Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Wave vs. Old Wave

Offline raptor

Re: New Wave vs. Old Wave
Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 04:41:05 AM
why not just buy a TI,not more expensive than wave. :multi:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 03:59:43 AM
why not just buy a TI,not more expensive than wave. :multi:

I didn't give anywhere near the price of a Charge for my Wave plus the Charge ever how nice it is, it is just a little out of my price range (at least that's what my wife says)  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 03:01:55 AM
Well it's been about a month and a half now and I still love my New Wave I have been carrying just about everywhere except for work (still has that new car smell :) ) I like everything about it the OHO blades, the bit driver (I got a bit kit to go with it :) ) and the nylon sheath it can carry a whole lot of stuff,  I have even had my Super Tinker in there with it :o it fit rather nice so I may continue to carry it like that :D All in all a great purchase I also bought the removable clip and lanyard ring for some extra versatility :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 11:45:15 AM
Really?/! Why is that?

To save me doing this rant again, here's my post from another thread about the old Wave;

You've got me started now.  :D

The first thing I don't like is the number of flat headed screwdrivers.  Why have 4 ???  That just seems such a waste to me which brings me on to my second issue which is that it doesn't have an awl.  I just cant understand why Leatherman would see it a better option to have 4 flat head screwdrivers over 3 with an awl. :think:

I also really don't like how much flex there is in the handles.  As I have a few other LM's, including the PST and Supertool, this was really disappointing as one thing I always liked about LM was how strong they felt.  I could cope with it if it was just noticable when using the pliers, but it is also quite noticable when using one of the screwdrivers (one of the FOUR flatheads I expect  ::)).

another mans garbage is another mans treasure :D

well i have it now and i really like it,although it aint like SURGE!!! in toughness,but it beats the fuse 6-0 with bigger set of tools ad easy of opening the blades.and i dont wear belt with sheath 24-7 and this wave goes much more easier in pocket than surge,due to its weigt and size.
I don't like the liner locks either.  When I received my Wave one of the locks was broken, so it was sent off to LM to be repaired where they actually replaced both handles with new parts.  When I got it back, I tried it and noticed that the lock didn't really engage very well on one of the blades ( a common find with these and the Charge I hear) and that it failed very very easily.  This lock now engages much further but still fails very easily with just a lightish tap on the top of the blade.  This admittedly could probably be fixed by LM though.

Lastly (yes the rant is nearly over  :D) I think that my major dislike with this tool is how disappointed I am with it.  I expected so much more from it TBH as I always considered the Wave (or Charge) to be the "ultimate" multitool and I guess that by getting one and not really liking it just makes me even more sour about it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:53 AM
Well even against Benner's better judgement I got an old Wave :cheers: :D It was a very good price the price at the pawn shop was 19.99 US :o but as I was looking at it the guy said they were having a sale on there tools :) and since it was a tool I could have it 4 10 bucks plus tax :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Needless to say I about torn the mans arm off for that deal :D I am very pleased with it and other than a small bit of rust and a couple of dull blades it looks new :tu: owe and what does a date mean if it had a b with it :think: both handles have 0502B

Agsin very happy about my deal :cheers:

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 04:47:09 AM
I was going to suggest you acquire an Old Wave to compare it to a New Wave.

A while back I upgraded my EDC from the Old Wave to the New.  I remember thinking that Leatherman had addressed all the issues I had with the tool.  Excellent tool the New Wave.

:)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:34 PM
Well even against Benner's better judgement I got an old Wave :cheers: :D It was a very good price the price at the pawn shop was 19.99 US :o but as I was looking at it the guy said they were having a sale on there tools :) and since it was a tool I could have it 4 10 bucks plus tax :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Needless to say I about torn the mans arm off for that deal :D I am very pleased with it and other than a small bit of rust and a couple of dull blades it looks new :tu: owe and what does a date mean if it had a b with it :think: both handles have 0502B

Have fun with your bendy tool.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 02:58:06 PM

Have fun with your bendy tool.  :D

:D :tu: Will do Boss :salute: :D

Offline ratslash7

Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 03:04:07 PM
I'm a little late on this one but here's my take...

...The good things about the old Wave in my opinion are-
- Dedicated long reach phillips
- Killer pouch

The new Wave wins in all other categories. You made a good choice....buying both. They're both great tools.

Dave
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 03:26:58 AM
I'm a little late on this one but here's my take...

...The good things about the old Wave in my opinion are-
- Dedicated long reach phillips
- Killer pouch

The new Wave wins in all other categories. You made a good choice....buying both. They're both great tools.

Dave

I believe that each are good tools in there own right as well :tu: I haven't really had the pleasure of carrying the old Wave yet ::) but when I do I am sure it will do just fine as an EDC :tu:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 10:44:44 AM
The old Wave is a great mt. It's simmer and lighter than the new one and the dedicated drivers are a plus in my book. Its only "defficiency" is that although the tools don't lock open, the blades do. If only it were the other way round... ::)

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 01:17:56 PM
The old Wave is a great mt. It's simmer and lighter than the new one and the dedicated drivers are a plus in my book. Its only "defficiency" is that although the tools don't lock open, the blades do. If only it were the other way round... ::)

I'm a fan of the original Wave too mate, something about it just appeals to me  :tu:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD