Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The never ending Addiction...

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The never ending Addiction...
Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:09 AM
After a few months of halfway furious buying and then a weekend of furious buying, I think I am content for a bit- I have hit all my goals and then some.  Plus the deals I was seeing last year are no longer available, too many people are hunting and pricing things up and up.  So I find I am checking the normal places less and less. 

But then again, I now have 5 or 6 people asking me to get them somewhat undefined Year of X in undefined numbers so that may be enough hunting and buying for me.  At around $75 a pop including shipping, I don't think I have enough petty cash for all these, lol. When someone says "Yeah, and I'd like all of them except these 3, and I can only afford 1 or 2 at a time," I am a bit unsure how to go forward.  Esp is they only have three posts.  But if someone is in the No Life Club (like me) at least I know they can handle the heat!

What you may need to do is require a substantial deposit, in order to cover yourself. You're doing this as a favor for others and there's no sense in getting burned.

For what its worth, I've dealt with John (papercut) twice, and been very satisfied both times.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:44 AM
Not a bad idea, I need to check what I can get and make a master list for folks.  Enough people are interested so I might need to make a matrix :p
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:02:45 AM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 10:15:03 AM
But then again, I now have 5 or 6 people asking me to get them somewhat undefined Year of X in undefined numbers so that may be enough hunting and buying for me.  At around $75 a pop including shipping, I don't think I have enough petty cash for all these, lol. When someone says "Yeah, and I'd like all of them except these 3, and I can only afford 1 or 2 at a time," I am a bit unsure how to go forward.  Esp is they only have three posts. But if someone is in the No Life Club (like me) at least I know they can handle the heat!

What you may need to do is require a substantial deposit, in order to cover yourself. You're doing this as a favor for others and there's no sense in getting burned.

For what its worth, I've dealt with John (papercut) twice, and been very satisfied both times.

There is no reason to put yourself at a financial disadvantage for someone you don't "know" and therefore can't really trust 100%.  If you have any doubts, ask for the money up front (before you buy the knife for them), that way you won't get caught out paying for a knife someone no longer wants/can afford. 

If someone is doing me a favour then I have no problem sending them the money first so they can use it to make the purchase with, I'm just happy to get whatever it is they are helping me with :mail:

If they are unwilling/unable to pay up front then you are probably better off not taking the risk and simply not dealing with them.

The risks are less in a close-knit family like MTo, but there are still risks nevertheless.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 07:01:08 PM
Why to collect SAKs:

- They are an outstanding example of industrial design.
- They are well made.
- They are reasonably priced (normally).
- They are not fragile.
- They don't take up a lot of space.
- They don't smell up the house.
- There are a tremendous variety of them.
- What ever their value as a collectible, they will always have utility value as a tool.
- They place you in the select company of an intelligent, adaptable, and altogether admirable cognoscenti.
- They are NEAT.

Thanks for justiying my disease.

Jim

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 07:11:33 PM
There does come a time when you have reached critical mass and you are forced to slow down. Not sure if that is any consolation to any of you however.  >:D  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21