Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Victorinox Delemont Collection (Wenger)

felinevet · 151 · 36665

Offline marduk

Re: New Victorinox Delemont Collection (Wenger)
Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 03:45:26 PM
Vic omitted not only the Giant, but also the mini-Giants: RangerGrip 88 (Rescue I) & 95 (Rescue II). These have (had?) the basic tools most used in one package: a good set of pliers, wood saw, metal file/saw, flat head screwdrivers, awl, & Phillips.
They also dropped the 90 (Handyman), a somewhat more compact version of the Rescues.
O how the mighty have fallen!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:11 PM
Many thanks Tim !

I still do not understand why they could not have produced these exact models (with the changes) with the Wenger branding, sold through the Victorinox sales network.  ???
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 04:04:31 PM
I do have a Wenger 2013 catalog from Switzerland and it does still have the Classic line, although obviously the Evo scales are more prevelent.  I have not scanned it because it is in prestine condition. I've not even really looked at it in any detail because the information was available for the most part on-line.  I don't want to crease the binding I want to keep it as new as possible right now, and there is not a shortage of information on recent models.  I'm hoping to find another copy so I can scan it and preserve it as it is historically significant in the SAK world. I hope I can find one.

I suspect the Classic scales have not been manufactured for a while, but I think Wenger was probably making new knives with them as demand required using their inventory of scales.  So technically the models were still in production.  Most retailers though did migrate to the Evo Scales where the models were more plentiful, colorful, and as a differentiator in the market.  This is why the Classic models did not appear especially in North America.  It is very likely that the Classic line had not been imported into North America for a while except on 65mm. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:22:54 PM by ICanFixThat »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:47 PM
Am I the only one who likes the contoured scales?  Most people like the classic?

One thing I do not like is the contoured scales with the rubber inserts.  Looks like all the rangers have those too...  Oh well as long as they are still making them I can still make alox scales for them anyhow.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 04:30:42 PM
Am I the only one who likes the contoured scales?  Most people like the classic?

One thing I do not like is the contoured scales with the rubber inserts.  Looks like all the rangers have those too...  Oh well as long as they are still making them I can still make alox scales for them anyhow.
For me it really depends on the model whether I think the evo-scales work for me.  I really like the EvoWood scales, sort of the best of both worlds, slim but contoured.  I also really like EvoGrip scales, but I'm not confident the rubber inserts will hold up.  If Vic continues to make these I may use my EvoGrips more as I know I'll be able to get replacement scales.

I think the Evo scales suit the large Ranger series, but if you've used the original rangers, especially those with 3 layers or less, you will see the original scales were quite well suited to these knives I think. Now on a Ranger 95 I think the EvoGrip Scales are the perfect match.  I've come to appreciate the Evo on the Ranger 50, they work very well.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 04:35:18 PM
Thanks for sharing  :tu:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 04:42:29 PM
Vic omitted not only the Giant, but also the mini-Giants: RangerGrip 88 (Rescue I) & 95 (Rescue II). These have (had?) the basic tools most used in one package: a good set of pliers, wood saw, metal file/saw, flat head screwdrivers, awl, & Phillips.
They also dropped the 90 (Handyman), a somewhat more compact version of the Rescues.

Too bad to hear that

I like that Rescue couple 88 & 95 too  :drool:

us Offline Donald

Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 04:54:17 PM
Tim, Thanks for the 2014 catalog scans.  :) I'm surprised they do not put it on-line and save us all the trouble.

I'm particularly glad to see two knives remain the Clipper (now the Clip) and the S17. With respect to to the 0.6463.US2 NAIL CLIP 580 [65MM) I see in the celidor scaled version that the photo shows the classic scales modified for the Victorinox implements whereas the line drawings show the evolution scales. Unfortunately, I do not see the airline friendly version with screwdriver instead of blade. That is also useful for other areas where there might be checkpoints although I do not know how it would do for courts, amusement parks, and sporting events. I did travel with one. Questions one way, no comment the other.

