Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK being pictured as part of a crackdown

Offline cryptrick

SAK being pictured as part of a crackdown
on: May 29, 2008, 09:12:10 PM
Well today, some of you UK lot might have heard about how our government are trying to crack down on knives and are introducing a new £3m advertisement campaign to crack down on anyone carrying a knife. At work I was listening to the radio and they were nattering on about it, and as I was only half concentrating on it when I thought I heard "picture of swiss army knife in someones head". I thought, no I must have misheard that. Anyway it is true, as part of the campaign a picture is going to be released of a SAK that has been stabbed in someones head!!!

I'm not saying I think everybody should carry knives, I'm all for gangs, chavs etc not carrying knives because they don't know how to use one properly and would only use it to harm somebody, but stopping people carrying a normal SAK which gets used sometimes daily to great benefit, I personally think is daft.

I wonder what Victorinox think of that, our government brandishing a picture of a SAK in someones head, they cant like that, that ruins the whole image of a SAK, a SAK is a tool with great uses to nearly everybody, its not a mass murder item like the government are trying to claim.

Anyway, I'm not after a huge fiery debate on knives in public as this could go on until I die of old age, just wondering what your thoughts (from US, UK and anywhere really) are, on this picture.

Here it is, a little picture of it...

There is also another picture which has a small line of knives that are displayed, one being a black SAK.... they seem to be really cracking down on it now :(
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: SAK being pictured as part of a crackdown
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:44 PM
Yeah i saw that pic and was going to mention it but forgot, it's sad to see the way an innocent tool is being shown as a dangerous "weapon" :(
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:07:28 PM
 ::)  I'm sorry this is happening to you guys.

Has all of this legislation the UK has gone through against handguns and locking knives actually removed guns and knives from the hands of criminals?  Or, has it only served to remove guns and knives from the hands of law-abiding citizens?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:21:16 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
::)  I'm sorry this is happening to you guys.

Has all of this legislation the UK gone through against handguns and locking knives actually removed guns and knives from the hands of criminals?  Or, has it only served to removed guns and knives from the hands of law-abiding citizens?

I think you hit the nail on the head there, criminals are criminals thus they break the law, so what does it matter to them whether the knife they are carrying is "illegal" to edc. :(
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline nezza33

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:07 PM
To be honest i don't think this will stop me carrying.
J

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:54 PM
It is a bit of a mixed thing with me, I'm glad the goverment are finally doing something about it, (putting a few more coppers on foot patrols would be a start ::)) But on the other hand I'm sick of the constant daemonising of a simple tool >:(

It's society that's the problem, not the humble knife, parent's need to parent, and teachers need to teach, and most of all the under 21's need to have a lot more fear of the consequences of there action's, and not see it as a means of social advancement >:(

As for the Sak, well I hope Vic/Wenger sue >:D

Will I still carry a knife ???, yes, but it'll be a slippy on my person and an MT in my bag :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:00 PM
It's society that's the problem, not the humble knife, parent's need to parent, and teachers need to teach, and most of all the under 21's need to have a lot more fear of the consequences of there action's, and not see it as a means of social advancement >:(

I'd say that pretty well sums it up.
- Terry

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
Thank's mate :), My local gunshop used to have a brick in the window with a notice underneath saying something along the lines of ''the brick is a lethal weapon, can also be used to build houses''  :D

Kinda funny, but it makes you think :), I try and preach the benifits of Sak/Mt's and quite often I'm sucessful, but then I'll go to work, flip out the blade on my Farmer to open some boxes, and STILL my collegues recoil slightly when they see it ::)

It's not a battle we can win sadly, as it's just too easy a vote winner, and makes the press to much money to boot >:(

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:35 PM
I'll go to work, flip out the blade on my Farmer to open some boxes, and STILL my collegues recoil slightly when they see it
It sounds like the gov't has sucessfully mentally castrated too many of your countrymen. Sadly our country, at least in big cities, is following the same route.

Where I live sometimes you'll see guys walking thru Wal-Mart with a big fixed blade knife on them and it barely raises an eyebrow. Now that's different in the much bigger city 10 miles north of me. It's the same with guns. Missouri(except for Kansas city and St Louis) is a gun friendly state. But eventually that'll change. I just pray that when the time comes in our country that our gov't tries to take our guns that we all tell them "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!!!"
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:13 AM
Yea when big goverment pushes you, you gotta push back.  :twak:

That is something i couldn't get use to being from Texas. Everyone has a big knife and a vast gun arsenal at home. Of course in these times no one really boasts about it either. Everyone around here has plenty of beans and bullets stashed for future use.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 05:13:42 AM
So if I send the goons in your government a picture of kitchen knife in somebody's head, would that mean all you brits will then have to cook with scissors?  >:D

Maybe I'll include a picture of a scissor in somebody's arm too.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:50:20 AM
An old saying in the US is that guns or knives don't kill,people do,and it's a published fact that all the states that have allowed concealed carry, crime has gone down.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:26 PM

Where I live sometimes you'll see guys walking thru Wal-Mart with a big fixed blade knife on them and it barely raises an eyebrow.

We are fortunate, aren't we DTH?  It's like that around here, too.  I have never once seen anyone in my hometown recoil at the sight of any knife.

I should add that it is illegal in Missouri to carry a knife with a blade longer than 4" concealed, but it's not illegal to carry it in the open, unless it's in a "threating manner".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:29:53 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 05:33:08 PM
An old saying in the US is that guns or knives don't kill,people do,and it's a published fact that all the states that have allowed concealed carry, crime has gone down.

Smitty, do you know where I can find a published study of this?
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 10:39:20 PM
We are fortunate, aren't we DTH?
Yes sir we are.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Offline bobofish

Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 02:12:02 AM
There was an article a couple days ago in the Independent, that said that the majority of knives being confiscated from the wee kiddies are kitchen knives.

Later in the article it said that each one of the knives the coppers confiscated at their checkpoints was a crime averted, and a loss of life averted. Seems a bit optimistic to think that each one of the knives you seize at a checkpoint, including SAK's from tourists counts as a murder averted.

I remember thinking "Hm, how best to I sharpen my incisors so that I may in future use them to cut things?"

It will probably get so far, frankly. I've heard how some Brits are even trying to make all kitchen knives blunt pointed and plastic. Egad.

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:59 AM
Yep, it's a sad ole state of affairs alright >:(

Offline cryptrick

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So what do the UK members here carry, MT wise in your pocket, do you only carry when at work so you have an excuse or do you regularly carry tools anyway. Would you be afraid to say, carry... a Charge/Wave/Core/Skeletool etc because of the blades, or even just carrying a SAK? Soon we wont be even carrying our little Vic Classics, as they are murder weapons you know ::)
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 12:42:05 AM
Speaking professionally most of what I have recovered from the tracksuit wearing community are kitchen knives and the odd stanley knife throwen in for good measure .I f  they have a serious dust up planned they will go for swords or machetes.But this does not stop the Nanny state from demonising every self reliant person who carries a SAK to deal with day to day problems 

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:55 AM
Soon we wont be even carrying our little Vic Classics, as they are murder weapons you know
I use a Vic Classic when I hunt polar bear. No seriously, I'm not lying. Really. Scouts honor. You believe me right?

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 09:00:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys. So what do the UK members here carry, MT wise in your pocket, do you only carry when at work so you have an excuse or do you regularly carry tools anyway. Would you be afraid to say, carry... a Charge/Wave/Core/Skeletool etc because of the blades, or even just carrying a SAK? Soon we wont be even carrying our little Vic Classics, as they are murder weapons you know ::)
Well as of a couple of weeks ago I've made the decision to carry my Swisstool's or Spirit's in a rucksack and not on my person (always got the bag with me anyway!) and just have a Farmer and a 58mm in my pocket's :)

It's annoying as, I'm a cyclist I've got a good reason to carry one ::), I do carry my Charge for going out after dark if I've got my son with me ;), but the rest of the time it just stays at home.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 07:00:31 PM
The only place I carry a MT is at work but I usually have have my Vic Swisschamp on me except when going to a pub etc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:47:15 PM
Soon we wont be even carrying our little Vic Classics, as they are murder weapons you know
I use a Vic Classic when I hunt polar bear. No seriously, I'm not lying. Really. Scouts honor. You believe me right?

We always believe you mate.  ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 07:58:20 PM
Well you've got to give those wee polar bears a chance :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 08:54:40 PM
I have to admit I carry my Swisstool just about everwhere . But then I dont get out much  ;) I think nothing of it if its in my pocket in tesco's  :twak: Perhaps I should .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:10 PM
I have to admit I carry my Swisstool just about everwhere . But then I dont get out much  ;) I think nothing of it if its in my pocket in tesco's  :twak: Perhaps I should .

Dunc

I'm the same.

TBH, I only really worry about carrying locking folders.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

Dunc

I'm the same.

TBH, I only really worry about carrying locking folders.

I dont carry a locking folder anymore , only when I'm at training .

Dunc

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:52 PM
I think a Swisstool's fine, as it quite clearly is a tool, not a weapon (anyone tried to get the blade out in a hurry! :D) plus we're all old (well Dunc and I are anyway) so were unlikely to arose to much in the way of suspision :)

I choose not to carry the Swisstool on me, purely because (a) I now carry it in my EDC Rucksack and (b) coz a Farmer fit's my needs better (c) there is a fair bit of crime not to far from me, so knife paranoia is pretty rampant round these parts ::)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 01:53:27 AM
Some day the government will but a picture of a man being punched to death, and they will call for a ban on closing fist in public  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:13 AM
HAHAHAHA!  :D :D
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30