Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Years in Africa? What multi tool?

us Offline wonderwolf

2 Years in Africa? What multi tool?
on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:08 AM
I have a friend of mine headed to Africa for humanitarian work for the next 2 years....thats a loooong time. I'm meeting with her tomorrow to discuss pocket knives and multi tools would be best for her trip. She is not the camping/ outdoor type nor super handy. BUT she may learn a thing or two. And I'll talk with her some about basic care and use of said tools so they will hopefully last the entire trip and then some.

She was told she should take a multi tool at least and I'm going to recommend some other items as well if they haven't already been recommended. Anyways off the bat she is thinking the "Wave" and I'm thinking throw a Swiss army Hiker or trekker in there. We're going to engrave the blades with her name so there is no chance they can be mistaken. But I doubt they will all come back.

2 Years in Africa? What 2 pocket/belt knives tools would you take?

I would go with a Wave and a Vic Trekker I think.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:13:55 AM by wonderwolf »
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: 2 Years in Africa? What multi tool?
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:15:20 AM
I think that is a great pair, I second your selection
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:22:02 AM
The Wave would be a good selection. I would suggest a Swisstool X or possibly the Spirit X as well if the OHO blades aren't a must. One thing I think would be a good idea is a extra sheath. Seems they are the first thing to break and it might not be a easy find where she will be going.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:08 AM
Not sure how much my opinion is worth, but would it be worth considering a decent fixed blade? Not large even something like the  BuckLite Max in the small size. Full tang construction, rubberized grip, decent steel with a good heat treat, easy to resharpen without too much effort, and they can be had for under 20 bucks with a lifetime warranty(not that a warranty helps much when you're in the middle of the who knows what) I know many people here are partial to Moras but I have no experience with them.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:28:36 AM
Yes, I'm going to recommend to her kydex sheaths for whatever she takes, I carry my trekker in a kydex scabbard of sorts. Good retention ensures it wont get borrowed without you knowing.

As far as a sheath knife goes, I would take one but I'm limiting it to pocket knife stuff just because its the nature of the beast in choosing.

She will be in the Namibia state or area just West of Botswana, quick google shows a lot of nothing...heh
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:31:35 AM by wonderwolf »
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:52 AM
I would go heavy duty with tools I would be using for 2 years strait with little hope of being able to replace them. But that's just me and weight might be and issue for a female. Deff a leatherman and swiss though.
I don't know yet

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:03:25 AM
It will be pointless if she won't carry it.

I'm going to say Rebar.

And then I am going to say another back up Rebar.

2 years is a long time to spend in the middle of nowhere.

Light, good tool selection, easy to carry, simple design, easy to clean, nonthreatening looking.

Then I would say a  Vic Compact.

And a second back up Vic Compact.

Also small, light, easy to pocket, has scissors and tweezers, good for "clean" cutting as with food and for personal care. Let the Rebar do the dirty work.

Both are cheap. The combo offers one so many uses in such a small package that she could easily carry both 24/7. I myself would be satisfied with that combo, though in that environment I might want the ST300. But then, she won't lug a heavy MT around.

I also agree with the fixed blade suggestion. Something cheap but good and not too big. And then I'd buy two of those as well. Mora would be my choice. Probably a SS Companion. Plastic sheath, grippy handle, light weight, easy for a lady to handle well, not gonna put any locals on edge.

At the very least, two of each ( and again, all of these are cheap) means she has a back up if something is lost, stolen, or breaks. In a bad scenario, having an extra something shiny to trade is a good thing. And in two years, she hopefully will have done well with the tools and made some friends there she'd like to leave them with as parting gifts.

G

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:27 AM
I like the rebar suggestion too. Super tinker for the scissors and all around awesomeness.

For the small fixed blade, IMO, nothing beats an Esee Izula. But again, it just happens to be MY favorite.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:14:22 AM
Right now on Amazon, everything I suggested can be had for $170 USD.

That's two of each.

And total weight to carry all three is exactly.. Well, hardly anything really. I didn't look that up. But it's less than a sack lunch, put it that way.

