Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Tang Stamps

ulli · 219 · 47146

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Tang Stamps
Reply #180 on: April 12, 2020, 07:05:09 PM
So I`ve tried. I see some differences, but I dont get a plan or a clear trend. Maybe you can help. I added fotos of random vintage can openers, all between 51 and 57, with US PAT PEND stamps and some with +PAT stamps. So can you match the stamps with the can openers? Lets try

Thanks for posting the pictures elsinox! I must apologize for not seeing your post earlier. I didn’t notice it as I was drafting my response about the ‘76 essr stamp.

:facepalm:

First, grouping what I see is similar I would arrange them as:
4&6
1&5
2&3

I can’t see all the minor ground bevels in your pictures, and can’t see where all the ‘breaks’ and transitions are. And the finer details matter.

My guess is that there are two UPP stamps and that the chronological order is:

I don’t have one that is like #6. It is more of a guess that it precedes #1.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and I appreciate that you would make the test ‘blind’.  :)  :tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #181 on: April 12, 2020, 07:24:22 PM
Almost forgot...I’d also like to see more pictures of the second knife, which I suppose is a 235U.

I notice it has the thin ~0.5mm scissor liner.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #182 on: April 13, 2020, 07:34:17 AM
Whow, you`re great! Don`t really know how you make it...

I have to search the 235U, because I just took some random knives.
IMG_8034.JPG
* IMG_8034.JPG (Filesize: 121.5 KB)

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #183 on: April 13, 2020, 10:09:55 AM
 :iagree:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: April 13, 2020, 11:38:01 PM
Whow, you`re great! Don`t really know how you make it...

I have to search the 235U, because I just took some random knives.

:cheers: Thanks, and don’t worry about the 235!

I appreciate the opportunity to validate some of my methodology.  :tu:

jnoxyd- Thanks for bringing these topics to the surface again. Very interesting recent discussion and totally worth it.  :cheers:

Would be nice if some others could chime in with  (new) pictures of those early unstamped openers. Showing all the machined bevels isn’t always easy, but I think it would be valuable for those interested. It does seem possible that those blanks may all precede the UPP stamp. And for now, I will continue to assume the UPP precedes all +PAT versions.

ua Offline Old Seaman

Reply #185 on: April 29, 2020, 12:27:30 AM
Hi guys! I have a question to experts. I got a 84mm victorinox knife with a stamp on an aluminum liner. That is "R" letter.  I cant found any information about that. In my opinion probably it stamp after repair job.
IMG_20200420_162852_compress16.jpg
* IMG_20200420_162852_compress16.jpg (Filesize: 40.26 KB)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:34:26 AM by Old Seaman »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #186 on: April 29, 2020, 11:58:57 AM
Hi Old Seaman,

I've seen this same stamp on old 84 mm Golfers that I take apart for the scissors.  I always just assumed it stood for "right" and was there to assist in assembly at the factory.  Maybe someone else will know more definitively. 

Myron

ua Offline Old Seaman

Reply #187 on: May 13, 2020, 10:54:32 AM
Thank you for information. ;)

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #188 on: May 31, 2020, 08:59:52 PM
I have a question: where these stamps were used in 1884-1891? Please tell me if anyone saw the knives made by Karl Elsener before well known Soldier from 1891?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #189 on: June 01, 2020, 02:11:36 AM
You guys are amazing  :o

I am constantly blown away by the level of detail and knowledge in this thread   :tu:

And also extremely jealous of all your 'exposed rivets' SAKs

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #190 on: October 23, 2020, 11:26:10 AM
"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. "
No words "Victorinox" , "Elinox" or even "Swiss" in this stamp... What do you think?

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #191 on: October 23, 2020, 03:02:32 PM
"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. "
No words "Victorinox" , "Elinox" or even "Swiss" in this stamp... What do you think? (Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Interesting....do you think it is the stamp "R1" in ulli's stamp chart on the first page of this thread?  :think:

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

00 Offline jnoxyd

Victorinox Tang Stamps
Reply #192 on: October 23, 2020, 08:25:00 PM
Interesting....do you think it is the stamp "R1" in ulli's stamp chart on the first page of this thread?  :think:

Yes, I think it is this stamp but all these knives I've seen were from 1970s . Here's in last Ulli's chart version

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #193 on: October 23, 2020, 09:11:19 PM
Yes, I think it is this stamp but all these knives I've seen were from 1970s . Here's in last Ulli's chart version
That is perplexing.  :think:
Hope someone knows the answer to your inquiry.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: October 23, 2020, 09:16:11 PM
No words "Victorinox" , "Elinox" or even "Swiss" in this stamp... What do you think? (Image removed from quote.)

Interesting. Looks like c. ‘73 to me from what I can see. Might be able to improve on that with pics form the top and bottom, tools closed.

Machining on the saw is a bit smurfed. But that sounds about right for parts in Elinox knives.

