Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[MUT] Possibility of disassembling plastic assets without disfunction ?

Offline droidpiggy

Poor English, sorry, you might understand me.
I hate plastic(or resin, whatever not metal) assets on my EDC.

Offline droidpiggy

Well
I got one and deassembled these plastic assets. The answer is YES.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Glad you figured it out, and congrats on your new MUT. Sorry no one answered you, but welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

de Offline Teletin

• PVD-coated member
Yes.....some pics please :tu: I`m really curious which parts of the MUT made of plastic because I like to buy a MUT too.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Wow missed this. Welcome!
Would like to see some pics too.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gee, I hope he comes back.... :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline lanedecamp

I'm not sure exactly what he had in mind, but we wanted to do some mods of the MUT and MUT EOD. The only plastic is the liner behind the bronze scraper tool and the C4 punch (or AR punch on the MUT). Not clear why Leatherman did those in a khaki color but they stick out and yes, look fugly. And the liner for the C4 punch is slightly different from the one for the AR punch so if you want to swap tools (simply a matter of unscrewing them from the 8-32 stub thread and screwing on the new one), the swapped tool will not nest properly.

However, we found that on the MUTs and MUT EODs we had in hand, these liners were held by pins and while those could be drilled out and replaced, it wasn't a matter tackled with a screwdriver. The pins were also secure enough that the plastic got messed up while taking them out. If you don't have the liner, the tool tends to rattle around and simply doesn't look right. If the poster above was able to do it, he was either more daring than us or there's another variant of one of the tools so he could pull the plastic and replace it. Or, of course, he just wanted to get rid of the plastic and was OK with the consequences.

We did also want to dye the plastic black so it didn't stand out on what is otherwise almost entirely a black tool. This isn't hard, and even a Sharpie will darken the plastic pretty well and retain the dye. We got a better result painting the exposed plastic with black Homestead dye (from www.woodcraft.com) and then rinsing it off well so nothing came off on your hands -- it's a very pernicious dye so be sure to rinse the whole tool very well or you get dye on your hands, pants, whatever.

Offline droidpiggy

Thank you all!

Here are some pics.

t10-t7.jpg: about puncher: use T10 screw driver to unset puncher, and T7 to unset plastic asset along puncher, then drag it out;

puncher.jpg: reset the screw of puncher;

scraper.jpg: the same way as above, but it is difficult to unset the scraper(said must be heated by hair dryer before), so I just unset the screw of the asset, then pull it out.

batch.jpg: just unset 2 screws then drag the asset out
t10-t7.jpg
* t10-t7.jpg (Filesize: 206.86 KB)
puncher.jpg
* puncher.jpg (Filesize: 179.95 KB)
scraper.jpg
* scraper.jpg (Filesize: 189.04 KB)
batch.jpg
* batch.jpg (Filesize: 172.03 KB)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:14:21 AM by droidpiggy »

Offline droidpiggy

Now, I got a real Iron Man without silk panties dressed outside...
side1-50.jpg
* side1-50.jpg (Filesize: 283.21 KB)
side2-50.jpg
* side2-50.jpg (Filesize: 304.95 KB)
side-1-1-50.jpg
* side-1-1-50.jpg (Filesize: 288.72 KB)
side-2-1-50.jpg
* side-2-1-50.jpg (Filesize: 285.57 KB)

Offline droidpiggy

A bad result of unsetting these assets: these two backup-screws will be loose in their holders, and a little bit easier to be lost when you open the puncher or scraper.

But as to me I don't use them, just put them in my tool-box.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
That does make it look tougher.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00