Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P

RimfireNZ · 549 · 26717

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
Reply #480 on: August 16, 2018, 01:34:32 PM
That  is a nice looking rig indeed- very much like a mini G Wagon!  I like it a lot!

Too bad the Jimny has never been officially imported into North America.  I'll bet most people here have never even heard of that model.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #481 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:30 PM
Recently sold this

And bought this

Amazing how much more roomy and solid the Cruiser feels than the 4runner to me!
Same basic drivetrain too but again the Cruiser is just more refined all around in use.
The thing is a BEAST though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:56:53 PM by ezdog »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #482 on: August 16, 2018, 01:56:08 PM
 :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #483 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:38 PM
The truck you know as the Land Cruiser was originally a cheap copy of a Jeep and it was called... and I swear I am not making this up.... the BJ.

Jeep sued Toyota, claiming that the name was too close to the CJ, which was quite popular at the time, which is, of course, why Toyota wanted to copy it.  Jeep won the lawsuit and Toyota was forced to change the name, and, since they were no longer allowed to copy Jeep, they decided to copy Land Rover instead and came up with Land Cruiser.

So one could say that nowadays you can't get a BJ because Toyota gave up too easily and moved on....  :facepalm:

Def

Amusing but not entirely accurate either although the name is!
Classic too.

Toyota was commissioned to build a Willys knockoff by the U.S. Government of all sources after the Korean Conflict and that is how the CJ was cloned into the "BJ".

Bizarre story for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #484 on: August 16, 2018, 03:06:08 PM
1500 motor and lots of electronic gizmos like the big boys........but check some of the videos, Zook driving around in gutters seemingly as deep as the car is high!  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #485 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:24 PM
That  is a nice looking rig indeed- very much like a mini G Wagon!  I like it a lot!

Too bad the Jimny has never been officially imported into North America.  I'll bet most people here have never even heard of that model.

Def

Serious?  :think:

But they did sell the SJ/Samurai in the US  :think:  My zook is basically a SJ413 with a more modern engine and 5-spd gearbox......less some refinement and build quality since it comes from India (Maruti)

Two of the best SJ rebuilds I followed are both in the US....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #486 on: August 18, 2018, 03:47:09 AM
Yes the Samurai was sold here but it wasn't that popular, and they were discontinued long ago- mid to late 80's maybe?

Sadly they suffered badly from rust and there was a very persistent rumor that they would roll over easily in a turn and so folks really didn't buy too many of them.  The Tracker/Sidekick was much more popular when it debuted, as was the Vitara that it eventually morphed into, but even those are long gone.  I don't think they survived too long into the new millennium.

I had an '87 GMC rebranded Tracker in the late 90's.  It had 300,000kms on it and had been left out in the weather for months with no top on it.  I picked it up for $400 and put a lot of work into rebuilding the body before it was stolen.  It didn't have anywhere near the power that my Jeeps do, but then it also didn't have the weight!  Man we punished that thing and it kept coming back for more.  That little 1.3L sewing machine under the hood was a lot tougher than anyone gave it credit for!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #487 on: September 04, 2018, 09:45:49 AM
DSCF2419.jpg
* DSCF2419.jpg (Filesize: 392.08 KB)
DSCF2422.jpg
* DSCF2422.jpg (Filesize: 349.96 KB)
DSCF2423.jpg
* DSCF2423.jpg (Filesize: 323.56 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #488 on: September 04, 2018, 10:03:19 AM
Did quite a bit of driving over prety rough dirt trucks, nothing that necessitated low gear, but rough roads used by offroaders/tractors, with sharp stones, rocks in the middle and so on. The car coped very well, and the ground clearance was beter than I expected. My main worry was the stree based tyres.

The car was getting dirty daily for several weeks
IMG_3131 (Small).JPG
* IMG_3131 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 69.87 KB)
IMG_3135 (Small).JPG
* IMG_3135 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 62.11 KB)
IMG_3180 (Small).JPG
* IMG_3180 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 64.61 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #489 on: September 10, 2018, 06:44:35 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #490 on: September 28, 2018, 05:30:19 PM
https://youtu.be/rjYdnCYbEPA

New Suzuki Jimny - I like it

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #491 on: September 28, 2018, 06:19:24 PM
The Jimny looks really cool.  I wish we got them here.  I feel like they would be very popular.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #492 on: September 28, 2018, 06:26:56 PM
ladder frame...  :)

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #493 on: September 28, 2018, 08:37:03 PM
I do like the little Suzukis, this one I saw last year and it's pretty serious

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• No Life Club
Reply #494 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:09 AM
https://youtu.be/rjYdnCYbEPA

New Suzuki Jimny - I like it

This one hurts a bit, I'm less likely than ever to own one, but there are few things I've wanted more  :facepalm:

My buddy got his yesterday, will find out soon but my only hope is that I don't fit in it properly.....

de Offline matzesu

Reply #495 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:46 AM
Some more Unimog Pix:

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #496 on: September 08, 2019, 05:56:23 PM
That's an awesome machine. 8)  I'm not sure what my neighbours would say if I had one parked in my driveway though.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #497 on: September 08, 2019, 06:00:47 PM
Funny that this thread got bumped as I've just started looking at options to replace my Renault.  Not that I don't still love it, but it's getting long in the tooth and is started to need some big repairs.  :-\  I've been looking at a few options but not found anything to quite fit my list of wants.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #498 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:00 PM
That's an awesome machine. 8)  I'm not sure what my neighbours would say if I had one parked in my driveway though.  :D

I think we didn’t care much what our neighbors think,
They are mowing there meadows to often (whe have more a sort of a „Nature Garden „ In which every insect can find something as whe are also Beecepers..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

• No Life Club
Reply #499 on: October 11, 2019, 08:22:50 AM
I was just reminded posting in another thread....

