Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2013 damascus Explorer poll (help)

Ross · 16 · 1311

Poll

what should I do? Should I.....

Use?
15 (60%)
Keep for a shelf Queen?
3 (12%)
Or try and find some money for a second one and have one of each?
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

gb Offline Ross

2013 damascus Explorer poll (help)
on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:49 PM
I love this knife - I know this is a tool that its purpose is to be used and I really want to use it it feels like its screaming out to me to use (and if I did would probably use it full time) BUT I don't want ruin or lose it and every time I see an old mint condition red Alox i am like  :drool: :drool:, so am thinking ahead 30 years?

I do not intend to ever sell this knife BTW.

Does anyone else who has only one of these or previous damascus use theirs?

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Re: 2013 damascus Explorer poll (help)
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:47:03 PM
I would use it.
With 7,000pcs I think it will be a very long time before it's a rare knife.
And I doubt the value will increase anywhere near like the Damascus 2010 Pioneer did.

gb Offline Ross

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:14 PM
I would use it.
With 7,000pcs I think it will be a very long time before it's a rare knife.
And I doubt the value will increase anywhere near like the Damascus 2010 Pioneer did.
Yeah I am not to worried about the value increasing - In fact I don't care about this aspect, I would just hate to damage or lose the thing - IS SOOO NICE (imo).

Using it would give it more character though  :think:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:52:34 PM
What's the "value" you get out of it sitting in a drawer, versus the "value" you might get out of using it?

Seems to me that the collectors I look up to are those that cherish their items *and* use them, even though the use may be sparing, possibly spread out between multiple items, and with some degree of reverence/care.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:03:56 PM
This is all reason why I often get multiples of items I use, even when they aren't limited items. Things I use the most, an extra is there in case I lose it, and I don't have to be without it while I find another back up.

I carry and use a red alox, old cross Pioneer. I have...several sitting in their boxes untouched. I like looking at them, as it's cool to have a mint sample of a piece of history. Similarly, I have multiple alox Soldiers, Wenger SI's, etc. I like using them, so I keep one in a box for times I want to remember what it was like before the scratches, dents, sharpening, etc.  I find enjoyment in both ends of the spectrum, so I often try to accommodate it.

Of course, it's not always fiscally viable or wise, but that's what addiction and hobbyism sometimes requires. ;)

I hope you find the answer you're looking for. While I don't have a Damascus SAK, I do have a Kershaw Tilt that will never see a pocket or any use. That's the only one I've got, and its a shelf queen forever.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:10:57 PM
I actually think that the price will go down in time, as there are just too many of them on the market.
So, using it is the best option. Also, the handles are oak, which is a hardwood, and it is very resistant to use. It will get a patina, and it will discolor, but imho, that is the charm of this knife.

I keep my Alox in a sheath when I carry them, it keep the anodizing up to sniff.
Colored Alox loose in a pocket with a key ring is a sin. Except for 58mm models, they belong on a keyring.  :D
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline burnside

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:13:47 PM
This is all reason why I often get multiples of items I use, even when they aren't limited items. Things I use the most, an extra is there in case I lose it, and I don't have to be without it while I find another back up.

I carry and use a red alox, old cross Pioneer. I have...several sitting in their boxes untouched. I like looking at them, as it's cool to have a mint sample of a piece of history. Similarly, I have multiple alox Soldiers, Wenger SI's, etc. I like using them, so I keep one in a box for times I want to remember what it was like before the scratches, dents, sharpening, etc.  I find enjoyment in both ends of the spectrum, so I often try to accommodate it.

This ^  :tu:

The old cross red Pioneer with brass liner is probably my favorite alox SAK model. I carry two of them (both of which I acquired used). I also have one that is NIB which is kept for back up just in case I lose or damage one of the others. I might even start pocketing and using the NIB one just so that I can have one that has only been used by myself from the start.

As far as the damascus Explorer goes, I cannot justify using or collecting one at the price point it's at now. If I had that kind of cash to spare on a user, I'm still not sure that I could justify using or collecting it (this is purely a personal thing). If it was a gift, then yes, I would definitely make it a user. It sure looks nice in any case. If it's something you can personally manage as far as the price goes, then I say go for it and make a user out of it.

