Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CyberTool owners thread

sawman · 447 · 59763

nz Offline moonweasel

Re: CyberTool owners thread
Reply #180 on: September 13, 2016, 01:16:26 PM
My forest green Cybertool is MIA, I'm hoping buried in my van somewhere, but I suspect it is out there making someone elses day that much easier.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #181 on: September 21, 2016, 01:45:12 AM
Couldn't think quite where I'd left my normal small screwdriver set today when I needed to open up a laptop to tinker with the insides.  CyberTool Lite to the rescue  :D.  Not the easiest thing to spin to unscrew them, but definitely a win overall.  It has reinforced my view that I'd rather the CT was in a slimmer overall configuration, so will be working on that as time permits  ;).

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #182 on: September 21, 2016, 04:02:10 AM
I want to join the club, but am unsure if I can find any that fit into my non-redundancy sak philosophy

Ideally it should be something along the lines of:
Pliers, bit driver, mag+lite layer and backspring phillips with traveller scales.

That can't possibly be an expensive endeavour  :D
-tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #183 on: September 21, 2016, 01:14:33 PM
Hi - am thinking of joining the Cybertool club and buying a Cybertool 29 - I don't really want the extra bulk of the small pliers and scissors on the knife and don't really need these, just the bit driver.

I have a few questions, though:

1) I've found somewhere in the UK (where I live) that for an extra £5 can supply the Cybertool with solid red, black, racing green, blue, bright yellow, or pure white scales, in addition to the standard translucent jelly red or sapphire colours - I actually prefer my SAKs in solid colours (or Alox, but that's not an option here) - which do you think would be best to go for? Red is always a classic, but racing green also quite appeals, or even black, though may that's too boring?

See: http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-29/

2) It's not essential, but how easy would it be to swap out the corkscrew (which I don't like on my SAKs) for the Phillips #2 screwdriver? Would potentially mean I could carry one of the other bits available (e.g. Small hex ir torx) instead of the #2 bit.?

3) How many standard layers thickness is the too relatively? Would it fit in a knife sheath meant for 2-4 layers, for when I want to belt carry it/for storage? Would there also be room to store 2-3 extra bits?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:39:51 PM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #184 on: September 21, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
1) which do you think would be best to go for?

White. 8)

2) It's not essential, but how easy would it be to swap out the corkscrew (which I don't like on my SAKs) for the Phillips #2 screwdriver? Would potentially mean I could carry one of the other bits available (e.g. Small hex ir torx) instead of the #2 bit.?

Relatively easy.  You'll need to get some 2.2mm or 2.25mm diameter brass rod, and have a read of this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9808.0.html and this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,44794.0.html

3) How many standard layers thickness is the too relatively? Would it fit in a knife sheath meant for 2-4 layers, for when I want to belt carry it/for storage? Would there also be room to store 2-3 extra bits?

SAKWiki (http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cybertool) reckons it's 21mm thick - a little more than an Explorer.  No idea about if will actually fit into a 2-4 layer sheath - but it probably will.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #185 on: September 21, 2016, 01:42:36 PM
I love this thread. Along with a Swisschamp, the CT is the only SAK on my list to get. I'd probably go for a 29 or more likely 34 as I don't have anything with pliers. They are such a good idea.

Thanks for the great pics everyone.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #186 on: September 21, 2016, 01:47:03 PM
I love this thread. Along with a Swisschamp, the CT is the only SAK on my list to get. I'd probably go for a 29 or more likely 34 as I don't have anything with pliers. They are such a good idea.

Get in on the Minimal SAK challenge and you could win a Cybertool 41. :pok: :pok:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #187 on: September 21, 2016, 01:47:50 PM
I don't think I've posted my latest SAK in this thread:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #188 on: September 21, 2016, 01:52:07 PM

Get in on the Minimal SAK challenge and you could win a Cybertool 41. :pok: :pok:
I'm on it like Graham Bonnet H  :salute:

Yours is looking sweet as usual  :cheers:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #189 on: September 21, 2016, 01:56:58 PM
1) I've found somewhere in the UK (where I live) that for an extra £5 can supply the Cybertool with solid red, black, racing green, blue, bright yellow, or pure white scales, in addition to the standard translucent jelly red or sapphire colours - I actually prefer my SAKs in solid colours (or Alox, but that's not an option here) - which do you think would be best to go for? Red is always a classic, but racing green also quite appeals, or even black, though may that's too boring?

I'd go for green as it's the one colour of scale you can't buy separately.

You may want to check out that seller's Trustpilot reviews: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.swisstool.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:58:09 PM by shibafu »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #190 on: September 21, 2016, 02:00:33 PM
Hi - am thinking of joining the Cybertool club and buying a Cybertool 29 - I don't really want the extra bulk of the small pliers and scissors on the knife and don't really need these, just the bit driver.

I have a few questions, though:

Thanks!
I'd highly recommend Yellow. Hard to lose sight of and mine bring a smile to my face every time I look at them.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #191 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:03 PM

You may want to check out that seller's Trustpilot reviews: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.swisstool.co.uk

Okay, racing green is currently top of my list, though the white does look quite cool and solid red is still a classic look.

