Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Years in Africa? What multi tool?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: 2 Years in Africa? What multi tool?
Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 06:00:40 AM
Metro, why the Raptor???
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:29 AM

Metro, why the Raptor???
You can take them apart to service them, the fold, they have a great strap cutter and best of all, they are safe to use.

The scissors on most, if not all MTs are only good for very small tasks.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

au Online pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:05 AM
...boots are now my big worry for her. I forgot she has spent some time in Africa a few years ago but doing more touristy type stuff.

I'd suggest Cournteney Boots, made in Africa for Africa.

http://www.courteneyboot.com/distrib.php

I have a few pairs of these and they cannot be killed. I use mine daily between Motorcycle riding, driving trains and social stuff. I call them my DCW shoes: Dance, Church and Work  :D
Being made from game skin they can be worn everyday without the usual worry of drying out. They have special boots for woman too and have two distributors in USA.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 04:33:48 PM
Definitely get a SAK to compliment that MT. A great choice would be a Victorinox Compact. The Compact gives you great scissors, an extra knife, pen, tweezers, toothpick, eyeglass screwdriver, a hook (yes, that hook really is useful), corkscrew (useful for more than just wine bottles), and a combo tool.  Getting a larger SAK is redundant if you’re carrying a MT.

The Wave and Swisstool are both good choices. If you get a Wave, keep in mind that LM’s quality control can be spotty, so make sure you don’t get a lemon.  Warranties are no good in the bush.

Things to consider:

• If you don’t mind your MT rusting, get a Wave. Otherwise, get a Swisstool.
  • If you absolutely need one-hand opening, get a Wave.
  • The Swisstool has longer drivers compared to the Wave’s bit drivers, but the Wave gives you more options. Which is more important: driver length, or having more options?

So with both tools you have pros and cons. No MT is perfect. An MT is a compromise to carrying a full kit of dedicated tools. Figure out the one that best suits your needs.

Offline Faiaoga

Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 05:58:55 PM
 8) Amen to the idea of practicing with the Swiss Army Knife and multitool and to the idea of a "boot camp" for basic skills.  Too many Americans do not have practice in making basic repairs and in rudimentar0y survival/camp skills, so it would be good to practice these.  For example, I learned to drill holes for wood screws by burning holes with a nail heated red hot in a kerosene pressure stove - pliers on a multitool or ViseGrip are very helpful here.  Other basic skills might be trimming and lighting kerosene lamps, making a campfire using a sparking rod and tinder, cutting firewood, trimming grass and shrubs with a machete, basic knots (seamanship and Scouting skills) and other basic knowledge that we do not usually use in modern American life.  First aid training and swimming skills could also be helpful.

As a science teacher in a village school, I found "700 Science Experiments for Everyone" (first written for UNESCO teachers) to be helpful.  "Survival guides" may help on basic skills for Third World living, even if not in a survival situation.  I am sure that OXFAM, UNESCO and other development agencies have useful publications.
Peace Corps and other organization websites may have information for preparing to live in a particular country.

Good Luck and best wishes to your friend.  Faiaoga ("schoolteacher" in Samoan)

us Offline SublimetalMsG

Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:04 AM
Doc martins hold up ok. The boots in my opinion are not comfortable at all compared to red wings or Chippewas bit they are also half the price in some cases. But the shoes are different I have a pair of Keith's doc martins and they are much more comfortable plus it a mens shoe but I'm sure a women cab wear them as they are like a boot\casual shoe its really the best pair of kicks I have worn build like a boot but comfortable like a sneaker.
I don't know yet

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 06:00:46 PM
I know this is already few days old, but have you guys decided on what to get?

As much as I like my SAKs, I actually recommend not to give one to a complete MT novice person.  Because one too many times I have seen inexperienced 'knife' user forgotten they have a 'slipjoint' type of blade in their hand, and try to use the SAK for stabbing/'reverse' cutting job or try to use it as an awl, and it really freaks me out.  So I would recommend something that has a more definite 'feedback' to prevent accidental fold back.