Get her a six inch adjustable wrench while you are at it.  :pok:

Nuts and bolts show up in remote places too. Wait.. better get her two of them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:22:53 AM by glorn »
G

us Offline baja820

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:39:42 AM
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:26:51 AM
I still feel a fixed blade would be a better choice for the given conditions, especially because I doubt tools and such are going to be readily available and anything with torx screws that loosen may be difficult to get tightened. I don't know in those situations I would be going for simple, reliable, and proven options. The lower the opportunities for failure the better. Not that anything people have suggested will likely fail, just my take on it. That being said, I do think that a Wave or Rebar could be a safe choice.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 06:31:11 AM
I don't want to sound silly, but please send her along with a little Smith's sharpener. Weighs almost nothing, and should keep her blades serviceably sharp for minimal weight/cost.

I'm going to go with Vic Spirit or Wave for an MT, and a stayglow Climber. Stayglow particularly if she's going to be someplace with no electricity. Spirit if she'll be in more humid climate, otherwise the Wave.

Speaking of which, pack her off with either a solar power or crank flashlight. And maybe also a handful of AAAs and a little flashlight that will run for crazy-long on one AAA. My Preon P0 is supposed to run 5 days straight on 1 AAA. That's at an incredibly low light level, but in pitch black, it's all you need. Maybe consider getting one of those little $4 solar lights that light walkways, and make sure it takes AA rechargeables, or something.

Sorry if i wandered off topic a bit.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 06:34:47 AM
I think Lynn is spot on with that. She definitely needs a sharpener and a good light. Runtime will probably be key on the light.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:55 AM
Yeah a sharpener is a must but it kind of takes away the whole idea of the fixed blade. I find super steels don't benefit much from pull through or even really hard carbon blades but if she can use a diamond rod which has less of a learning curve unlike a stone then yes with a super steel or carbon blade. Every one has some good ideas on what to take but it all falls to how much is she willing to carry. Can she sharpen a blade  Will she use the tool or are we over thinking everything. :think:

So so far we have a couple vic compacts which is a good choice. A trekker maybe. And rebar or wave. A decent Fixed blade and maybe a good folder. And a flash light 3 modes with a super low that can last for days. that is what i would do from the help of all the other users here it sounds like a solid idea for a kit.  2 tools exclusively for 2 years is really asking a lot.
I don't know yet

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 06:58:02 AM
You are completely right about her needing to actually carry the stuff. Honestly no one really knows until she gets there. Im sure a MT on the belt and a SAK in her pocket would be manageable. If shes thinking of carrying a backpack (which I would) her options are limitless. Im thinking in her situation (just guessing) a MT will become used quite a lot and will probably be glued to her side. I honestly have no idea if the area she is going is a bit city like or a village in the middle of the African Plains.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:42 AM
I vote for a Vic Spirit X and a Vic Farmer (or Electrician Plus or Pioneer Harvester, if you can get one).  Something to consider is that any knife or tool which is 100% metal can be field-sterilized for food or medical use without damaging the tool by putting it in a pot of boiling water, while tools with plastic or rubber handles might not stand up so well to this treatment.

I think a firesteel and a couple of Lifestraws might also be handy, and I agree with the suggestion to take backups and backups for the backups, if possible.

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 07:04:33 AM
yeah I would carry a pack to I would carry a 3 day assault pack S.O.C brand and fill it with extra socks and underwear lol.
I don't know yet

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 07:07:15 AM
I love how the OP asked about two knives and where planning her whole trip now.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:12 AM
 :D better its brought up now it would suck if she gets there and gives OP a call and says we forgot some things.
I don't know yet

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:41 AM
Definately.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Craiger

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:55 AM
Here's my two cents:

Multitool: Wave w/ a bit kit (the bit kit adds worlds of versatility)

Knife: Any SAK with at least tweezers, scissors and a toothpick

Flashlight: Anything AA or AAA, LED, multi-mode, tail-stand (candle) capable. I'm still into cheap, durable Mag-Lites myself.

Goal Zero Guide 10+ Solar Kit: For the cache battery, charging batteries/devices and taking advantage of that African sun! 

us Offline Craiger

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 07:33:10 AM
Oh, and I might say, instead of buying two of the same multi-tools, take a look at the Leatherman Crunch for the 2nd tool.

Locking pliers can make all the difference between fixable vs. smurfed. This becomes exponentially truer and truer the farther you depart from civilization and your toolbox!