I am particularly looking forward to the 2.3913.SEUS2 EVOLUTION S17 [85MM]. As the successor to my first SAK, a 1 17 01 Wenger, it has always been a favorite. I could argue either way on the small blade/fingernail file but the latter is useful and the 85mm blade is smaller to begin with. Although as a can opener I do not have a strong preference, and the Wenger style sharp point can opener can have alternated uses, I do prefer the Victorinox style for the added utility with Philips screws. Similarly although the Wenger style reamer does have some uses (and might have more with squared edges versus polished), I far prefer the Victorinox style reamer/awl. It is a great size for a travel knife, checked if by air, and I think it will have added utility with the revised implements. I plan on buying it.
...now if they come out with a Huntsman with locking blade and locking screwdriver/cap lifter, I'll need that too.  :D
 :gimme:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 05:02:36 PM

Well, I like all of them, each on its own way ...  :whistle:  :D
w.JPG
* w.JPG (Filesize: 99.82 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 05:37:40 PM

Too bad to hear that (Image removed from quote.)

86, 88 and 95 were never production models. THey were limited editions made for the Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Service (88 and 95) and a Russian forum forum.Guns.ru (86 EastRanger) all in limited series of 500. MTO was contacted by the Russians for the EastRanger also.

Here's the thread on it. --> Wenger East Ranger Project: Poll!!!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 06:29:43 PM
It will be interesting to see if the 2014 Catalog for Switzerland or other major markets have models that are different than those for North America.

I'm liking the Evo 28, S101, EvoGrip S101.  I'm very surprised that I don't see a Ranger 50 model, I would have bet money that they would offer that one.  I'm sad that there are no rangers with Metal Files/Saws. 

I'm pretty sure we can expect some special editions in the future, and maybe just a little cross border shopping like for the Evo14 Pear Wood.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 07:02:45 PM

86, 88 and 95 were never production models. THey were limited editions made for the Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Service (88 and 95) and a Russian forum forum.Guns.ru (86 EastRanger) all in limited series of 500. MTO was contacted by the Russians for the EastRanger also.

I'm somehow acknowledged with that  :salute:
but I've seen them in the Czech R. and its surroundings in the past,
and I was let's say close to start "purchase project",
when arose some housekeeping issues, comp issues ...  :rant:  :ahhh
Anyway, no panic here, it's still on the wish list,
and sooner or later ... will come a time when  :mail:  :D

gb Offline Ross

Reply #72 on: February 06, 2014, 02:46:02 PM
Sweet Tim, thanks for posting this up.

OK So I don't know to much about Wenger knifes apart from the early history - I made a decison when I first started that Vic's were the knifes for me and that I would only collect them. Not because I didn't like the Wenger knifes, it was more that there are a tone I want to get on the Vic side of things, and do I really want to collections?

Plus if I started looking to in-depth at the Wenger knifes I knew I would want them all ........

I am now SCREWED - I want them all  :face palm: - Also gutted I did not look at Wenger knifes sooner!!!!! -

First on my list is an Nail Clip wood  :drool:.

il Offline Shalom

Reply #73 on: February 06, 2014, 04:44:55 PM
I see Vic can opener and awl and the rest are Wenger's. Very rational!
I remember that some said the Wenger corkscrew was more prone to bend out of shape than the Vic corkscrew.
Can anyone tell what corkscrew is being used in the Delemont Line ?
Anyone feel that the Wenger corkscrew really is "softer" ?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #74 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:47 PM
I remember that some said the Wenger corkscrew was more prone to bend out of shape than the Vic corkscrew.
Can anyone tell what corkscrew is being used in the Delemont Line ?
Anyone feel that the Wenger corkscrew really is "softer" ?

I used a Wenger corkscrew extensively and never bent one.

