Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Flik, my initial impression.

Dale · 29 · 4739

us Offline Dale

Gerber Flik, my initial impression.
on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:57 PM
Gerber Flik

Features

V-cut wire cutters
Opening assist for smaller tools
Outboard heavy duty tools
Components:
needle nose pliers
pinch style wire cutter
saw blade
can opener
cross driver
fine edge blade
scissors
small and medium flat drivers
bottle opener
serrated knife

I bought the Flik as an impulse buy. It's looks are what first caught my eye. It like any other MT is going to have Pro's & Con's. It's not in the league with the 'Heavy Duty' MTs. ( ST300 & Swisstool ). If rating the Flik, my opinion would put it somewhere in the Light to Medium duty range. But non the less it is a pretty decent performer.
 I carried it much of the week & got to test it a bit. I slipped a fan belt on my Mack Wednesday. As I hung in over the engine to cut the belt. I thought.. Well.. Here's where I break it... The reverse Tanto blade sliced thru the belt with no issues. I was fairly impressed. Next the V cutters. Loading a 53' tip trailer I noticed a cable hanging out the back of the trailer. The V cutters snipped the cable like it was butter.The scissors are Fiskars so they work flawlessly
 . The downside are the small tools. & they are SMALL. To me the small drivers are the Achilles heel of this tool. They are so small as to be useless. But I hardly ever use them so it's a non issue for me. The gadget factor is off the charts on the Flik tho.. for me it's one of the coolest looking MT's out there. Even with the needle nose extending while in the case. ( on my belt ) I still like the Flik & plan to use it as my EDC.

Just my two cents. If you catch one at the right price. Grab it, you won't be disappointed.  :D

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Gerber Flik, my initial impression.
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:06 PM
I was very disappointed in the Flik. I just looked on Amazon and IMO, approx. $40 USD is way too much to pay for what you get. Now, if they fix the drivers to work my opinion may change, but without them it's useless to me...
SAW

us Offline Dale

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:34 PM
I was very disappointed in the Flik. I just looked on Amazon and IMO, approx. $40 USD is way too much to pay for what you get. Now, if they fix the drivers to work my opinion may change, but without them it's useless to me...

I can understand that. If you need drivers. This is not a tool you would go to.

us Offline sawman

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:53:45 PM

However, there's no disputing that the MP600 is a superb MT. I would gladly carry one without reservation.
SAW

us Offline Dale

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:29 PM

However, there's no disputing that the MP600 is a superb MT. I would gladly carry one without reservation.

Agreed... but then you get into size difference.

us Offline Dale

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:51 PM
Actually , not that big of a difference. ( Had to look )

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:14:25 PM by Dale »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:10:44 PM
I usually don't have a need for drivers all that often, so I wouldn't mind having one of these.  You get the awesome Gerber flickiness, and outside opening blades.  I also like how Gerber has what tool is where engraved on the handles.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 04:11:37 PM
The flik is worth $40 and then some. It is one sweet tool. Glad you like Dale.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Dale

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:43:37 PM
I actually paid a little under $40. If you haunt Ebay you can catch them at quite reasonable prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Flik-Multi-Plier-Needlenose-Stainless-/251455864625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8befff31
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:00:02 PM by Dale »

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:23 PM
I agree with Dale, and i would like to add, again, that the serrated blade on the Flik is wonderful at work.
Antonio

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:40 PM
Thanks for the write up Dale.  :tu:

While I do need the drivers often if I can find one for a great price I would probably pick one up. Im not much for the newer style tools and am more of a traditional tool guy, but the Flik ergonomics appeal to me for some unknown reason.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Dale

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:21:22 AM
That's what made me get one...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:07 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and pics Dale. :cheers:

I am a unashamed Flik fan.  IMO all MTs have compromises of one type or another, for the Flik it's the length of the screwdrivers.  I will say that the flat drivers are well formed, but definitely short.  Also the can opener is woeful.  And yet there is a lot more it does well; one of the only serrated blades I like, excellent scissors, all outside accessible tools.....the list goes on.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 10:20:01 AM
I just don't understand how you guys can use that style of multi-tool. Every one I've used like that (which is only a couple), if the pliers slip while you're using them, you pinch your palm and get a blood blister!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
I just don't understand how you guys can use that style of multi-tool. Every one I've used like that (which is only a couple), if the pliers slip while you're using them, you pinch your palm and get a blood blister!