Spirit X is a solid contender, great rust proofing, everything self contained and not too heavy to carry either in sheath or in pocket. 

Another suggestion would be a 111mm OHO Plain edge trekker, which is my favorite folding knife for any outdoor activity.  It has dual safety system(liner lock and a back spring) and all the relevant tool for camping/hiking(can opener, bottle opener, awesome saw, large flathead(light prybar).  All the reason why I see many armies around the world issue it, and it is also quite rust proof.

Good luck with the selection and hope she will find those tools useful someday. :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:48 PM
My scarpa delta gtx are the most comfy boots ive owned and i thought my brasha hillmasters of 15 years was comfy  :tu:

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 06:29:34 AM
I suggest the LM Crunch, a small vic and a bitdriver ratchet.

The vic needs to be always in her pocket. So get a small one. The vic should have scissors, a small blade and some tweezers. The rest is optional.

The LM crunch will be able to tackle the hard stuff, without beeing oversize. You can get pipes open and things bend with the crunch that no other multi would be able to. The selection of rather long screwdrivers, a locking sheepsfoot and the file make it very versatile.

Also, get her a bit-driver ratchet. These little beasts are much more powerful than multis for screwing tasks. Also, some sets will have nuts in them, too. Just make sure to get the right ones for the country (imperial or metric?).

I have been living in india for half a year now and another thing that came in handy more than once was a staple-gun. They are cheap, lightweight and provide quick fixes for a lot of problems.

Here is my set i took to india (plus a small LM squirt in my pocket). Never used the skeletool to be honest.

IMG_20130809_145724.jpg
* IMG_20130809_145724.jpg (Filesize: 205.37 KB)
Gewicht 1121g.jpg
* Gewicht 1121g.jpg (Filesize: 204.69 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:31:36 AM by Shorty66 »
T - `cause i like tea :)

us Offline kc8emd

Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:47 AM
I spent this past summer traveling Africa on an overland camping tour. I brought with me a Leatherman PST II and a Leatherman Mica.  The PST II was invaluable as I was the go to guy to fix things like broken tent zippers and other random things like electronics.  Ended up losing the PST II towards the end of the trip in Egypt, but I am glad I had my micra as a backup for many things, including trimming my travel beard lol. 

Looking back I would have brought a Leatherman Blast as the saw would have come in handy with fire wood and it is fairly cheap price as it was recently discontinued.

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #70 on: February 21, 2014, 06:29:39 AM
Drum roll..........

For her multi tool I ended up finding a Victorinox Spirit X within her budget. Took a while hunting ebay like a hawk for more than almost a week but I found one.

For smaller knives (pocket knives) we're going with a huntsman, tinker (or super tinker) and a classic or two. ....may double up on the tinker if she chooses.

I'm also "donating" 50' of black and 50' of bright yellow or green (her choice) of paracord.....we all know how useful that could be and 100' might not be enough but I don't want to weigh her down too much since she is probably still going to pack like a girl. I stock thousands of feet of the stuff anyways and can spare some

Might send her with a 111mm "adventurer" I just picked up as well but I don't want to be giving her a bunch of good tools if she won't respect them. I'll gauge her needs when we meet up again later and go from there. I wish she knew where she was going, if push came to shove and mail was a possibility I could send her requested tools after her first year or so.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #71 on: February 21, 2014, 06:36:41 AM
Good choices :tu:
But no Leatherman? What a slap in our faces.  :facepalm:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:54 AM
Drum roll..........

For her multi tool I ended up finding a Victorinox Spirit X within her budget. Took a while hunting ebay like a hawk for more than almost a week but I found one.

For smaller knives (pocket knives) we're going with a huntsman, tinker (or super tinker) and a classic or two. ....may double up on the tinker if she chooses.

