Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WWI German Multitool

ph Offline dmanuel

WWI German Multitool
on: March 10, 2014, 02:07:04 PM
Dunno anything about it or the seller but I found it interesting enough to pass it on!

WWI German Multitool

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: WWI German Multitool
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up   :tu:

It's an interesting kit, but I am a bit skeptical about it being "WW1 or earlier" as claimed by the seller.  What do the experts think ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:26:46 PM
Such kits were made as early as that, but am not sure about this specific one. Let's ask in the collectors forum, there's a rather active thread about such kits there.

I'll move this thread to the collectors forum for better viewing.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:26:30 PM
It could possibly be pre-WWII but more likely post war.The seller states that it is Swiss made but does not give the maker's name.I have quite a few of these kits and the vast majority were made in Germany.That looks like it could have been made by Bontgin & Sabin(Bonsa).Some closeups of the insert ends of the tools and the handle would help.Looks like a nice complete set but the price is ridiculous.On a good day it might bring $75.Just my opinion folks.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:12:19 AM
I know nothing about these things but when I saw it I figured it was worth passing on cause someone here might like it. At the very least y'all might have a chance to make fun of it for the price lol

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 01:20:11 AM
Looks like it was made by Crown Cutlery Co. Company

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:47 AM
Didn't see the marking before I replied.Checked a reference and there are two Crown Cutlery Co.'s listed.One is a wholesale importer in New York of goods made in Austria and Germany from about 1910 to the early 1920's;so this set could have been made prior to WWI. The other is a USA based manufacturer of about the same era.I stand corrected.
I know there were a number of manufacturers that made these tool sets and each had a different method of attaching tools.This particular style sems to be characteristic of German manufacturers;Bonsa and Hugo Berns being the two most common.Here is a pic of the Bonsa kit with added multi-tool hammer/hatchet.
Bonsa1.jpg
* Bonsa1.jpg (Filesize: 122.57 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88