Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thin Multitool Suggestions

00 Offline Maliahk

Re: Thin Multitool Suggestions
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:04 PM
Now, if you wear skinny jeans, that may not be the case for you! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh and I don't wear skinny jeans... ;) :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:34 PM
I'm not a fan of the pliers on the Skeletool myself, but if they would work for the most part to cover your needs, and the other tools on it are what you need, you perhaps should give it a try.  Trust me, you'll end up with more than one before it's all said and done and you figure out what works best for you ;)
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:29 PM
This may be of use to you:

Rebar, Spirit, Wave/Blast/Fuse/Kick/Charge, Squirt, Sidekick/Wingman, Skeletool.

The Skeletool pliers are around about the same dimensions as the Juice from this angle, but are actually something like 50% thicker and the pivot is bigger. The Sideclip (not pictured) is a little bit thicker again than the Skeletool but with a slightly smaller pivot and pliers that go down to more of a point.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 09:46:02 PM
Great plier comparison Cupboard :tu:
K-Tibbs

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 09:50:07 PM
I have to say that while I'm not a major fan of the Skelitool,it beats the carp out of the Sidekick/Wingman on quality,and thinner more pocketable dimensions.

If you can get the set with the Style CS,it has a pretty good set of scissors :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 09:51:14 PM
The Skeletool is very good as a knife and screwdriver, in my experience, but as a pair of pliers it has "love it or hate it" ergonomics with its curved handles.

The Skeletool is also much more expensive than a Wingman. If I were you, I'd buy the Wingman. It gives you more tools for less money (adds scissors, file, and can opener compared to the Skeletool). Scissors especially are useful on a daily basis for most people, once they start carrying a tool with them.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 10:43:08 PM

OHO features (with the main tools, blade, pliers?)
A locking blade ( Quick question...this means in the open position, right?)
A spring loaded pliers (not necessary)

I keep coming back to the skeletool...it just seems mostly what i'm looking for.  Except that the needlenose pliers don't look too needlenose...a little flat.
Anyways the juice s2 and sidekick also seem like good options, but a couple have suggested to look elsewhere if I need good wire cutters.

I noticed the skeletool has a deal that comes with a style cs.

All in all, I just need to buy one and try it out.

As long as I can use it for something other than a paperweight I';ll be happy.  :)
I don't have a Skeletool myself, but it is on the short list of new MT's that I want.  I personally prefer pliers that are not so needle nose, as they tend to get in the way when trying to come on to a bolt in a tighter space.

The Skeletool and Style CS pack is a good deal IMHO.  I really like the Style CS, and think they are great scissors.  Actually, probably the ONLY scissors that I like from Leatherman.  I think most Leatherman scissors that are in MT's are crap.

I had an S2 and a CS4, and traded them for a TTi.  While on paper they are fantastic tools, in person they really fall short.  The fit and finish is just too poor for me, and the drivers will bite you every time you go to open them.

Honestly, I also think that getting used tools is the way to go.  You might be able to get something that you want that new, would be out of your price range.  Also remember that Leatherman has a 25 year warranty, Gerber lifetime, and Victorinox lifetime as well. 

Probably my favorite MT is my SwissTool that I bought used on ebay for $60 to my door.  It was near mint, and would have cost me much more to buy new, and the new really wouldn't have gotten me any better quality.

Good luck with your search, and just remember, the MTO way is to just buy EVERYTHING!! :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 10:52:54 PM
^^^And then a second copy of everything, just in case..... :D
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 11:03:47 PM
If scissors are really important to you, I'd have a look at Lynn's scissors review thread. It's pretty comprehensive and well balanced.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:56 PM
Link to the scissor thread for your convenience.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=36798.0

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:53 AM
Wow!

I love coming back here each time and having more great suggestions.   :D

To answer some questions.  I live in the US.  My budget is anything under $75. 
I kind of want a new tool...so that pretty much eliminates retiried tools.  Unless there's a place I can get them new.                                   

So....now I think I'm needing some thing with

OHO features (with the main tools, blade, pliers?)
There are models with 4 OHO outside opening tools and all locking. Surge, Wave, Charge for ex

A locking blade ( Quick question...this means in the open position, right?)
Yes, LM uses liner locks.

A spring loaded pliers (not necessary)
There arent many models with spring loaded pliers. Wingman, Sidekick, OHT come to mind.

I keep coming back to the skeletool...it just seems mostly what i'm looking for.  Except that the needlenose pliers don't look too needlenose...a little flat.
The Skeletool is a polarizing tool around here with its love it or hate it appeal.  I like it and for a simple tool and the bluntish plier is good.  This tool is very pocketable and the carabiner give you another option to carry.  The Skele and Style deal is a good one and I agree with DMac the style has pretty sweet scissors as well as a nice littel tool in itself.