Mr. Pinchy has his victims. Flick handles spread when it is opened properally, so it won't bite even if it slips.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 12:08:59 PM
Actually the only MT that I ever have problems with pinching my hand is the LM Wave.  The place where the OH blade and the file or saw meet just seems designed to do it. ::)

The original Multi-Pier certainly had it's problems, but none of my other, later, sliding headed Gerber's have ever given my a nip.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 11:14:15 PM
Actually the only MT that I ever have problems with pinching my hand is the LM Wave.  The place where the OH blade and the file or saw meet just seems designed to do it. ::)

The original Multi-Pier certainly had it's problems, but none of my other, later, sliding headed Gerber's have ever given my a nip.

Never done it myself but my Wave has given someone else blood blisters exactly that way.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 07:51:23 AM

Never done it myself but my Wave has given someone else blood blisters exactly that way.

Cheers Tom. :)  It's good to know I'm not the only numpty who has managed to do it. :doh:

us Offline Dale

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 12:25:03 AM
I gotta say.. I am pretty impressed with this Flik.. I've been beating it up for a couple weeks & it's hanging right in there.

Offline jdindadell

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:24:21 AM
Maybe the stainless version is better but the black version I have is not very good.  Most of it seems to be painted and that paint makes the tools hard to deploy.  The stubby drivers are a joke.  Compared to any leatherman,  sog, or vic the gerber is not worth what they charge.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:15:23 AM
Maybe the stainless version is better but the black version I have is not very good.  Most of it seems to be painted and that paint makes the tools hard to deploy.  The stubby drivers are a joke.  Compared to any leatherman,  sog, or vic the gerber is not worth what they charge.
I think it depends on which leatherman/sog/vic you consider. The Flik can be found at a very nice price. 
Antonio

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:05 PM
I suspect this is a classic case of "horses for courses", different people have different needs.  I work as a building maintenance engineer and use the screwdrivers on any MT day-in-day-out.  I successfully managed to carry a Flik for months at a time without becoming remotely frustrated. :shrug:

I also guess it depends on how much you paid for it.  Here in the UK it can routinely be had for very nearly half the cost of a LM Wave, a bit of a bargain IMO.

Offline jdindadell

Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 11:59:09 PM
I think it depends on which leatherman/sog/vic you consider. The Flik can be found at a very nice price.

Comparing the Flik to a Wingman, I still feel the Leatherman is better.  Unless you need the one handed opening pliers.  The Flik just does not seem to be up to the quality standards set by Leatherman.  Maybe it is just me, aside from the freehand I have not been impressed with any of Gerber's offerings.  And the drivers on the freehand are also comically small.  The MP600 series are just not useable as there in no space between the handles when the pliers are shut, no room for the pinky, so they cannot be opened one handed after they are deployed.  They need to put spring loaded jaws in those.

Offline jdindadell

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 12:02:16 AM
I suspect this is a classic case of "horses for courses", different people have different needs.  I work as a building maintenance engineer and use the screwdrivers on any MT day-in-day-out.  I successfully managed to carry a Flik for months at a time without becoming remotely frustrated. :shrug:

I also guess it depends on how much you paid for it.  Here in the UK it can routinely be had for very nearly half the cost of a LM Wave, a bit of a bargain IMO.

Very true, one man's junk is another man's treasure.  I paid around 30 for the flik and my cheapest wave was 40 shipped.  Both new.  The Flik cannot compare to the wave, I would saw the wingman/sidekick are closer (but still better) in quality and size.  The Flik plierhead is small, about the size of a SOG PPP.  Just not mu cup of tea.   

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:51:38 AM
I find the Flik almost as infuriatingly disappointing as the Juice

I like the pliers, love the scissors, don't mind the saw, and would like the blades if they didn't arrive covered in fash.
The drivers (and the ridiculous can opener) are a joke IMO, though I know Gareth uses them quite successfully

The latching mechanism is the biggest stumbling block for me. It's a nice idea, VERY badly executed. The pawl should be one piece, not two stamped pieces side by side. As it is, it's a lottery as to whether you get one that latches properly depending how snugly the two pieces sit next to each other. Mine was a complete disaster in this respect, and rendered the tool pretty much unusable.

Had the pliers latched out properly, I might forgive the shortcomings (pun intended) of the drivers.

They didn't, and I don't!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:45 AM
I didn't like mine either so I sold it years ago.
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:16 PM
I really like my Flik, although thanks to this ongoing minimalist challenge, I'm not able to actually use it for a little while longer.  Just curious Dale:  Are you still carrying the Flik as your EDC?
K-Tibbs

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:31 PM
I can't find the flik fisherman. all sold?

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:28 PM
I can't find the flik fisherman. all sold?

Yes, discontinued... Some can be found occationally at fleabay...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%