The Trustpilot reviews look quite worrying, though I have bough a few bits and pieces off that site before and not had problems. Most of the problems seem to be related to personalisation, though, which I have no interest in.

BTW is it just me or is the hook tool, as featured on the CT 34 and 41, one of the most useless tools ever put on a SAK?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #192 on: September 21, 2016, 02:29:06 PM

Okay, racing green is currently top of my list, though the white does look quite cool and solid red is still a classic look.

The Trustpilot reviews look quite worrying, though I have bough a few bits and pieces off that site before and not had problems. Most of the problems seem to be related to personalisation, though, which I have no interest in.

BTW is it just me or is the hook tool, as featured on the CT 34 and 41, one of the most useless tools ever put on a SAK?
It is just you  :D It regularly tops the '10 most useful SAK tools' in polls.

Seriously though - it casn be very useful in certain circumstances. I found it a briiliant help while building a chicken coop - it's great for retrieving and pulling wire through holes, and for carrying plastic bags.

Also, watch 'Moonrise Kingdom' by Wes Anderson for a novel and tounge-in-cheek use of the hook.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #193 on: September 21, 2016, 02:53:42 PM
BTW how easy would it be to change the scales? Are they glued on or do they just snap on/off?

I don't normally like the translucent scales, but these Silvertech ones look great!: http://swissknifeshop.co.uk/shop/victorinox-scales-for-91mm-swiss-army-knife-genuine-swiss-victorinox-handles/

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #195 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:09 PM
What I'd really love is a Cyber "Solo" - just the bit driver and bit holder layer, as I have better knives I'd rather carry for knife duties - how feasible would that be to Mod?  Realistically, for now at least, I'll probably just get the CT 29

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #196 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:23 PM

I would advise against this, actually.  The the backspring phillips is not a good substitution for the #2 bit.  The bit has considerably better grip, better fitment, and better reach.

My scale color preference is black, but I like the translucent red that it comes in just fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:21:28 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #197 on: September 21, 2016, 03:40:46 PM
have a read of this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9808.0.html

So the scales should just pop on/off? Will I still be able to access the pen and pin with aftermarket scales?

:pok: :pok:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #198 on: September 21, 2016, 03:47:25 PM
Yes, they'll just pop off.  It's a bit easier and you're less likely to damage them if you warm the knife gently first.

As long as you get plus scales then you can fit the pen.  The pin hole has been on all recent non-plus scales I've seen lately.  Though it depends what you mean by aftermarket - there are scales made by companies other than Victorinox out there.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #199 on: September 21, 2016, 04:06:06 PM
Yes, they'll just pop off.  It's a bit easier and you're less likely to damage them if you warm the knife gently first.

As long as you get plus scales then you can fit the pen.  The pin hole has been on all recent non-plus scales I've seen lately.  Though it depends what you mean by aftermarket - there are scales made by companies other than Victorinox out there.

Thanks. Do you mean to warm the whole of the knife you're taking the scales off, or just the blade of the knife you're using to pop-off the scales?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #200 on: September 21, 2016, 04:07:52 PM
The whole knife.  It softens the plastic scales a little.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #201 on: September 21, 2016, 04:12:10 PM
The whole knife.  It softens the plastic scales a little.

Okay, thanks

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #202 on: September 21, 2016, 07:19:39 PM
What I'd really love is a Cyber "Solo" - just the bit driver and bit holder layer, as I have better knives I'd rather carry for knife duties - how feasible would that be to Mod?  Realistically, for now at least, I'll probably just get the CT 29

It would be dreamy except I cant see how the bit driver layer can accomodate a corkscrew/phillips and this would leave an unsightly gap in the rear scale.  :think:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:25:42 PM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #203 on: September 21, 2016, 08:25:11 PM
BTW does the bit driver on the Cybertool have a proper half-stop (semi-lock) at the 90 degree position, like the bottle opener tool? It's not clear from the description on SAKWiki: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Bit+Driver

It just says "The driver is designed for use in the fully open or fully extended position, as well as in the 90deg position where it forms a right-angle with the knife handle.", but I don't know whether that means there is a proper half stop at 90 degrees

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #204 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:21 PM
Yes, it has a half-stop.
- Terry

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #205 on: September 21, 2016, 10:09:48 PM
Yes, it has a half-stop.

Great, thanks, good to know

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #206 on: September 21, 2016, 10:42:18 PM

Nice Hi :dd: The scales make it seem so much fancier :like:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #207 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:25 PM

Where did you get those scales from, they look different from the "pure white" scales I found here:  http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-29/

The cross looks different for a start, see examples here: http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/spartan-white-swiss-army-knife/

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #208 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:57 PM

Thanks Poncho.   :salute:  Much prefer them to the translucent blue that it was fitted with.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #209 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:05 PM
Where did you get those scales from, they look different from the "pure white" scales I found here:  http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-29/

The cross looks different for a start, see examples here: http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/spartan-white-swiss-army-knife/

They were a gift from a member in the US - but as far as I can tell they're totally standard white plus scales with the same cross as all my other SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%