Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade Show 2008 - Gerber Booth

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Blade Show 2008 - Gerber Booth
on: June 02, 2008, 03:31:35 AM
With Gerber I was a little hesitant, I have only owned a few of them and even though decent i don't own any of my own now to speak off. I feel part of me might be a non Gerber kind of guy but I want that to change, I really do! So off to the booth I went and spoke with the reps behind the desk. They mentioned how popular the FliK was and that its really the hot tool these days, I obviously had to see what all the talk was about. After playing around with it I think I could like it more than any other Gerber in the past, the company seems to be making a name for themselves (sometimes good and bad I admit) and I appluad them. I am definatly interested in the FliK and hope to get one at some point in time. Here are some pics I took of the FliK.

Gerber has a new knife/tool hybrid (the Surefire Delta comes to mind), the Obsidian seems to be a pretty cool knife and the tool functions appeared to be something like that off of the Clutch, for a knife guy that would like the occasional driver this would be good.

The only NEW items that they wanted to talked to me about in any depth was the Ripstop and the Evo, both appear to be the same tool, the only difference being a titanium finish. I asked the gentleman the difference and they honestly could not tell me, so upon closer inspection they seemed to be the same tool, basically  ::)

They seemed pretty pumped but after playing with the FliK I was left wanting more....here are some pics of the new Evo and Ripstop (Evo is the black one BTW)

Do these look the same? If they dont then please let me know and I will fix this. :twak:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Blade Show 2008 - Gerber Booth
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:44:21 AM
The EVO and Ripstop are the latest incarnations of the Resolve, Suspension etc models.  They are all the same, just dressed a little different from each other, and designed to be sold at Wal Mart and Home Depot type places.

I wouldn't waste too much effort trying to find the differences between them if I were you.

By the way, the Flik actually closes better than the ones you have pictured here- the little clips between the handles that are holding them apart in the photos actually interlock to hold the handles together when closed.

They are also part of the same mechanism that was complained about in this thread:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4910.0.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:46 AM
I was very disappointed with the flick, I mentioned before it was dull but it might better be described as not finished in the grinding, the edge is very rough and the dullest serrated blade i have ever owned, which is hundreds.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:32:59 PM
I am pretty impressed with my Flik.. I like how well the serrated blade cuts.. Oh, and didn't the wood saw look MUCH more aggressive in the pics?
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:57:26 AM
Gerber must get frustrated with people like us. For years we grouse and complain about the way their tools rattle, the way the handles pinch our palms, and how slow it is to access the knife blade on a Gerber. So in response they launch this major engineering effort to solve all those problems, with the result finally culminating in the Flik.

.....and then we tell them we liked the old tools better. :P :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:23 PM
Gerber must get frustrated with people like us. For years we grouse and complain about the way their tools rattle, the way the handles pinch our palms, and how slow it is to access the knife blade on a Gerber. So in response they launch this major engineering effort to solve all those problems, with the result finally culminating in the Flik.

Not half as frustrated as I am with them ..... :
You build them up then they shoot themselves in the foot with those butterfly's.   :twak:

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 01:45:51 AM

Not half as frustrated as I am with them ..... :
You build them up then they shoot themselves in the foot with those butterfly's.   :twak:

Dave

I agree they are compromising their quality name with the Suspension and clones.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%