Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Wave vs. Old Wave

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
New Wave vs. Old Wave
on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:46 PM
I am wondering which Wave I should try and go for on Ebay   :think: a New Wave or an Old Wave any advice or opinions?

:gimme:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:53:13 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: New Wave vs. Old Wave
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:43 PM
When in doubt,,,,,,,get both :multi: :multi: :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:11:34 PM
Stupid me  ;) I have read enough post to know that  :D What was I  :think: But alas my funds can only permit one at this time  :( so which would be the better one  :pok:  :D

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20:44 PM
The big difference is in the screw drivers,if want a little more length go with the old.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36:50 PM
While the old Wave is one of my favorite of the older LMs I would go with the New Wave. Not only are both blades a little bit bigger on the New Wave. They are easier to open . Also all the inside tools lock, the pliers are stronger and the handles don't flex when driving a screw like they do on the older Wave. Smitty is right you may get a little more reach with the older Wave drivers.
"

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:16 PM
I would advise you to get the New Wave. It is a big improvement from the Old Wave. Like Prime said, the handles don't flex like the old Wave. Plus, it has bronze bushings to make the blade deployment smoother!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:54:53 PM
I was leaning toward new one but was just making sure I have read that some othe members here love there old Wave over the new one ;)

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:32:22 PM
The Old Wave scissors are VERY good though.. IMO, one of the best designs out of any MTs!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:06:18 PM
Are the scissors the same as on the pst 2 and the flair? If so they are very good and very big scissors for a mt :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:41 PM
New one for me too. Seems a lot better put together and stronger, scissors are better on the old than the new though. :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:12:34 PM
I do like a good pair of scissors, but are these scissors on the new Wave the same as on the Blast? if so they do me fine  :D

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:54 AM
I do like a good pair of scissors, but are these scissors on the new Wave the same as on the Blast? if so they do me fine  :D
Yes the scissors on the New Wave are the same as the ones on the Blast.
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:22:49 AM
I don't like the old Wave, so go for the new one.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 01:58:01 AM
Really?/! Why is that?
B

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:13:19 AM
get a new wave and an extension!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 03:19:17 AM
Well the I's have it  :D I went to Ebay, bid and actually won  :o a New Wave  :gimme: so thanks for the input guys  :salute: I'll try and post about it here when I get it  :mail:

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:29 AM
congratulations Poncho65. :multi:
"

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:46 AM
When you ask a question in these forum,you will get all kinds of inputs,but it sound like you made a good pick,CONGRAT'S,and we will be looking forward to updates on your New Wave.

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:34:05 AM
The (new) Wave is great!  The Leather case that comes with it leaves much to be desired, but the tool is just well designed.
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:23 PM
Really?/! Why is that?

To save me doing this rant again, here's my post from another thread about the old Wave;

You've got me started now.  :D

The first thing I don't like is the number of flat headed screwdrivers.  Why have 4 ???  That just seems such a waste to me which brings me on to my second issue which is that it doesn't have an awl.  I just cant understand why Leatherman would see it a better option to have 4 flat head screwdrivers over 3 with an awl. :think:

I also really don't like how much flex there is in the handles.  As I have a few other LM's, including the PST and Supertool, this was really disappointing as one thing I always liked about LM was how strong they felt.  I could cope with it if it was just noticable when using the pliers, but it is also quite noticable when using one of the screwdrivers (one of the FOUR flatheads I expect  ::)).

I don't like the liner locks either.  When I received my Wave one of the locks was broken, so it was sent off to LM to be repaired where they actually replaced both handles with new parts.  When I got it back, I tried it and noticed that the lock didn't really engage very well on one of the blades ( a common find with these and the Charge I hear) and that it failed very very easily.  This lock now engages much further but still fails very easily with just a lightish tap on the top of the blade.  This admittedly could probably be fixed by LM though.

Lastly (yes the rant is nearly over  :D) I think that my major dislike with this tool is how disappointed I am with it.  I expected so much more from it TBH as I always considered the Wave (or Charge) to be the "ultimate" multitool and I guess that by getting one and not really liking it just makes me even more sour about it.

I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 03:06:40 AM
The (new) Wave is great!  The Leather case that comes with it leaves much to be desired, but the tool is just well designed.

I think mine comes with nylon case so I'll see how it is  :D

And thanks for the rant Benner  :salute: guess I am glad I got the (new) Wave  :D hope it treats me better  ;)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 05:38:17 AM
the new wave is much firmer

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 06:30:10 PM

I think mine comes with nylon case so I'll see how it is  :D

And thanks for the rant Benner  :salute: guess I am glad I got the (new) Wave  :D hope it treats me better  ;)

If you ever need a rant, you only need to ask.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 08:59:07 PM
LOL! I also don't like the flex in the handles..
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:55 AM
Well it came in the mail today  :mail: :D and I opened it up  :D and I really like the look of it  :o .  All the blades click open with authority everything seems fine on it (Was actually worried that the " new never used " might have been like Def's "barely used" Pulse) fortunately it was as described :D .  I got the nylon sheath with it and it seems very nice as well.  Haven't had to much time to play with it so I'll let you know more about it later. :D  I might have to see if J-sews could possibly PM me a price plus shipping on some of those saw blades that he makes to fit the quick change on the waves (hint hint  :gimme: :D)  I think I did make the right choice with this Wave thanks guys for the input :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 02:19:43 AM
I just love it when everything works out okay.  :cheers:

Hehe, congrats on the successful aquisition Poncho. Saw blades are free, but you'll have to wait for the next batch as I'm fresh out. PM me with your address when you get done drooling over your new Wave... ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 02:26:38 AM
I just love it when everything works out okay.  :cheers:

Hehe, congrats on the successful aquisition Poncho. Saw blades are free, but you'll have to wait for the next batch as I'm fresh out. PM me with your address when you get done drooling over your new Wave... ;)

Really thanks I'll send it asap. ;) Thanks a bunch. :D  I believe this MT will be my edc, maybe period especially when the new wears off.  :D Until then my Blast is gonna get all of the grunt work  :D Still haven't modded it yet but I may still someday, just probably won't be as soon :P :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:51:00 AM
I believe I understand a little better about the one handed blades  :think: they are a lot more convenient and the outside opening tools are a big plus as well.  This has opened my eyes to alot of things. :o All my other MTs were very similar and I didn't have anything else to compare them to . Glad I got this one it is in ways the same but in other aspects completely different :D

Offline raptor

Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 04:21:02 AM
new wave is better beacuse it has a good locking mechanism.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 04:34:15 AM
new wave is better beacuse it has a good locking mechanism.

Yeah I like the new locks on the Wave  :multi: it is a very simple but very effective locking system :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%