Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm Cellidor SAK?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
93mm Cellidor SAK?
on: January 27, 2014, 11:20:00 PM
I'm thinking out loud here. :think:

The thing that attracts me to the 93mm line are the heavier duty/more robust tools, not that much the aluminium scales, and most often than not I choose to carry the plastic scaled knife for the benefit of having the tweezers, toothpick, straight pin and sometimes pen available in favor of the bigger/stronger blade. The 111mm (and especially the 130mm) SAKs are a different category altogether. Not exactly pocket friendly, especially not in an urban environment so I find myself wishing for a 93mm SAK with the big blade, inline awl, scissors and opener layer, BUT with cellidor (or maybe nylon) scales and all the scale tools that come with it.

I don't see making something like this a big investment for Victorinox, they can just reuse the tools and liners from 93mm ALOX models and make a bit bigger molds for scales. I think the interest and return on something like that would be huge. :dd:

Am I alone on this or are there any others interested in a project like this?

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: 93mm Cellidor SAK?
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:51:13 AM
the only reason I do not have more ALOX is for that  very reason.  I like the scale tools and use them often.

I am totally on board with you idea, and would love to see some Cellidor 93mm Plus SAKS,  maybe even a few more layers than they currently have.
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:31:18 AM
Having so many lines and now the Delemont lines does seem a bit much for Vic.  Will the 93mm and 74mm lines be dropped?  I hope not, but I am prepared for either eventuality, with 20ish SI/Pioneers/Soldiers and 6 farmers/harvesters. 

I don't see 91mm going anywhere anytime fast, they are cheaper and easier to produce than the alox lines, and the more accepted standard at this point. 
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:04 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Though I would also like to see the 93mm Awl incorporated into the 91 mm line. That would be cool.
Perception is reality

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:32:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Though I would also like to see the 93mm Awl incorporated into the 91 mm line. That would be cool.

Victorinox did that on the XAVT and XXLT, it would be very nice if they added the awl to some smaller models.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:15:37 AM
A climber with an inline awl would.be rather keen for sure!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:15 AM
sounds like you are asking for a rebirth of the Wenger Professional line with Victorinoxed scales including the scale tools T,T&P.
If it wasn't rare (okay, uncommon) I'd carry my Profi more often. Mine is like a Farmer, but unfortunately lacks the Awl.  Other than that, a nice knife.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:13 PM
93 mm cellidor sak.......hellz yeah!!!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:17 PM
Even better, 93mm evo scales!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:54:39 PM
93 mm black nylon PLUS scales ftw :-)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 04:18:52 PM
Blasphemy!

My mission is to remove plastic from saks!  Once I make 91 mm alox plus sak with  brass liners ill be happy.  Oh and a metal mag glass holder and bits holder for the cybertool.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:41:36 PM
With back tools too right?

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:20 PM
sounds like you are asking for a rebirth of the Wenger Professional line with Victorinoxed scales including the scale tools T,T&P.
If it wasn't rare (okay, uncommon) I'd carry my Profi more often. Mine is like a Farmer, but unfortunately lacks the Awl.  Other than that, a nice knife.

Correct. :D

With back tools too right?

that's us mobile

That would be a nice bonus. :tu:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:44 PM
Personally I prefer my SAKs to be all metal, no plastic parts. I accept some horn and wood if done properly but best for me remains 100% metal.

I'd very much rather have alox 91 mm (T&T slots can be made into alox scales as well and they were made before) than 93 mm in plastic scales.

Wenger had the Professional series as their 93 mm "work" line and that failed and died long time ago while the alox 93 mm line from Victorinox, same as the Wenger Professional series if not in less different model variations, survived until today. The Wenger Professionals did not have T&T but were scaled in Nylon and Cellidor. They could add T&T but I imagine that was not in line with the "professional" image.

If only Victorinox would bring these babies back and make them mainstream:

Yes, I too like the stronger 93 mm blade and tools (not all are different through, the wood saws are the same ones that are on 91 mm) but I bet 99.99% of people don't care about and don't notice how thick are the main blade spine and can opener. However for the 93 mm awl, as much as I like it I personally prefer a small blade there in lieu of, 91 mm style.

:cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:22 PM
I actually dislike the 91mm awl, its position, the shape, ... The 93mm is perfect thought. :tu:

And there's the appeal/familier nature of the classic red plastic scales. Everyone assosiates SAKs with red plastic scales, not with ALOX (even red ALOX). JD even got a SI for $5 cause the seller said it was a know off as "SAKs were never made with metal scales." :doh:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:18 PM
I do not think that most people expect SAKs to be covered in soft plastic red, just to be red and with many blades ;)

Something else to consider:

The 93 mm line is the extension of the basic Soldier model and were meant for farmers and alike. Why the stronger tools and the more durable all metal scales.

If Victorinox would remake the 93 mm line in Cellidor or Nylon then most likely those won't have either back tools or T&T (same as the 111 mm Soldier and other DD scaled models do not have).

IMHO asking for 111 mm in alox would be closer to reality than asking for 93 mm in plastic with T&T >:D

And, as great that 93 mm awl is, the 91 mm awl has one advantage over it: the sewing eyelet.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:49 PM
In my 20 or so years of carrying a SAK I haven't used the sewing eyelet once. :P And I've used the awl to make sheaths and stuff. :D

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:28 PM
I used that :whistle: Something tells me that Victorinox did not add the eyelet just for one person :D

:b2t:

Personally I like the 93 mm alox not just for the tools but also for their scales and it won't be the same for me without any of these.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:27 AM
Most of the allure of the 93mm line for me is the durability of the frame and the stronger tools also.  Rather than offer them in Cellidor, I would rather just pair an ALOX SAK with a 58mm on the keychain for the T&T.  I find a Farmer + Rambler combo is really hard to beat.

With that said, still I am watching the 91mm ALOX thread very closely...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:16:35 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 03:41:21 AM
I'd rather have a locking option in the 93mm line. Especially if they are to be working knives. And I have the scar to prove why.

ca Offline ianbalgobin

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:10 PM
Blasphemy!

My mission is to remove plastic from saks!  Once I make 91 mm alox plus sak with  brass liners ill be happy.  Oh and a metal mag glass holder and bits holder for the cybertool.

If you can make an ALOX Plus Scales that will hold the Tweezers, Toothpick, Pen and Straight pin, I may have to beg you to make me a modified Cybertool 29 with Alox Plus Scales & Mag Glass!

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:13 AM
Vote for! :tu:
... back layer tools are mandatory, of course  :D

Ranger with 93 blade and awl  :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00