Offline marduk

Reply #75 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:46 PM

I suspect that the 88, 95, & the 86 may very well have been production models. I believe more than just 500 were issued. All 3 were produced both with & w/o special markings. The 88 & 95 are still advertised at the Wenger shop in Bulgaria as is the East Ranger w/o printing on the blade.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:05 PM

Sad to see no setup of two blade, scissors and cap lifter/large screw driver, can opener/small screw driver.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:41 PM

I suspect that the 88, 95, & the 86 may very well have been production models. I believe more than just 500 were issued. All 3 were produced both with & w/o special markings. The 88 & 95 are still advertised at the Wenger shop in Bulgaria as is the East Ranger w/o printing on the blade.

With the word "production model" I personally refer to a knife which was listed in an official catalog, was available to more than a couple of countries and not limited in numbers.
As far as I know the RangerGrip 88 (and later 95) was developed by the company 10x Ltd., which was the official importer of Wenger for Bulgaria, in collaboration with the Mountain Rescue Service (MRS).
Even if the knives were available for purchase in few more countries, I don't think they could be considered as "production models", for the simple reason that it was not possible to buy them from outside those contries or order them directly from Wenger.
The RangerGrip 86 (not East Ranger) was produced by request of 10x Ltd jointly with the official importer of Wenger for the Czech Republic.
The 500 units of the RangerGrip 86 was confirmed me directly by a 10xLtd representative.
As for the knives still be advertised on the wenger.bg website, keep in mind that these are very expensive knives, expecially for those from the eastern Europe and I suspect the sales were never so high.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #78 on: February 07, 2014, 01:56:02 AM
Can anyone make out the tang stamp? Looks like Victorinox Delemont, but just vaguely.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #79 on: February 07, 2014, 02:24:37 AM
Delemont?  why not Wengernox, or Victoriwenger,

why not keep the Wenger name? 

from Wikipedia  "Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand;"

it seemed to work for Volkswagen just fine

could you imagine of they stuck a

on the following?

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 07, 2014, 03:29:46 AM
VICTORINOX - SWISS MADE - DELEMONT

Can anyone make out the tang stamp? Looks like Victorinox Delemont, but just vaguely.
T

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #81 on: February 07, 2014, 03:40:24 AM
Thanks T, my screen resolution is almost as bad as my aged eyeballs.  :cheers:

I've always thought of Vic as the Cadillac of pocket knives Detron!  :tu:

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #82 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:55 PM
Just had a PM from Tim, "Nothing new in the 84s but all the regular ones still there" so I think the cadets aren't going anywhere soon. 

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #83 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:49 PM
Anything new with the swisstools?

Like a few peps here, I am sad to see so few small blade models.  I think the nail file on my key-chained rambler works much better then the cadet/wenger 84/85mm ones and the people friendly small blade is great for detailed cutting.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #84 on: February 08, 2014, 05:16:11 PM
No idea, I didn't ask sorry

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: February 08, 2014, 05:40:18 PM
I'm glad to see the 557 is still alive.

I think I'll be getting a rangergrip 79 now that the rangergrips have a proper Vic can opener. :tu:

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #86 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:19 AM
Nope, same Swiss Tool and Spirit Line-ups.
Anything new with the swisstools?

Like a few peps here, I am sad to see so few small blade models.  I think the nail file on my key-chained rambler works much better then the cadet/wenger 84/85mm ones and the people friendly small blade is great for detailed cutting.
T

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 04:12:30 AM
Personally I much prefer the 84mm nail file to both the 58 and 85mm versions. 
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #88 on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:13 AM

I much prefer the vic can opener to the wenger, after several years of it being the only can opener I use and comparing the Ranger with the Trekker/Soldier. Vic wins, something about the length of the shank I think and rigidity that aids in quicker use, Also a actual blade helps over the piercing the wenger relies on.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #89 on: February 11, 2014, 05:29:14 AM
I agree they killed the best of the ranger models and also that great round awl, i use it a lot on my ranger 90. Also i thought they would try to innovate a little on that line, maybe adding something new to it (besides changing the can opener).

Well at least the ranger grip scales might get easier to get now. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%