for 91mm. I rather see an adapter for small utility blade.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:53 PM
@1/4" BIT DRIVER
First off, Victorinox cannot have an adapter for LM-bits unless they buy LM (cooperate with LM, buy the licence) :P
A full sized Bit-Holder would make up a very fat layer. I also think what makes the 4mm CyberTool great is the capability to store 3 more bits. with the larger 1/4" bits there would be little to no room and therefore diminish the value of a bit holder. I think the 4mm CyberTool Bit-Driver is actually the right size for a SAK. Considering that you can buy the SwissTool Bit-Kits separately I think SAKs don't need a 1/4" bit holder.
However, if you have a SAK as a companion to a LM tool, it would of course be great to have the LM bit-holder just so the tools complement each other.

Well Wenger already did that with the Pocketgrip and I don't see why they can integrate those into the current Vic offerings now. ;)

Hope kniv-per doesn't mind me using his pics. :P

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 01:28:25 PM
I do like the 4mm bit driver and I think it's design was the right choice for those SAKs, it's a fabulous tool.  Now why they cannot make more bits available as an add on set makes no sense to me. They are not taking full advantage of this driver.  They should have a full kit that one could carry or just use to select the bits they needed in the tool. Maybe they plan to, but it's taking too long.

Maybe we need to manufacture our own bits?  Not sure why Felinevet never carried the extra bits, I know they were quite expensive to import from the tool makers, and I don't think Vic offered the few extra bits they had as separate items.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 01:37:41 PM
I do like the 4mm bit driver and I think it's design was the right choice for those SAKs, it's a fabulous tool.  Now why they cannot make more bits available as an add on set makes no sense to me. They are not taking full advantage of this driver.  They should have a full kit that one could carry or just use to select the bits they needed in the tool. Maybe they plan to, but it's taking too long.

Maybe we need to manufacture our own bits?  Not sure why Felinevet never carried the extra bits, I know they were quite expensive to import from the tool makers, and I don't think Vic offered the few extra bits they had as separate items.

I think he had them at some point. :think:

The extra bits are easily available in Europe. My local distributor has them all for a bit under $4 (23,00 kn).

Quote from: from the catalog
A.7680.14 Bit 20-21 to CyberTool 23,00 kn
A.7680.20 Bit 17-18 to CyberTool 23,00 kn
A.7680.34 Bit TX6/TX8 to CyberTool 23,00 kn
A.7680.35 Bit TX10/TX15 to CyberTool special 23,00 kn
A.7680.60 Bit to CyberTool, 1,2 mm / 1,5 mm 23,00 kn
A.7680.62 Bit to CyberTool, 2,0 mm / 2,5 mm 23,00 kn
A.7680.64 Bit 22-23 to CyberTool 23,00 kn

The regular 4mm bits that are widely available lack the ball baring to keep them in place and I've yet to find a manufacturer that makes those. A few members here have modified theirs with a bit of shrink tube though and say it works.

Offline TECENG

Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 02:44:00 PM
A pair of split ring pliers.

As many times as I keep changing up my keychain... :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #67 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:01 PM

The extra bits are easily available in Europe. My local distributor has them all for a bit under $4 (23,00 kn).

The regular 4mm bits that are widely available lack the ball baring to keep them in place and I've yet to find a manufacturer that makes those. A few members here have modified theirs with a bit of shrink tube though and say it works.

I cant remember who, but didnt someone here put a small magnet in their driver to use any type of bit.  I think thats the solution.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline crackout

Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
* nailfile for the 91mm range
* small serrated blade or a second full size serrated blade
* an SOS battery pack layer that can store at least 1000mAh
* a removable sharpening steel
* a magnet

Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:58 PM
* nailfile for the 91mm range
* small serrated blade or a second full size serrated blade
* an SOS battery pack layer that can store at least 1000mAh
* a removable sharpening steel
* a magnet

That one makes alot of sense since most saks have 2 blades, a small serrated blade is handy for those times you need to rip though something.  Ive serrated a couple small blades on request and they were quite effective.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 03:35:05 PM
That one makes alot of sense since most saks have 2 blades, a small serrated blade is handy for those times you need to rip though something.  Ive serrated a couple small blades on request and they were quite effective.

How diffficult is this job? Any pic on forum?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 03:40:38 PM

How diffficult is this job? Any pic on forum?