Anyways the juice s2 and sidekick also seem like good options, but a couple have suggested to look elsewhere if I need good wire cutters.
The S2 is small, its as small as a Victorinox Tinker.  I just got one so I cannot respond it's capabilities but it has always gotten great reviews. 

I noticed the skeletool has a deal that comes with a style cs.

All in all, I just need to buy one and try it out.
YES

As long as I can use it for something other than a paperweight I';ll be happy.  :)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Maliahk

Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 07:03:04 AM

The Skeletool pliers are around about the same dimensions as the Juice from this angle, but are actually something like 50% thicker and the pivot is bigger. The Sideclip (not pictured) is a little bit thicker again than the Skeletool but with a slightly smaller pivot and pliers that go down to more of a point.

Thanks for the comparison.  The wave and rebar look like the best pliers for my needs...actually I like the juice s2 as well. 

But overall, I think the SKeletool is for me.  Thin, light, usable as an everyday carry. 

My next tool (yes I'm already looking for another) will be more robust...maybe the wave.

Thanks for an awesome welcome to an awesome forum!!

:D :D :multi:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 08:28:43 AM
My next tool (yes I'm already looking for another) will be more robust...maybe the wave.

In that case, have a look at the new model Surge  :pok:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:00 AM
Late, but still :)

While it doesn't have the OHO tools, if you like needle noses and locking, the older LM's are worth a look, they have more needle-nosey pliers than the newer ones. For one with locking tools, I think you'll like the Pulse. Also comes with scissors and a diamond file, like the Wave, and is really not so much larger than the PST.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:11 AM

In that case, have a look at the new model Surge  :pok:
New Surge is the bomb!
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline Maliahk

Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:55 PM
SO I got my Skeletool and Style CS in the mail.

Much heavier than I thought ( the skeletool not the style)

Love the OHO blade.

Couple of questions though...

THe skeletool looks slightly dirty...not overtly, but around the pliers and carbiner.  Is this just from the forging process?

Speaking of the pliers, they don't quite close all the way.  The tip touches, but the rest of the needlenose section does not...Is this normal?

Also a couple of the plates inserted into the handle look slightly worn/chipped...again is this just from forging processes?

One more thing, the tool is very stiff, will this go away after use?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:40 AM

Love the OHO blade.

THe skeletool looks slightly dirty...not overtly, but around the pliers and carbiner.  Is this just from the forging process?

Speaking of the pliers, they don't quite close all the way.  The tip touches, but the rest of the needlenose section does not...Is this normal?

Also a couple of the plates inserted into the handle look slightly worn/chipped...again is this just from forging processes?

Glad you got your Skeletool, a dirty tool very well could be oils and manufacturing crud not cool they let it go thru but a quick clean up and you should be good to go.  I know a new squeaky clean tool is very important to some but you mentioned you would be using it on your auto so clean it like you would after a day working with it and it will be good to go.  Chipping and worn parts is not normal I'd send it back personally.  The needle nose will touch on the tip and this is the precision part of the plier head and is very normal.  A very stiff tool is indeed because it's new so go put that tool to some use.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Maliahk

Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 02:20:58 AM

Love the OHO blade.

Glad you got your Skeletool, a dirty tool very well could be oils and manufacturing crud not cool they let it go thru but a quick clean up and you should be good to go.  I know a new squeaky clean tool is very important to some but you mentioned you would be using it on your auto so clean it like you would after a day working with it and it will be good to go.  Chipping and worn parts is not normal I'd send it back personally.  The needle nose will touch on the tip and this is the precision part of the plier head and is very normal.  A very stiff tool is indeed because it's new so go put that tool to some use.   

Thanks.

I'm going to upload some pics tomorrow to show you what I mean about the wear/chipping to see if it's normal or I'm being too much of a tool hawk (hmmm think I coined a new phrase).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:47 AM
Its totally understandable, when you finally get your Leatherman you want it to be everything you expect.  Post up some pics for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 05:11:13 AM
Fatntastic post team - Some very useful information within.

Figured I'd snap some pics for reference
Here are a number of MTs, ordered by thickness left to right, with right being the thickest.
Vic Cadet, Leatherman Style PS, Leatherman Micra, Vic Tinker, Leatherman PST II, Vic Farmer, SOG Pocket Powerplier, Leatherman Juice S2, Vic Spirit X, Vic Climber, Leatherman Wingman
Great photo Lynn - and I'm sure just what Maliahk needed -
Brilliant idea with the coins - But please re-shoot with Aussie 10c pieces  :think:

I cannot believe that the Climber is thicker than the Spirit and that the Wingman is the thickest of the lot - Not what I would have expected....

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 05:20:30 AM
The wingman is only so thick because the bolts protrude. It was a bit of an unfair comparison with the Wingman. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to come up with a better solution for measuring thickness.

Wikipedia says the Australian 10c coin is 2mm thick, and the U.S. quarter is 1.75mm thick. So...

(for comparison with the photos I took)
10 quarters is about 9 Australian 10c coins.
7 quarters is about 6 Australian 10c coins.
and 5 U.S. quarters is about 4.5 10c coins in thickness.

Hope that helps.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 05:22:25 AM
I'm not sure if he was kidding or not about asking you to redo it, but either way wow you're quick lol.  :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:36 AM
Wow Lynn - You are amazing - and quick - and very resourceful....  :salute:
And ..... Higgins617 is right - I was only kidding  :facepalm:
Sorry - But thanks anyway - More useful reference information.

Yep understand about the Wingman bolts.
The one that surprised me more was the Climber versus Spirit - ie a mere SAK - being thicker than a Multitool. I guess those (beautiful Silvertech, in this case,) scales have a lot to answer for.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 05:38:46 AM
Well, the Spirit is a pretty slim tool, and yeah, a Climber isn't SUPER thin.

Also... kidding is not allowed. I had to do MATH, dammit!  :rofl:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 05:40:27 AM
MATH.... :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 05:46:58 AM
Also... kidding is not allowed. I had to do MATH, dammit!  :rofl:

Well I knew you could not re-shoot - as presumably you do not have a supply of Aussie 10c.
So I thought the joke/flippant comment was obvious.....
But I did not consider your resourcefulness and mathematical ability  :think: :salute:  :tu:

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #56 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:32 PM
I have the Rebar, Sidekick and my wife has the Wingman, and my son has a Sidekick and we both have a Squirt PS4 each..

I got the Rebar/Micra combo as my first LM great combo you get a tough Mideum MT and the scissors of the Micra.

Micra, Rebar, Wingman and Surge

I use the Sidekick as a back up to my Surge and have been surprised how much I was using it, it has infact become my weekend EDC MT with the PS4 on my Key-Chain and a Boker Magnum..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 06:52:17 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but I find the Skeletool rides in the hip pocket better than the Wingman because the Skeletool is thinner at the bottom than it is at the top, so it lets your leg move.  The Wingman's bolts rub on your leg as you walk so you're always aware of it being there.  Looking at the construction, they could have designed that out of the tool, but it's built down to a price.  I really like the Wingman, but I carry my Skeletool.

I'll also mention that the Skeletool's wire cutters actually work.  The pinch-type cutters in the Wingman are useless, it's the one major design change I would make. 
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Cogito

Reply #58 on: March 11, 2014, 06:57:26 PM
A lot of people seem to be hating on the sidekick/wingmans for some reason, but it is an excellent tool!  Those are the only ones with Springed pliers.

Also I came to realize when I was looking for multi-tools that you should get them all in metal if possible because plastic will fail on you and that you shouldn't have to rely on the warranty if something does go wrong and they don't cover you.  I got my sidekick for $20 on black friday two years ago and it's gone with me everywhere.

Not only that they are some of the smallest Leathermans with 2 locking points which is really all you need because the in handle tools when the handles are closed can't close in on themselves so you save the weight of the locking mechanisms. I'm even considering buying a wave so I can take the better tools out of it and put them into my sidekick.

As a bonus: right now I'm trying to figure out which elastic band to use because it seems like the sidekick/wingman tools come with a built in place to make them into slingshots! :)  Also I'm working on an idea to lock the handles into slingshot mode, but that might take me some time.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #59 on: March 11, 2014, 07:30:46 PM
A lot of people seem to be hating on the sidekick/wingmans for some reason, but it is an excellent tool!  Those are the only ones with Springed pliers.

Also I came to realize when I was looking for multi-tools that you should get them all in metal if possible because plastic will fail on you and that you shouldn't have to rely on the warranty if something does go wrong and they don't cover you.  I got my sidekick for $20 on black friday two years ago and it's gone with me everywhere.

Not only that they are some of the smallest Leathermans with 2 locking points which is really all you need because the in handle tools when the handles are closed can't close in on themselves so you save the weight of the locking mechanisms. I'm even considering buying a wave so I can take the better tools out of it and put them into my sidekick.

As a bonus: right now I'm trying to figure out which elastic band to use because it seems like the sidekick/wingman tools come with a built in place to make them into slingshots! :)  Also I'm working on an idea to lock the handles into slingshot mode, but that might take me some time.

I agree with you on the Wingman/Sidekick issue.  I remember reading negative things about them back before I ever got one.  I was pleasantly surprised by them, and I loved the spring loaded pliers.  I don't use my MTs all that much really, so they are just fine for my usage.  I actually swapped the Sidekick's saw with the Wingman's scissors to make the Sidekick-X, and it was surprisingly easy for me with no experience modding.  Oh, and I want to see pics of this slingshot mode...that sounds really cool :tu:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD