Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The hunt for Alox Colors

Offline RedRamage

The hunt for Alox Colors
on: March 11, 2014, 04:09:48 PM
My first real collecting goal years and years ago was to obtain the complete set of 32 Cellidor colors that Victorinox ever made.  There were only solid color, non-specialty knives (ie... not logo'd).  It was a fun quest that ended up with me getting many duplicates because of bad eBay pictures or poor descriptions, but I eventually found all 32.  (Since that time I've discovered that the brown translucent isn't a real color, but rather a faded Onyx, and the Victorinox has released a SilverTech - clear translucent.  So we're still at 32 total colors.)

Now that Victorinox is started to add different colors of Alox, I'm looking at starting another quest.  Of course, one of the hardest parts of any Swiss Army Knife quest is defining the items that are in the quest.  Different model names between years and countries as well as spotty documentation from the past makes it hard to often know what you need to be looking for in order to get a complete collection.  That's one of the nice things about this forum is being able to share knowledge and get info from others.

To that end, I'm asking for help in defining my next quest.  Namely... what colors of Alox exist??  I've started researching and come up with a list, but I have no idea if it's complete or not.  It's further complicated in that it appears that the colors of 58mm released are different than the colors of larger knives.  Here's what I got:

Chart.jpg
* Chart.jpg (Filesize: 77.63 KB)

Offline RedRamage

Re: The hunt for Alox Colors
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:15:36 PM
That list is based on some info I've gleaned as well as pictures that I've found.

But I have some specific questions.

First: Is the purple 58mm the same as the larger purple?
Second: Same with the blues... Is the blue, light blue, and gunmetal blue of the 58mm the same color are the larger alox knives?
Third: Is the red and blue from the French limited edition alox classics the same as the normal alox red and blue?
84mm Collection.JPG
* 84mm Collection.JPG (Filesize: 108.7 KB)
812x881_Victorinox-SwissBianco Alox Ramblers.jpg
* 812x881_Victorinox-SwissBianco Alox Ramblers.jpg (Filesize: 143.9 KB)
Alox_Classics_600x477.jpg
* Alox_Classics_600x477.jpg (Filesize: 45.6 KB)
DSCN3795_r.jpg
* DSCN3795_r.jpg (Filesize: 180.12 KB)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:15:57 PM
Unless your are swimming in money, you chose the wrong time to pick up colored alox...  sorry.  It can be done though!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Offline RedRamage

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:01 PM
Unless your are swimming in money, you chose the wrong time to pick up colored alox...  sorry.  It can be done though!

Well... the good news is that I usually like to stick with 58mm, which are a little bit cheaper.  The other good news is that I've recently moved some of my older knives and duplicates and things outside my normal area of collection on eBay, so while I'm not swimming in money, I do have some disposable cash right now.

I also expect it'll be a long time quest.  I think the original 32 colors took be upwards of two to three years.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:57:47 PM
Im not too sure about all the colors that ever existed.  I only have the 'standard' colors, nothing from special runs etc.

I couldnt find any other colors of pioneers that werent the limited 50 runs or +b ones.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:09 PM
Thanks for sharing pictures and information.  I did not know there where 32 standard colors.   I have been collecting the Classic SD in festival- the  scales I like anyway.  I just started picking up alox.   Mostly classic and a few cadets.  I like the colors.

This may be helpful:  http://swissknives.info/category/alox-58mm/

Jim

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:36 PM
Here are some of the 58mm alox colors. To add to the confusion some of them were available in both smooth and checkered versions.

IMG_3206.JPG
* IMG_3206.JPG (Filesize: 89.72 KB)
IMG_1902.JPG
* IMG_1902.JPG (Filesize: 59.07 KB)
IMG_1903.JPG
* IMG_1903.JPG (Filesize: 66.14 KB)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:53:02 PM
Your collection sounds cool! Would you mind posting a picture of all 32 cellidor colors?

Offline RedRamage

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:35:01 PM
Here are some of the 58mm alox colors. To add to the confusion some of them were available in both smooth and checkered versions.

Nice ColoSwiss... are those all yours?

Looking at your top picture it looks like 4 different blues (including gunmetal).  Is that right?

There also appears to be three reds (2 in the top row, one in the bottom).  Are those all the same shade?

Offline RedRamage

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:03 PM
Your collection sounds cool! Would you mind posting a picture of all 32 cellidor colors?

Sure... the best pictures I got are on the SAKwiki page:  http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Color+Palette

I've attached another one of the whole collection but it isn't very good color quality.
100_9914.JPG
* 100_9914.JPG (Filesize: 189.68 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:33 PM
John, RedRamage is one of the pioneers of SAKwiki, the one who started it all. :hatsoff:

Offline RedRamage

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:14:38 AM
Thanks for the tip o' the hat enki.  I've been out of the SAK world for a while, but recently got bitten again.  I'm rather pleased to see that not only is the SAKwiki still around, but it's grown and improved substantially since my initial efforts.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:37:11 AM

John, RedRamage is one of the pioneers of SAKwiki, the one who started it all. :hatsoff:
Thanks enki_ck it's nice to know

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:46:24 AM
the usb drives come in a nice assortment of colors, plus they depreciate in price very quickly as the storage volume gets phased out.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:05 AM
Hi Red, good to see you back!

The MiniChamp on the left has a darker blue than the two Classic in the middle. The Classic on the right was a French limited edition called bleufonce (dark blue), but appears to be grey.

The MiniChamp and Drifter have the same color. The Classic on the right is a slightly darker brick red.

IMG_4278.JPG
* IMG_4278.JPG (Filesize: 67.51 KB)
IMG_4280.JPG
* IMG_4280.JPG (Filesize: 79.38 KB)

Offline RedRamage

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 01:35:02 AM
Okay, so four blues (Dark, blue, light, and gunmetal or bluefonce)

And two reds.  Is the one red... the brick red... is that from the French collection too?

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 01:50:28 AM
Okay, so four blues (Dark, blue, light, and gunmetal or bluefonce)

And two reds.  Is the one red... the brick red... is that from the French collection too?

Believe the brick-red Classic was US. The MiniChamp and Drifter might be SwissBianco, but can't swear to it.

There were four colors in the French limited set, two of which appeared to be ones I already had. The other was marron ( brown), shown in the second row of the first shot.

I got them from PrixCanon and it appears they still have them in stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COUTEAU-SUISSE-VICTORINOX-CLASSIC-SD-ALOX-COLOR-AU-CHOIX-5-OUTILS-SERIE-LIMITEE-/321163139536?pt=FR_JG_Sports_Marche_Equipements&var=&hash=item76c6615c54
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:56:19 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline burnside

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 04:16:57 PM
I wish I had a collection of colored Alox like the ones I see here and in the Alox Pox thread. Some of you guys have outstanding collections. Wish I had gotten into this hobby years ago, because all those colored Alox SAKs are super  :drool: -worthy.

do Offline Blade runner

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
I felt very bad when I bought a " like new" old cross Farmer for 100 bucks, a year ago! Now a beated one sells for much more than that!

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:42 PM
Redramage, you hav a great display for those classic sd.   Truly a class act.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:42 PM
Redramage, you hav a great display for those classic sd.   Truly a class act.

Thanks singleshot... It was a fun quest... I mean now when I was doing it of course! Then it was filled with a lot of frustration as I poured through the auctions looking for new colors, and then comparing picture after picture after picture trying to determine if that was a dark blue or a black or just a regular blue without good lighting. 

A lot of time was also spent trying to figure out what colors were actually made and which were just faded other colors.  Obviously that part is what I'm doing here for the Alox colors... trying to figure out what's out there to actually acquire.

And then of course you have to decide what's "in scope" and what's not.  For example... the Classic stayglow.  Is that a color or is that a material?  I tend to put it in the 'material' group... like horn or Stainless Steal or wood, and therefore isn't "in scope" for a colors collection.

I'm already running into two questions like this with Alox colors:

1. Are the SwissBianco colors considered standard colors or special order colors?  For example, if Microsoft decided to order a like grey Alox knife to give away and purchased 200 of 'em with their logo on them, I'd say that's a special order, not a standard color and wouldn't be counted anymore than if someone did a custom paint job on a Alox knife.  But what about like if the Multitool community ordered up a custom color and it was in every over way a standard Victorinox knife... no logo or strange pattern on the scales.  I'd tend to call that a limited edition, but a standard release and therefore "in scope."

So where do the SwissBianco colors fall?  Kinda in the middle... they aren't logo'd, so it isn't readily apparent that they are a custom order... but they aren't totally identical to a regular release either as they have red shields.  I'm leaning towards them being 'in scope' of the collection, but haven't fully decided yet.

2. Are ridged and smooth the same thing?  I tend to think yes... a black ridged would not be considered a different color from black smooth.  But again, it's a possible to debate that answer.

I appreciate the help that others have already given and anymore info anyone has to add would be great as well!

Offline RedRamage

Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07:35 PM
So here's the revised chart as of today.  The only changes so far from the original is the addition of a Brick Red and a Dark Blue... examples produced by ColoSwiss.

I've also run into another potential problem.  I have a larger (Cadet I think) alox knife that is orange as well as a 58mm that is orange... but the two oranges don't match.  I know my 58mm is from the color group that was released earlier that included the pink, lt blue, and lime green.  But I don't know if my larger knife is orange, or one of the many shades of orange other than standard.

When I get a chance I'll have to do a comparison against MWDP's great picture here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=50253.msg855115#msg855115 to see if I can figure out what color orange my bigger knife is.
Chart2.jpg
* Chart2.jpg (Filesize: 83.04 KB)

Offline RedRamage

Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 04:38:48 AM
Well, I've been able to add some to my collection.  Still have a number to go.
mcRed.jpg
* mcRed.jpg (Filesize: 214.2 KB)
mcOrange.jpg
* mcOrange.jpg (Filesize: 224.5 KB)
mcGreen.jpg
* mcGreen.jpg (Filesize: 214.86 KB)
mcBlue.jpg
* mcBlue.jpg (Filesize: 222.23 KB)

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:29 PM
Red Rampage,  more alox to find.  MOre mistakes to make when judging the colors over the internet. 

Thanks for sharing

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 02:12:39 PM
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Offline RedRamage

Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:46 AM
Thanks for the updated info microbe.  BTW, singleshot03... I commented in the other colors thread about getting help from collectors in determining/finding the 32 colors.  This is pretty much how it worked.  Just putting out threads, everyone shared what they then and I sorta compiled a list.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 04:58:41 PM
After looking for a while at the various SAKs, I think an important decision needs to be made.  And I'd like to get opinions of the others on this board for this question: What constitutes an "official" color released by Victorinox?  Very specifically: Should Swiss Bianco colors be considered official Victorinox colors? 

After reading through his many newsletters I get the impression that he is not adding the colors himself... that Victorinox is sending him the knifes with that color already on them.  If this is correct if gives the impression that these would be officially released colors. 

However these are also special orders that he's doing and also in very limited quantities.  This makes me think they shouldn't be considered official releases.  For example, if I special ordered from Victorinox 50 burnt umber colored Spartans and then resold them through eBay or whatever... would that be an official released color?  I'd say no.

I'm leaning towards these NOT being official releases.  Now obviously this isn't one of those critical distinctions.  If you like the Swiss Bianco colors and you can afford them, you'll collect them.  If you don't, you won't.  But there are some odd ducks like myself who like to get a "complete set" of colors released and for us it's semi-important to know what the complete set is.

If we go with this idea, then my chart begins to look like this...  I know that I'm missing the 2014 Swiss Bianco colors.  I'll add them in soon here, but here's the preliminary list.  I need help knowing if any of the other standard colors I have listed were only available as Swiss Bianco colors.
Chart3.jpg
* Chart3.jpg (Filesize: 140.13 KB)

us Offline Kid33

Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 05:25:59 PM
Id want to say Copper and Violet would have to be Swiss Bianco on the 58mm right?  Did they make those colors standard?

I myself have a small collection and as far as Alox, I only collect the 58mm.  I suppose you would have to include Swiss Bianco, because they are under warranty with Victorinox and are produced by them as well..  I think   I am not really sure.

If later down the road, you were to sell your collection, I'd say it would be more valuable with the swiss Bianco versions than without.  Especially the Ramblers which were very cool. 

I say get them all if you can afford them.  I would be curious to know everyone's opinion on Swiss Bianco's versions being official.  Cheers
A wise man speaks few words

Offline RedRamage

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:54 AM
Yeah, I'd say you're right on the Copper and Violet.  I'll move those on my list. And yeah, they are under warranty and Vic did make them... but I guess I come back to the idea: If I ordered 500 burnt umber cellidor scaled classics because my company logo uses that color, would that make it an official released Vic color?

I'll probably keep my eyes open for all the colors, but honestly, I think I'm gravitating towards 58mm with a silver outlined shield, no red inside.  Those, to me at least, look the best.

Here's what I got so far.  I'm expecting a silver alox without red in the shield any day now.  And I've got a bid out on a black alox classic.  <<fingers crossed>>
AloxColors.jpg
* AloxColors.jpg (Filesize: 215.87 KB)

us Offline Kid33

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:49 AM
Red,
      Your collection is looking good! 

I have a couple of questions.  I recieved my Blue and Red alox from the German seller today.  They came in smaller boxes and had little sheaths.  Also the Back engraving plate was really much larger than standard.  Finally, I am wondering if the Red and Blue from this Seller are the same as the French Colors?   This Blue is darker than standard I believe.  I am not sure about the red. 

I also recieved my Brown and Gunmetal classics from The French sellers.  I noticed on the back of the French alox classics the Engraved panel was already engraved with Victorinox.

I took some pics of the differences.    I still need Pink and Orange, and I think I will just get the Flash Drive versions. I actually like those.

FInally Red.. What do you think of the smooth alox classic versions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-58mm-Knife-Smooth-Black-ALOX-COMPANION-54217-/131079606448?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1e84f410b0

IMG_0112.JPG
* IMG_0112.JPG (Filesize: 146.63 KB)
IMG_0114.JPG
* IMG_0114.JPG (Filesize: 121.86 KB)
IMG_0115.JPG
* IMG_0115.JPG (Filesize: 199.86 KB)
IMG_0121.JPG
* IMG_0121.JPG (Filesize: 177.94 KB)
A wise man speaks few words

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!