Three weeks ago the local Suzuki dealer organized a little event during an open day at a fishing club.
Ask not why, but the fishing club has a little 4x4 track behind the club house.

The dealership brought a near standard Gypsy, previous generation Jimny in manual and an automatic 2019 Jimny.

My friend was there with his manual 2019 Jimny and ended up showing the dealership staff how to setup the car properly for low range offroading.

We went through with his Jimny first, then I took my Gypsy through and finished off the new auto Jimny.

Simply put, that little car is spectacular offroad, my opinion and the general consensus is it's almost too easy  :hatsoff:

The dealership compiled a little video with some action shots, only on Facebook but I'll post a link for those that do....

• No Life Club

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #501 on: October 15, 2019, 02:47:33 PM
Let's see if it works...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=520372848532270&id=128859761016916

Yeah, works for me.  :)  Looks like a great way to spend a day.  I hear nothing but good things about the Jimny as an off-roader. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #502 on: October 15, 2019, 07:22:04 PM
Funny that this thread got bumped as I've just started looking at options to replace my Renault.  Not that I don't still love it, but it's getting long in the tooth and is started to need some big repairs.  :-\  I've been looking at a few options but not found anything to quite fit my list of wants.

Ended up getting myself a Ford Kuga (Escape in the US).  Definitely not a serious off-roader but should be more than capable of the farm tracks, muddy fields and snowy roads I deal with. 

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #503 on: October 15, 2019, 09:41:50 PM
My F350 crew cab with 8ft bed is mighty long, so I cant take it on serious trails.

But the winter months give my 4x4 a workout.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #504 on: October 15, 2019, 09:54:22 PM
I have had my 15 year old terrano2 for ten years. I Bought it after a couple of bad winters where my van would get stuck all to easy in the ice and snow.  In the last ten years my main hobbies have been airgun target shooting, mountainbiking and metal detecting for all of which the 4 wheel drive has proved useful.
Especially the metal detecting as it regularly takes me across farmers fields.

It’s still in great condition apart from someone hitting it and driving off last year cracking the front bumper.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

• No Life Club
Reply #505 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:29 AM
Yeah, works for me.  :)  Looks like a great way to spend a day.  I hear nothing but good things about the Jimny as an off-roader.

From some videos I watched, a few inches lift and slightly larger wheels makes it unstoppable.

It's very easy to underestimate these little cars, I went with my friend in the blue Jimny first, and looking at the track I was a bit apprehensive, but I went through so easy, only spun a bit once and had to get a bit more momentum going to get through.

I would love a new Jimny, but the way my career is going I don't dare make that much debt, I paid off my Gypsy with part of my redundancy package, and baring accidents it should outlast me...... :whistle: 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #506 on: September 18, 2020, 02:58:39 PM
Ended up getting myself a Ford Kuga (Escape in the US).  Definitely not a serious off-roader but should be more than capable of the farm tracks, muddy fields and snowy roads I deal with.

Ah, nearly a year on and I still miss my old Koleos. Not that I have anything against the Kuga mind you.  It's been absolutely fine.  Just a lot more run-of-the-mill and hard to spot in the supermarket car park.  ;)

On the up side I went to see how much it had depreciated in the last year and was a little surprised to see the prices have going up.  If I wanted to my my exact car today (same year, trim, mileage etc) I'd have to spend around £2000 more than I did last year! More 2020 madness I suppose.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #507 on: September 18, 2020, 04:00:47 PM
I've owned Range Rover, Suzuki, Toyota, Land Rover, and Isuzu 4x4's across 30 years.   I finally broke down and bought a Jeep Wrangler, and we're very pleased so far.  3,000 miles on it without a check engine light -- could be a Jeep record?  ;)

I still have my Land Rover, which is in its 26th year of ownership with me.  We recently sold a 5th gen 4Runner, which was brilliant and competent but didn't have much personality.  Wifey's driving an X3, which hardly counts, but is still useful for just-barely-off-the-beaten-path camping and exploration.

Here's my old 4Runner, which I sold to a friend:

And my old Rover on a garden store run a few years ago:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #508 on: September 18, 2020, 04:37:41 PM
^
Bible and sword! That Landy is a true looker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #509 on: October 17, 2020, 10:16:32 PM
New model, new quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtdBunnvnq4&t=178s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBVZyvfiqKw&t=0s

and this is the basic model, with the least electronics

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%