Very easy, just a dremel and a steady hand.  Not factory perfect, but very functional when I tested ripping through cardboard and various packaging.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 03:43:46 PM
Great blade Syph.  :tu:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 03:45:08 PM
What can't you do Syph007...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:14 PM

Understand women!  :rofl:

hr Offline splico

• Explorer

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 20, 2014, 03:57:26 PM

Understand women!  :rofl:

Not all women are created equal :) some are actually pretty straight forward. None of this hidden messages crap lol.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

I cant remember who, but didnt someone here put a small magnet in their driver to use any type of bit.  I think thats the solution.
kkokkolis

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:57 PM
@1/4" BIT DRIVER

Well Wenger already did that with the Pocketgrip and I don't see why they can integrate those into the current Vic offerings now. ;)

Hope kniv-per doesn't mind me using his pics. :P
(Image removed from quote.)
Well, that is a gigantic over-sized layer, defying what is best about SAKs, their compact frame. And its not actually smaller than the separate bit-kit. I think the pocket-grip is a typical Wenger. Its kinda nice, kinda cool, kinda interesting idea but I wouldn't want it :rofl:.
That said, there is obviously demand and that's probably more important than my opinion :P

P.S.: If they want to do anything new bit-holder related, maybe they could make a small lid on that bit-kit, so the bits don't poke out :whistle:
Bits.jpg
* Bits.jpg (Filesize: 71.94 KB)

us Offline burnside

Reply #79 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:33 PM
A grappling hook.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:31 PM
Hey I like those MySwitzerland scales :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 07:00:02 PM
Something else i would like to see again would be analog clocks in the scales again. A compass in the scales would be nice. not sure if it would work. More types of knife blades also. 
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:10 PM
I think the first order of business should be the 1/4" bit driver.  This would seem to offer the biggest bang for the buck.   

Totally, I just saw a mod done by a EDCF member, Randyc74, and quoting his picture:

(^If someone know how this is done, I love to make one for my spirit)

Also, on the same note, I sincerely hope someone brings this back!  :pok:

Leatherman universal tool adapter:

Anyway, I do agree it will be nice to have ferro rod incorporated into at least the SOS kit, if not, as an option to the side pocket loop.

+2 on Pez dispenser!  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:34 PM
Of course it was done here first. :P

JB Weld in the adapter. I'll try to find thr thread.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:20 PM
Of course it was done here first. :P

JB Weld in the adapter. I'll try to find thr thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20136.msg379857.html#msg379857

Ahhh!  Thank you, Nikola.  Never disappoint!  :cheers: :tu:

I think my 91mm should be set, I just have to think how the Spirit phillips will work with this method since it has a large head but slimmer body.  :)

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #86 on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:26 AM

Ferro rod
This is rather a consumable and would IMO make more sense to be incorporated into the sheath.

I was thinking along the lines of the Exotac system since it is both sealed and replaceable.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:02 AM

Ferro rod

I was thinking along the lines of the Exotac system since it is both sealed and replaceable.

First let me clarify: I Me Personally wouldn't want a Ferro Rod in a SAK, that doesn't mean you shouldn't want it :). The same is of course true fore everything else I write below.*

The problem is and that is my personal opinion, the guys at Victorinox do not put that much thought into their tool combos**.

This is what you will end up :P
SAK 1: Wood saw, blade, small blade, can opener, cap lifter, ferro rod
But you also wanted a metal file/saw and Scissors
SAK 2: Metal saw, blade, small blade, cap lifter, bottle opener, scissors (Mountaineer)
Wait you still don't have a gutting blade, so lets get one of the 111mm hunter series...
OK, of course this is ridiculous, but you get my point. This is why I prefer to have such highly specific implements separate so they can be combine them with any SAK.

* Its also a question of cell phone reception. Switzerland is tiny, you have almost everywhere cell reception, so in order to survive all you need is a cell. If you really want to be prepared you don't need a tool but you bring your REGA (REttungs GEsellschaft - Rescue Society) membership card :D. Just in case you don't have a REGA SAK yet.
** Just to make my point: the CyberTool 41 is the only CT with metal file (something I sometimes use to deal with rough edges on computer cases or to take care of my nails, after all, we IT guys work in an office environment) it also has a wooden saw ??? (its a long time since they used wood in anything computer related, well maybe the desk, I could saw a hole in the desk, yes that would work). You also can't have it combined with an electrician blade (that would be a logical combo for me). The only reason why the cork-screw is not a complete bust is because it also holds the eye-glass screwdriver, but then that is quite the stereotype huh, IT-guy must wear glasses (ok, I admit I wear glasses, but I have never used the eye-glass screwdriver in my life).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #89 on: January 21, 2014, 03:34:50 PM

A full sized Bit-Holder would make up a very fat layer.

Ya the more Ive thought about it the only way to have a full size 1/4" bit holder is to do it as a scale cutout like the marlin spike does.  But you're right how many bits could you store, and would it be worth it to just have one on board in the driver itself.. maybe i dunno.   :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85