If you can afford it, and you don't mind doing so, then get two. Keep one as a user, and the other as a shelf queen or as back up. Maybe in the future it will sky rocket in value, and you can flip it for a profit if you feel inclined to do so.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:19:46 PM by burnside »

gb Offline Ross

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:04 PM
I like looking at them, as it's cool to have a mint sample of a piece of history. Similarly, I have multiple alox Soldiers, Wenger SI's, etc. I like using them, so I keep one in a box for times I want to remember what it was like before the scratches, dents, sharpening, etc.  I find enjoyment in both ends of the spectrum, so I often try to accommodate it.

Of course, it's not always fiscally viable or wise, but that's what addiction and hobbyism sometimes requires. ;)
I quite agree with this, I take pleasure from both using and look at my SAK's - my Silver Cross Farmer is just for looking at as a reminder what such a knife looks like brad new.

I think I know the answer I am looking for - I just need to convince myself hahaha  :whistle: - One thing is for sure this is my first wood scale and by no means will it by my last  :face palm:

I actually think that the price will go down in time, as there are just too many of them on the market.
So, using it is the best option. Also, the handles are oak, which is a hardwood, and it is very resistant to use. It will get a patina, and it will discolor, but imho, that is the charm of this knife.

The future value is not important to me, I just love how it looks brand new in the box - but when I have a play with it it screams use me lol - AND I must say seeing your pic of yours makes it look even more  :drool: - How long have you been using yours microbe

As it goes I used the corkscrew tonight on it - just to make sure it worked  :drink:

us Offline burnside

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:28:46 PM
The future value is not important to me, I just love how it looks brand new in the box - but when I have a play with it it screams use me lol - AND I must say seeing your pic of yours makes it look even more  :drool:
As it goes I used the corkscrew tonight on it - just to make sure it worked  :drink:

In that case, I say use it and get another one to drool over it's freshness!  :drool:

Now I want one as a user!  :rant: :rofl: :facepalm:  :D

gb Offline Ross

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:34 PM
The old cross red Pioneer with brass liner is probably my favorite alox SAK model. I carry two of them (both of which I acquired used). I also have one that is NIB which is kept for back up just in case I lose or damage one of the others. I might even start pocketing and using the NIB one just so that I can have one that has only been used by myself from the start.
You old cross red Pioneer with brass liner is soo  :drool: BTW

Now I want one as a user!  :rant: :rofl: :facepalm:  :D
lol Sorry burnside  :facepalm:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:55 PM
I am voting for use...
  • IMHO - All tools in a collection should be used
  • Having two is just too expensive
However I have a Damascus Climber - I am sure I will never sell it - but I  am paranoid about loosing it or damaging its incredibly beautiful looks.
So it just gets carried on very safe, undemanding days - eg in pocket around the house or office!!  :)
For the Explorer the handles really do seem to improve with use - nice photos in the Explorer thread - and comments above - So definitely 'use' !!!
But it's really all about personal choice and intention  :D

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:42:35 PM
I like looking at them, as it's cool to have a mint sample of a piece of history. Similarly, I have multiple alox Soldiers, Wenger SI's, etc. I like using them, so I keep one in a box for times I want to remember what it was like before the scratches, dents, sharpening, etc.  I find enjoyment in both ends of the spectrum, so I often try to accommodate it.

I quite agree with this, I take pleasure from both using and look at my SAK's - my Silver Cross Farmer is just for looking at as a reminder what such a knife looks like brad new.

I think I know the answer I am looking for - I just need to convince myself hahaha  :whistle: - One thing is for sure this is my first wood scale and by no means will it by my last  :face palm:

The future value is not important to me, I just love how it looks brand new in the box - but when I have a play with it it screams use me lol - AND I must say seeing your pic of yours makes it look even more  :drool: - How long have you been using yours microbe

Cheers on the corkscrew test!  :drink:
I got mine with christmas last year, almost clocking 3 months. I would guess it was in my pocket 2/3 of the whole time.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 01:59:32 AM
I took sandpaper to mine, and i user it and approve it for heavy use.  I will buy another one some day soon, just for fun.

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
There's plenty of them on the market for it not to be collectible yet. Use it and love it  :)
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:49 PM
Just buy more and then you could use one of them... :whistle:
Leatherman

gb Offline Ross

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:11 PM
So I know you are all desperate to know  :rofl: - I have decided to make mine a user.

Since I made the decision I could not be happier - This is the knife that I am going to be using for a long long time - Just love it. Thanks for all your input guys  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%