I'm also "donating" 50' of black and 50' of bright yellow or green (her choice) of paracord.....we all know how useful that could be and 100' might not be enough but I don't want to weigh her down too much since she is probably still going to pack like a girl. I stock thousands of feet of the stuff anyways and can spare some

Might send her with a 111mm "adventurer" I just picked up as well but I don't want to be giving her a bunch of good tools if she won't respect them. I'll gauge her needs when we meet up again later and go from there. I wish she knew where she was going, if push came to shove and mail was a possibility I could send her requested tools after her first year or so.

Personally, those are excellent choices, even though I too love my leathermen.

It'd be great from time to time we get some action report back from her to see how she likes her tools.  Vic Spirit is pretty, and unless it is carried in sheath, I do suggest to use lanyard with it.  Maybe a small clip/paracord lanyard on person?

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #73 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:19 PM
Leatherman Charge and coldsteel Rajah III
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #74 on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:13 PM
Drum roll..........

It'd be great from time to time we get some action report back from her to see how she likes her tools.  Vic Spirit is pretty, and unless it is carried in sheath, I do suggest to use lanyard with it.  Maybe a small clip/paracord lanyard on person?

The spirit(s) havn't showed up yet (I got a few for myself as well) does it have a little tap on the tool selection for a lanyard? I have a welder friend who does beautiful stuff and has welded pocket clips on stainless spyderco's etc since they seem to break all the time....could get him to mod one. Hopefully I'll have the kydex scabards done after the SAK's come in...and that will give her carry options.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #75 on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:47 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:07 PM
Here's a blog that my friend Thomas D. Moore made concerning his travels.
Hope it helps :think:
http://www.pathfindertom.com/2010/06/14/tomahawks-new-adventure-2/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:16:45 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 08:11:17 AM
Drum roll..........

Spirit itself doesn't have a dedicated lanyard anchor point, but an easy way to solve this is simply to use the corkscrew attachment point as a lanyard hole.  Many of our members here do use it this way:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=382.0

Personally, I did make a lanyard with a small clip on one end, so you could unclip the tool when you take it out.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #78 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:45 PM
Spirit itself doesn't have a dedicated lanyard anchor point, but an easy way to solve this is simply to use the corkscrew attachment point as a lanyard hole.  Many of our members here do use it this way:

Personally, I did make a lanyard with a small clip on one end, so you could unclip the tool when you take it out.

The documentation for the Spirit actually does mark the corkscrew attachment on one side as the lanyard attachment point.

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 03:54:04 AM

The documentation for the Spirit actually does mark the corkscrew attachment on one side as the lanyard attachment point.

Good info, I did see that "hole" and the gears started to turn, I'll converse with her and see what she wants, i have hi-viz stuff I'll put on the other knives and I'll give her the option of having it on the spirit. I'll give her some "cheater" cards for knot tying but I feel like she has to first learn how bad she needs this knowledge before she accepts it, Kinda like a younger boy scout going "yeah right ok" and then one day being like "dang, wish I paid attention" ....non of us were like that right   :whistle:

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 03:42:42 PM
If you need it I can donate 10 or 20 feet of safety orange paracord, and probally 50ft of od green if you want it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #81 on: March 04, 2014, 03:54:22 PM
If you need it I can donate 10 or 20 feet of safety orange paracord, and probally 50ft of od green if you want it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I sell the stuff at gunshows by the foot and have about 10,000' on hand at any given time, I ended up giving her bright yellow because its what I had the most of in the "safety neon" colors nobody seems to like yellow around here. Thanks for the offer though.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #82 on: March 04, 2014, 05:20:17 PM
I get all my paracord in either yellow or orange.  :tu:

It's probably been mentioned before in the thread, but you might want to send her along with a little cheat card of a number of useful knots.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:32 PM
Or show her how to tie them first hand. I've struggled trying to follow written or diagrammed instructions, maybe I'm just not too bright ???
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 08:37:36 PM
I Also read e books by the big game hunter Peter Hathaway Capstick, and he carried a Victorinox Swiss Champ :sak:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%