And if the Wave is lost, the Crunch will still perform most tasks as it has a decent tool load of its own.

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:57:12 AM
I hate losing things..... that said yeah maybe a crunch too  :multi: . I wouldn't be surprised if something gets stolen sad world we live in. When i was 17-18 i think i was in high school. A bunch of us went camping and this dude came with use and i knew it was a bad idea i never liked the crook. Every thing was cool until the next day we packed up left and i went to unpack gear and a buck folder with the brass ends and wood scales that was handed down from my grandfather was missing. and a flash light and some other things.

Well turns out i wasn't the only one missing things   :rant: . I never should of brought it with me i guess I'm part to blame  :oops:  but who would of thought someone would go into the tent when every one was having fun and raid our packs after being nice to him. Advice always have your pack in eye site around strangers and new faces. i know its wrong to think like that but it happens.
I don't know yet

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:57 AM
A durable multitool, a handy SAK and a no nonsense knife.
Africa can mean a LOT of humidity (it depens where she's heading to) and that combined to durable means a Swiss multitool. We don't want her to have a rusty Leatherman after 6 months of adventure there.
Since she is a woman, a Spirit will be fine. I would prefer the two bladed version. So the SAK should have a pair of scissors. A Climper would be fine but even a Swisschamp is an option, with backup of saws and other usefull tools (she might even use the fish scaler there). For a knife that will be her "clean" one (for food preparation, one must be very careful with peptic infections there) an Opinel, what else?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 08:34:17 AM
I hate losing things..... that said yeah maybe a crunch too  :multi: . I wouldn't be surprised if something gets stolen sad world we live in. When i was 17-18 i think i was in high school. A bunch of us went camping and this dude came with use and i knew it was a bad idea i never liked the crook. Every thing was cool until the next day we packed up left and i went to unpack gear and a buck folder with the brass ends and wood scales that was handed down from my grandfather was missing. and a flash light and some other things.

Well turns out i wasn't the only one missing things   :rant: . I never should of brought it with me i guess I'm part to blame  :oops:  but who would of thought someone would go into the tent when every one was having fun and raid our packs after being nice to him. Advice always have your pack in eye site around strangers and new faces. i know its wrong to think like that but it happens.

I know how that goes except it was a good friend. I lost a irreplaceable custom made knife that my Uncle gave me one night. He found it and never told me. I guess he didn't technically steal it, but he might as well have.  :twak: A few months later he's screwing my ex girlfriend a week after we broke up..... I was more upset about the knife...... :facepalm: thats how much it meant to me.  :cry:

Lol, anyways back to topic.  :whistle:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:37 AM
Yep wave should be spot on,plus a explorer as a few editional extras  :salute:

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:33 AM

I know how that goes except it was a good friend. I lost a irreplaceable custom made knife that my Uncle gave me one night. He found it and never told me. I guess he didn't technically steal it, but he might as well have.  :twak: A few months later he's screwing my ex girlfriend a week after we broke up..... I was more upset about the knife...... :facepalm: thats how much it meant to me.  :cry:

Lol, anyways back to topic.  :whistle:

That would tick me off the wrong way to. Its not like there are any replicas of custom knives i would of fought my friend  :twak:. Me and my freinds have a rule if you wan to sleep with and EX you must ask first text or call. Ive never seen any of them say no yet. niether have I lmao :rofl:

Ok back to topic  :salute: 
 Zebralight H502 Headlamp can stay on for 2 weeks at the lowest setting 0.8 lumens and runs off of a single AA
I don't know yet

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:18 AM
Anything Zebralight is AMAZING!!!!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:19 AM
Sounds like the perfect brand to take into Africa. I might buy one myself just for the woods lol

Sent from a mini super computer in the future
I don't know yet

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 09:34:43 AM
Quick question,but where in Africa? This can have an impact on legalities :pok:

My choices would be either a Wave or a SwissTool,either would be good, and a red Cellidor SAK,a Huntsman maybe?

The Multi needs to be tough,assuming we're in 'black' Africa as opposed to somewhere like SA, or Botswana. The SAK is,as always,the friendly red knife  :D. As far as I can remember,there were starting to be restrictions on locking knives in SA,but I'm sure one of our South African members can confirm that. If lockers are an option,I'd add a half decent Spydie to the set :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%