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #195 on: October 24, 2020, 03:47:39 PM
Note that the colored details in Ulli's table suggest that this stamp can be found on the back side of blades that have either a vs3 or an els stamp on the front side. The vs3 and els stamps occur on floral knives, so I'm guessing that Ulli saw this stamp on the back side of the blades of floral knives that he believed to be pre-1970. As far as officer knives are concerned, the very few of them that I have seen with this stamp are indeed from the 1970's (probably mid-1970's), so I believe that the time range in Ull's table is a bit wrong. Usage of this stamp may have started in the late 1950's, but didn't end before the mid-1970's.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: November 02, 2020, 05:44:29 AM
c. ‘51 pre +PAT 136faU ??

Too expensive for me, but thinking it might be proof of sorts that Phillips and Scaler may have been introduced before the official ‘51 and ‘52 dates.

AS2/VSS2 (VaSS) blank/no stamp CO, older style shield, anodized liners and the ‘51+ 2.5mm pins showing.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:09:17 AM by kamakiri »

00 Offline jnoxyd

Victorinox Tang Stamps
Reply #197 on: November 02, 2020, 07:07:45 AM
c. ‘51 pre +PAT 136faU ??

Too expensive for me, but thinking it might be proof of sorts that Phillips and Scaler may have been introduced before the official ‘51 and ‘52 dates.

AS2/VSS2 (VaSS) blank/no stamp CO, older style shield, anodized liners and the ‘51+ 2.5mm pins showing.

You are right, we discussed it in Vintage group. Let's go there ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #198 on: November 02, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
You are right, we discussed it in Vintage group. Let's go there ;)(Image removed from quote.)

I know we covered a lot there...but I wanted to continue this where there was discussion on the blank CO and lack of its stamp.

Mainly, because it ‘proves’ or at least supports two theories. First, that the blank CO predates both UPP and +PAT stamps(as discussed here). And second, that the scaler may predate the Phillips...at least for 90/91mm.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #199 on: November 02, 2020, 06:37:50 PM
And separately, I have found an example of UPP that is machined like early +PAT. So there are knives that can be pegged to ‘53 production.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #200 on: November 03, 2020, 04:54:10 PM
Is this a new one? Variation of vsm1 (475/10 instead of 473/10). What do the numbers mean anyways?

It's a floral knife.
victoria-475-10-swiss-made.jpg
* victoria-475-10-swiss-made.jpg (Filesize: 54.54 KB)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #201 on: November 03, 2020, 05:09:44 PM
Is this a new one? Variation of vsm1 (475/10 instead of 473/10). What do the numbers mean anyways?

It's a floral knife.
I have a Gardener model with the same stamp. It has unusual scales made from some kind of celluloid (I suppose)
https://leaf-vics.com/2014/11/304-gardener.html

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #202 on: November 03, 2020, 05:17:23 PM
Nice SAK Alex.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #203 on: November 03, 2020, 08:25:26 PM

It's a floral knife.

AFAIK, the numbers are the blade profile name or codes. Pretty sure the 473/10 is one of the grafting profiles, maybe the one with the bark lifter in the back. Lots of them in the 47X range.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #204 on: November 03, 2020, 09:03:59 PM
Thanks!

00 Offline jnoxyd

Victorinox Tang Stamps
Reply #205 on: November 03, 2020, 09:17:25 PM

us Offline Sterg

Reply #206 on: November 15, 2020, 04:03:52 AM
I’ve been looking for this stamp and can’t find any info. I’m conserved about the lowercase letters. Was there a version with lowercase?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #207 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:50 AM
It's an early "GEBR.DÜBENDORFER" promotion knife, but I cannot comment on the tang stamp.The only image I can find of one with rivets is very small, and from a closed Bay auction, which seems to be the same reference as your image post.

(edit: I see you won this knife, congrats  :like:)

* s-l300.jpg (Filesize: 5.93 KB)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:02:13 AM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline ulli

Reply #208 on: November 15, 2020, 08:38:44 AM
I’ve been looking for this stamp and can’t find any info. I’m conserved about the lowercase letters. Was there a version with lowercase?

You mean the "Elsener Zug"? That was just a dealer, so not an official tang stamp of the company Elsener/Victorinox. It was pretty common to put the name of the dealer on the tang. Most times, there was another stamp on the backside that linked to victorinox, like an Inoxyd Crossbow stamp.

As far as I know, Elsener from the city of Zug was not a close relative to the Karl Elsener family, not like Elsener from Rapperswil who was Karls cousin.

us Offline Sterg

Reply #209 on: November 15, 2020, 01:10:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here’s the other side stamp. This one I can find on the charts.
Doing a search for GEBR.DÜBENDORFER, I find images of early trucks with the name on the side. GEBR is German for brother so it’s like trucking companies names around here. What pattern is the knife? Waiter?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:15:59 PM by Sterg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD