Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pretty cool Ratchet mod for LM bit holder

Aloha · 13 · 2664

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Pretty cool Ratchet mod for LM bit holder
on: February 13, 2014, 12:01:59 AM
I came across this the other day and thought it was great.  I am nearly completed with it and will report how this works. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:07:00 AM by enki_ck »
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Pretty cool Ratchet mod for LM bit holder
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:10:18 AM
Nice but a bit large.

I fixed the link so it would embed. (it has to be youtube.com, youtu.be won't work )

Also be sure to check out this thread.

Evil's Inline Ratcheting Bit Driver

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:16 AM
Nice but a bit large.

I fixed the link so it would embed. (it has to be youtube.com, youtu.be won't work )

Also be sure to check out this thread.

Evil's Inline Ratcheting Bit Driver

Thank You Enki, it is a bit large but I figured for driving screws that were longer what a sweet add on.  I'll look at the link you provided. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Royalfizbin

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:31 AM
I've owned and broken many of these ratcheting type screwdrivers and all of them had plastic parts inside that will fail with hard use.  I can tell you that the one in the video wont last long, you can see the plastic.  Try and find one with no plastic parts if you intend to do this.   Personally I think it's too big.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:45 PM
I've owned and broken many of these ratcheting type screwdrivers and all of them had plastic parts inside that will fail with hard use.  I can tell you that the one in the video wont last long, you can see the plastic.  Try and find one with no plastic parts if you intend to do this.   Personally I think it's too big.

Aye, made one and went to bear down for torque and that side is broken. Was fun while it lasted, maybe half a day. Took longer to make than it lasted.  >:(
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:26:53 PM
i think it is too big as well, taken the compactness out of having a MT.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:45 PM
Just have to cut and epoxy and we'll see.  I saw Evil's version and while ultra compact I also read it didn't work in the long run for someone.  It was a thumb drive unit that had to be ground to fit and while awesome I agree a ratcheting driver for a MT just may be asking too much. 

I had the driver and epoxy and so far time invested is 10 min.  The plastic parts from what I see are near the end ( this screws on and off ) and the reverse and forward button.  I don't know if there are internal parts that are plastic.  I'm not worried about light weight carry, have you seen my NiteIze Sheath? We'll see how it turns out and if it works for the times I intend on using it.  I know a power driver is best but what the fun in that? 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Royalfizbin

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:40 AM
If you try to torque out a rusted screw or screw into wood without pre drilling, eventually the plastic threads will fail and that top part will pop off.  I cant fault you for wanting to tinker with stuff, it's fun but I would chuck up a drill or impact driver if I needed to do some heavy duty screw driving.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:49:47 PM
If you try to torque out a rusted screw or screw into wood without pre drilling, eventually the plastic threads will fail and that top part will pop off.  I cant fault you for wanting to tinker with stuff, it's fun but I would chuck up a drill or impact driver if I needed to do some heavy duty screw driving.

I totally agree.  I was thinking more along the lines of using this for longer screw says up to inch and a half or less.  I would definitely grab a power tool for serious work.  I had the parts and for the time I spent it was fun messing with this for sure.  Its all complete except I didnt epoxy a LM bit into the drive.  I'll mess with this a bit and let you all know how it works.  Totally simple to do and took me all of 30 mins not counting the epoxy dry time.   

It's really not all that large actually.  Now mind you my work day pouch is a fatty so I've included some pictures.  I used a Deluxe tinker, Minichamp, and chapstick as models.  It weighs approx as much as the Deluxe tinker.  I know this wont replace any serious tools but fun non the less and if it works a dozen times before crapping out i say win, haha yes I'm easy to humor. 
IMG_3155.jpg
* IMG_3155.jpg (Filesize: 232.08 KB)
IMG_3158.jpg
* IMG_3158.jpg (Filesize: 42.65 KB)
IMG_3157.jpg
* IMG_3157.jpg (Filesize: 220.58 KB)
IMG_3156.jpg
* IMG_3156.jpg (Filesize: 244.92 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:40:52 PM
Today is the test drive of this mod.  I decided not to epoxy the LM bit into this as i can use a 1/4 adapter and run it with my little cheapo L wrench as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:19:41 PM
Ok this thing worked out very well, I'll use till it gives out.  It was nice to turn a screw without having to twist that sucker so many times.  Pretty neat if I do say so and while no substitute for the proper tool not bad at all.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:01 PM
very nice!  I have seen that tool kit at Walmart, but my last few visits to 3 different stores did not yield that set.  I am sure it will be there one day,  I will keep looking.  I doubt I need this, but a cool idea anyway
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:40:38 PM
very nice!  I have seen that tool kit at Walmart, but my last few visits to 3 different stores did not yield that set.  I am sure it will be there one day,  I will keep looking.  I doubt I need this, but a cool idea anyway

I had it and just happened upon the video so I figured what the heck. It works and is neat so again what the heck plus it was a fun little project.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD