Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can your EDC get you out of...

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Can your EDC get you out of...
on: June 04, 2008, 02:18:40 AM
Just a randon question I was thinking about today...could your EDC stuff get you out of the trunk of a car?  And for you bigger folks...could your EDC get you out of the back of a cargo/box truck? :D

I thought about it while I was in the back of a cargo truck today getting stuff out...if someone were to close the door and latch it shut...how would I get out?  I always put a bunch of blankets/hand truck/boxes in the path of the door so that coulden't happen without anyone taking a few seconds to move that stuff. 

Getting out would be fairly easy...if I could get to the ceiling of the box!  It looks like just fiberglass (the sun shines through fairly easily so it's thin), so I'd break a hole in it with the awl of my Spirit, then saw a chunk out.  From there I could use my Crunch to get a good grip on that busted fiberglass and start breaking out a big hole.  I'd be able to stand on the long wooden slats that run the length of the box, but it would be pretty tough.

I can't speak for the inside of a car trunk...a flashlight would have to be nessessary day or night.  I guess I could play around with the lock mechanism with my Spirit and Craftsman pry bar and release it :think:
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Can your EDC get you out of...
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:46:53 AM
I think so, of course it depends on the car.

Figure I could manipulate the latching mechanism with my multi guided by my flashlight.

Failing that I would remove whatever soundproofing/dampening material there was on the ceiling of the trunk lid and try to cut my way out using a combination of the saw/file on my multi and whatever folding I was carrying. Alternatively I would try to cut my way into the passenger compartment and get out that way.

Failing that I would use my cellphone to call for help.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:50:38 AM
I am positive that my SURGE could get me out of a trunk of a car.. It would take a little while, but I'd do it. But, then again I would like to see someone try to stuff a black belt of two different martial arts into a trunk!
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:50:41 AM
I never thought of breaking through the back seats into the passenger area, and most cars these days are fiberglass or really thin metal so filing/sawing through the trunk lid could be possible. :ahhh

I find myself doing that a lot...like if i'm in a room I'll think "how would I get out if I was locked in here :think:"
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:52:41 AM
I suppose that the big issue would be whether or not you want to damage the trunk lid or door.  You could always poke a hole with the reamer, widen it with the plier head, then saw through it with the file/metal saw.  If it was your own car, and you didn't want to damage it, that make things much more difficult...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:01:44 AM
I find myself doing that a lot...like if i'm in a room I'll think "how would I get out if I was locked in here :think:"

Me too. I like to play mental Die Hard whenever I go to any sort of facility with a waiting room.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:03:52 AM
I don't have a saw in my edc, so that could be a disadvantage. But with combination of screwdriver/plier/knife I suppose I can take a lot of stuff apart to get out.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:37:46 AM
I suppose that the big issue would be whether or not you want to damage the trunk lid or door.  You could always poke a hole with the reamer, widen it with the plier head, then saw through it with the file/metal saw.  If it was your own car, and you didn't want to damage it, that make things much more difficult...

Def

Aren't newer cars (sold after a year I can't remember) required to have an easily accesible trunk latch release inside the trunk?  Some of them are like small plasic rings or T-handles attached by a short steel cable to the trunk latch.

Failing that, on most cars it'd probably be easier to just tunnel your way into the back seat using a blade or saw.

Although, some cars do have the gas tank located between trunk and backseat - in which case, forget about it.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:53:26 AM
I am positive that my SURGE could get me out of a trunk of a car.. It would take a little while, but I'd do it. But, then again I would like to see someone try to stuff a black belt of two different martial arts into a trunk!

:D :D
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:47:16 PM
You are right- most modern cars have a release on the inside- the Mafia must hate that! :P  I figured that for this hypothetical situation that we were referring to a trunk without an internal release mechanism.  I also assumed that we were talking about a sedan of some kind, as I imagine it wouldn't be hard to escape from a locked hatchback!  :D

Jzmtl- I'm surprised you of all people don't carry a tool with a saw!  Some time ago I was out with my father on his ATV's in Northern Ontario and he got some branches rammed into the suspension of his bike.  It wasn't detrimental, but it kept that wheel from flexing, giving him a very stiff ride.  We couldn't pull the sticks out and it was just lucky that I had an OHT with me and we managed to cut them out with the saw.  I see lots of need for a wood saw off road...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:43:49 PM
But, then again I would like to see someone try to stuff a black belt of two different martial arts into a trunk!

Let me get my Black Belt attitude adjustment tool...

2 Black Belts minus one kneecap = get in the trunk.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 06:02:06 PM
Jzmtl- I'm surprised you of all people don't carry a tool with a saw!  Some time ago I was out with my father on his ATV's in Northern Ontario and he got some branches rammed into the suspension of his bike.  It wasn't detrimental, but it kept that wheel from flexing, giving him a very stiff ride.  We couldn't pull the sticks out and it was just lucky that I had an OHT with me and we managed to cut them out with the saw.  I see lots of need for a wood saw off road...

Def

When outside the city I do have one with either wave or spirit, but I spend most of my time in the city so I carry skeletool instead.

When I'm in my jeep offroad however I'm armed to the teeth with full set of hand tools plus hatchet, machete, ka-bar, etc. :D Although haven't been offroad in quite some time now since all the closer spots all turned into golf course.  :-[

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 06:48:35 PM
It depends on whose car it is. One of my friends have a tool-box and jack in the trunk and the other has nothing butt a large subwoofer.

If MacGyver can get out the trunk with a SAK I can get out with a Powerlock. Unless it’s an armored car like the limo of Prez Bush.
I guess that if you have a little knowledge about cars you can get out. At least we have a can opener on our MT
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:50:50 PM
But, then again I would like to see someone try to stuff a black belt of two different martial arts into a trunk!

(Image removed from quote.)

That does look like a good persuader :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 07:13:44 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

This is true. Plus no matter how "bad" you think you are never forget there is always someone out there even bigger and badder.

Edited to add: In my case it seems to be my Dad. He's the only man I truly fear. Even though he's 65 years old I STILL wouldn't want to mess with him. I've tried a couple times in the past and it never came out well for me.  :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:26:46 PM by ducktapehero »
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:40 PM
Yeah, I suppose. I have quite a bit more fighting styles under my belt. ( i.e Grappling, Kenpo, and even some Krav Maga!) Let me tell you, an experienced Krav Maga fighter is a force to be reckoned with! I think after I reach my godan or fifth degree black belt I will go back to doing Krav Maga!
B

Offline Biru

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:02 PM
I often thought of this same sort of question concerning elevators. It's weird I know, but I started really thinking about EDC of multitools after 9-11. I was watching a news report and this lady was complaining of not having anything handy to break cubicle glass and fiberboards (I think that was the material-it was falling debris blocking her party's escape). A MT might not ultimately save you, but it would at least be something other than a fountain pen, I guess.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 09:56:38 PM
Biru, I heard something similar about 9/11. The story I saw was that two janitors were in an elevator in one of the buildings when the first plane hit. The elevator got stuck between floors and they had to remove the rubber from their squeegees and scrape through the fiberboard to get out onto a the floor and eventually out of the building. They made due with what they had but I would feel better having and using my EDC than relying on what the environment may or may not have to use.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:34 AM
Biru, I heard something similar about 9/11. The story I saw was that two janitors were in an elevator in one of the buildings when the first plane hit. The elevator got stuck between floors and they had to remove the rubber from their squeegees and scrape through the fiberboard to get out onto a the floor and eventually out of the building. They made due with what they had but I would feel better having and using my EDC than relying on what the environment may or may not have to use.

I recall reading that story in the NY Times.  They had to cut through layers of tough material - something like sheetrock and particle board - using just squeegees and it took them a while to get through it all.

They were lucky to make it out in time.  Probably lots of people in similar circumstances didn't make it out.  Lack of decent pocket lights and SAKs probably resulted in many deaths that day.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD