Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winchester brand multitool

Offline Faiaoga

Winchester brand multitool
on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:57 AM
For Cheap and Cheerful, allow me to recommend the Winchester brand of multitools sold in hardware stores,  Not the highest quality but good value for the price.

I have a small multitool (only about 3 inches closed length) by Winchester for $12 with Cordura nylon sheath that has worked well for about two years.  It has spring-loaded pliers that fold into the handle (Leatherman pattern pattern) the usual assortment of screwdriver bits and knife blades and has comfortable plastic handles in a fake walnut pattern.  The tool did a decent job fixing a malfunctioning toilet tank in a dormitory room when no other tools were available. 

My 3 inch version is the smaller one that is branded Winchester,  A larger version is available, but I have not used it.  Does anyone else have experience with these inexpensive tools? ??? ???

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Re: Winchester brand multitool
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:42:06 AM
I've just gotten rid of a Winchester one I had in a drawer. It was hands down the worst multi tool I've used.

Mostly because it was badly thought out and you'd pinch your hand and give yourself blood blisters every time the jaws slipped. Hurts like a smurf.

The quality was pretty awful too. I wouldn't even give it away as a gift because I knew the recipient would just hurt themselves with it.

It was one of these ones.

Offline Faiaoga

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:22:51 PM
The Winchester tool you show is different than the one I have.  As I stated, m Winchester multitool is not the greatest but it does work for basic tasks - I am happy at a $12 price.  Could it be (as I suspect) that the Winchester name has been slapped onto more than one tool? ???

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:14:56 PM
Hahahahaha different brand, same hand crushing characteristics. That Winchester looks like an exact knock-off of the Mr. Pinchys. Allbeit with an updated plier head. They just don't learn :rofl:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:50 PM
The Winchester tool you show is different than the one I have.  As I stated, m Winchester multitool is not the greatest but it does work for basic tasks - I am happy at a $12 price. Could it be (as I suspect) that the Winchester name has been slapped onto more than one tool? ???

Yes.  Winchester currently put their brand on a lot of different MTs, many (almost all or all ?) at the budget end of the market.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:13:06 AM
I have always wondered if these Winchesters were made by Gerber's low end Carolina Tools division. That would make the most sens to me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:25:43 AM
I have always wondered if these Winchesters were made by Gerber's low end Carolina Tools division. That would make the most sens to me.

I believe they are.  When I compare the tools they look very similar (except for the pliers - or is that the Renegade version I am thinking of with the fishermans pliers ? ).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:27:16 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Dem

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:31 AM
I've got one of these, another Winchester. I found it rather good for a cheap tool.

-Tools all lock (like an original supertool)
-Phillips isn't awful
-Pliers are sturdy and cut hard wire fine.

-Pliers don't open as far as I'd like
-The blade needs sharpening.
-It has a fish scaler/file combo. While I guess that's the king of fish scaler hybrid tools... well, it's still a fish scaler.
-The entire tool is ridiculously large. It's as long as a full sized MT,  but considerably thicker/higher.

Really though, not bad for what it is.

Dem

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:02 AM
I'm glad it works for you! :tu: Looks fairly Suspension-esque to me(especially the plier heads). Possibly furthering the idea that they are produced by Gerber's low quality end?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Dem

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Enh, the suspension style design is really common in Chinese-made MTs (I'm pretty sure Ganzo was using it before Gerber was.) I don't have a suspension, but I do have a G301 (close to the same tool,) and the Winchester is quite a lot bigger than the Ganzo. Pretty sure it's just another Chinese-sourced MT.

I dunno if 'works for me' is how I'd describe it, though. 'Works for the price,' maybe ;).

Dem

Offline Faiaoga

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:29 PM
Dem (Reply #6) shows an item that is different than mine.  Again, it seems that Winchester seems to be only a brand name, not a special model.  Still, I find my 3 inch $12 model to be adequate for light work. :tool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%