Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for Pros and Cons on Button Lock knives

00 Offline SgtTowser

Looking for Pros and Cons on Button Lock knives
on: May 11, 2021, 05:51:02 AM
Civivi has a button lock Elementum coming out with a slightly stretched blade (from 3 to 3.5”) of 14c28n steel and micarta handles. Always thought I wanted an affordable button lock, but now that one is available I’m second guessing myself.

Anyone had experience with a button lock knife they could share?

Thanks in advance.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for Pros and Cons on Button Lock knives
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 09:39:40 AM
No experience to share but have been looking at the elementum button lock myself :tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

de Offline Shuya

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 10:30:23 AM
I got two, a Boker Plus Carbon one (not in production anymore, shown in this video: Youtube, remove " " in Link ) and a Eickhorn Rescue Knife Link to Manufacturer.

The Boker has a small pin that blocks the blade on on the same spot as a axislock but unlocks by pressing the pin down against a spring.
The Eickhorn one has a liner lock and a large button on the other liner to press the liner down and unlock.

Pros:
Easy, intuitive, no hands in path of blade when unlocking.
No wobble, solid locking on both blades.
depending on design, the button fits nicely into the grib, nothing to stand out or catch your pocket.

Cons:
Depends on the manufacturer. the Eickhorn has a large button (made as rescue knife to operate with gloves) and if you grab the knife you can accidently press the button and unlock it in use. Big, big con, especially in emergencys, for whats the knife is made as an rescue blade.
The Boker on the other hand doesnt have that problem that much, but still possible.
Unlike the Eickhorn where the mechnism is basically a Liner lock, the Boker has a small spring and a bold with nice fit. Nice fit also means small tolerances, so dirt can and will block the lock open, and since the spring is inside the bolt, cleaning means taking the whole knife apart.
For a gents knife this is no issue, for a working knife which may get into contact with dirt, fluids and stuff, it is a problem. In this case, more open locks or ones that are easy to clean are better.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 03:51:47 AM
I got two, a Boker Plus Carbon one (not in production anymore, shown in this video: Youtube, remove " " in Link ) and a Eickhorn Rescue Knife Link to Manufacturer.

The Boker has a small pin that blocks the blade on on the same spot as a axislock but unlocks by pressing the pin down against a spring.
The Eickhorn one has a liner lock and a large button on the other liner to press the liner down and unlock.

Pros:
Easy, intuitive, no hands in path of blade when unlocking.
No wobble, solid locking on both blades.
depending on design, the button fits nicely into the grib, nothing to stand out or catch your pocket.

Cons:
Depends on the manufacturer. the Eickhorn has a large button (made as rescue knife to operate with gloves) and if you grab the knife you can accidently press the button and unlock it in use. Big, big con, especially in emergencys, for whats the knife is made as an rescue blade.
The Boker on the other hand doesnt have that problem that much, but still possible.
Unlike the Eickhorn where the mechnism is basically a Liner lock, the Boker has a small spring and a bold with nice fit. Nice fit also means small tolerances, so dirt can and will block the lock open, and since the spring is inside the bolt, cleaning means taking the whole knife apart.
For a gents knife this is no issue, for a working knife which may get into contact with dirt, fluids and stuff, it is a problem. In this case, more open locks or ones that are easy to clean are better.

Accidental unlock under stress has me concerned. I was wondering about that.

Also, I’m a lefty and the button is on the right.

Finally, this Elementum has no flipper or thumb stud to deploy. You press the button and flip to deploy. Press button and flip to retract. Not sure this is right for a lefty, or maybe anyone.

Reviewers are mixed.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 02:31:28 AM
Accidental unlock under stress has me concerned. I was wondering about that.

Also, I’m a lefty and the button is on the right.

Finally, this Elementum has no flipper or thumb stud to deploy. You press the button and flip to deploy. Press button and flip to retract. Not sure this is right for a lefty, or maybe anyone.

Reviewers are mixed.

I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be, my experience is limited to one Kershaw button lock but I tend to use my knives left handed a lot (recently found out I'm meant to be left handed heh).

Do you mean that the button is on the side where your fingers are instead of your thumb? Pinch gripping should make that a none issue, you can try a similar thing with an axis lock.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:45 AM
I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be, my experience is limited to one Kershaw button lock but I tend to use my knives left handed a lot (recently found out I'm meant to be left handed heh).

Do you mean that the button is on the side where your fingers are instead of your thumb? Pinch gripping should make that a none issue, you can try a similar thing with an axis lock.

Thx for your insight. And yes button will be opposite thumb.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 07:30:37 AM
Thx for your insight. And yes button will be opposite thumb.

In the next few days I'll find (and reassemble) my button lock to see how it faces in left handed action  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%