Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thin Multitool Suggestions

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Thin Multitool Suggestions
Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 12:44:24 AM
Wingman/Sidekick: locking knives, non locking tools; a great idea and a very useful combination! ...said noone never...

ca Offline Dem

Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 03:09:49 AM
For the price I think the wingman (and I assume the sidekick) is fairly good. Certainly good enough that someone might be willing to drop the money on it when they wouldn't consider a more expensive MT. Definitely aimed at a specific type of consumer. You can tell that retailers had a voice in product development.

I like the wingman enough that I'll probably grab a sidekick just to collect it.

Dem

us Offline Cogito

Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:16 AM
Wingman/Sidekick: locking knives, non locking tools; a great idea and a very useful combination! ...said noone never...

If you read my post a couple above you then you will have realized that I said it. :)

By having non locking tools when you close the handles they are quasi locked, which allows you to have a decently strong tool and not carry the weight penalty of the extra locking mechanisms.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 02:14:48 PM
Heh, if I'm carrying around a slab of metal that is a multitool, I couldn't care less if it weighed a gram or two more for the added benefit/safety of implement locks. Plus, locks don't necessarily add weight, as you have to remove some material from the blades to allow the locking mechanism to engage, and the (leatherman-style) locking levers are usually placed in cutouts. Then there's the old supertool lock which definitely didn't add any weight to the tool. So, no... The Wingman and Sidekick don't have locks just to keep their cost of manufacturing down; nothing to do with weight or utility or anything else here.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%